INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

This is really neat. We haven't built ours yet. But I'm excited to see how ours will look. I like how it's a converted shed, simple, functional. We have lots of scrap wood though so we are going to start fresh. We will post pictures soon! (that is, me and farmguy2007, my fiance) We are in Indianapolis, and none of our neighbors have chickens, so this will be fuuuuunnnnn... haha! I'm so excited.
Great pictures cluck acres and crafty chick! Ill have to try and get some pics of my coop. I think I posted some in another thread on here. Ill try to find them
Edit: here they are from earlier this year. Where the temporary white wire pen is on back wall, that is where my lay boxes are located. I also added another double roost on the left wall to mimic the right wall.

And the front storage area.

Well, after my yapping about the cold, we lost a chicken last night (1st year white rock). :( She was fine when my son gave them some scratch and checked waters around 6 a.m. Then he went back out about an hour later to let them out and she was dead. We looked her over well and it looked like she had something going on with her vent -- maybe she was egg bound or prolapsed. We didn't notice anything wrong with her, but I haven't been hanging around watching them as much since it's been so cold.
hit.gif

I brought in a leghorn last night that I thought had some kind of problem, too. Maybe I'll go back to worrying. Ugh.

So sorry about losing your hen.
hugs.gif

Just checked on my little flock, and they seem to be doing just fine, despite the cold. I gave them the option to go outside & they took it. They don't seem to care.

We have had easter eggs out there for a little over a week, but the chickens are treaing them like toys and scooting them out of the boxes to play with them. I will try golf balls later this week.
I found ceramic eggs that look identical to real eggs...at the HARDWARE store! Seemed like a strange place to find them but they were in a small "craft" area. I've heard you can get them at places like Hobby Lobby, Sewing and craft stores, etc. The hardware had both wooden and ceramic.

Those things look and feel so real that I had to put a small mark on them to be able to distinguish them from the real eggs. I think they cost about .75 cents each!

They came in brown and white.

Last edited:
Up here it was a "Do It Best" hardware but that particular hardware has a housewares and craft area so it may not be typical to other Do It Best hardware stores. (Specifically it was this one: http://www.yodershardware.com/ ) Some of the Do It Best stores in the South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart area have crafts/housewares too but not as large a selection.

I DO know I also see them in places like JoAnns Fabric; Michaels Crafts; Hobby Lobby and the like. Not sure what you have in your area for crafts & fabrics but you could call before going. I've seen them in all the craft stores and they're pretty nice! True to size, weight, color.

Last edited:
Up here it was a "Do It Best" hardware but that particular hardware has a housewares and craft area so it may not be typical to other Do It Best hardware stores. (Specifically it was this one: http://www.yodershardware.com/ ) Some of the Do It Best stores in the South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart area have crafts/housewares too but not as large a selection.

I DO know I also see them in places like JoAnns Fabric; Michaels Crafts; Hobby Lobby and the like. Not sure what you have in your area for crafts & fabrics but you could call before going. I've seen them in all the craft stores and they're pretty nice! True to size, weight, color.

I spoke to the owner of a do it best in the area my mom grew up in and they allow the shop owners to customize the set up of the hardware store to their comunity so I figure even if you don't see them at your local one they could easily order some for you......

Lost my black copper Marans roo over night. He had been acting lethargic but seemed better yesterday and was eating well. He was a really nice friendly guy and had shown well; going to miss him.
hit.gif

I still have a young cockerel penned that seems promising, and two cockerels running around that have side sprigs, so don't want to breed those. So hard to get the Marans going; they're susceptible to so many things. Still too new to the U.S. and not a large enough gene pool.
Everyone else seems to be handling the cold. They get upset when I take away their waterers in the evening but are sure happy when I bring them back. I have heated waterers wherever there is electricity but most have rubber pans. Forgot to close the overhead door in the big building--now I have to brave the cold again.
tongue.gif

Picked up my unpasteurized ACV today; going to try the fermenting.

Back
Top Bottom