INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Jchny~ I would have to shovel out the dirt... but the dirt is about 4 inches high, the water I would say is at about 3". Its just a sloppy mud mess. I built the frame on the concrete pad so I wouldn't have to worry about pests digging in... but didn't know it would get so wet. I already use PDZ in their loft where they roost. But, Idont think Iwill on a floor until Iknow it will stay dry.

Bacon~ I stood out there today looking at the roof. It's particle board with shingles over it. No leaks, and it has a slanted roof for runoff towards the back out it. It may just be the area... the ground around it is sandy, flat, and next to the farmers irrigation pump.

Bacon~ I stood out there today looking at the roof. It's particle board with shingles over it. No leaks, and it has a slanted roof for runoff towards the back out it. It may just be the area... the ground around it is sandy, flat, and next to the farmers irrigation pump.
I think the main thing is to figure out how the water is getting in. Building a wood floor that will sit in water will rot away, even if pressure treated. If the water is running in from outside, you will have to figure out some sort or drainage to route the water around the coop--assuming it is on a slight slope and the water can actually drain. If the land is completely flat, then you may have to build some sort of levee or dyke around it. Could the water possible be coming under a door or leaking around a window? With my new doors, a strong wind will drive rain under it. I have not yet built a type of gasket or water block for it. I know water problems can be frustrating.
he.gif

Hello, everyone! Just finished reading this whole thread - love the idea of more chicken peeps in my "neighborhood"!
big_smile.png
ADD ME, please! I'm from La Porte, IN (46350). This will be year 4 of chickenhood for me. Am VERY lucky to have an existing old horse barn on my land to put a coop in...then added a huge indoor run (for all this gorgeous weather we are having) and a large covered outdoor run. My current flock is 32...but 8 of them are roos
roll.png
SOOOO that means I have to get more hens, right??? Hence the 36 babies in the brooder inside and the 6 newbies I snuck out with from TSC today (don't tell DH
hide.gif
). My original flock was all Partridge Rocks - which are EXCELLENT birds. Added some BSL and RSL on year two. And went hogwild on year 3 and just got one of anything I liked!!
wink.png
lau.gif
So excited about hatching a bunch of beautiful mixed-breed babies this year. The 3-week-olds in the brooder are mostly Polish crosses and I'm gonna have some extra cockerals...I will post pics of the ones I will give away (pick-up only) once I seperate them. I'm planning on doing a BUNCH of hatching, so I should have random mutt chicks available most of the year as well as mutt hatching eggs if anyone is interested (they are all layer birds). Great to "get to know" some fellow chicken people!

Oh, I would like being outside doing things than cleaning inside. I was raised out on a farm with like 5 channels on tv, so we just went out and built forts, played in the creek, rode bikes ect. It's trying to keep the kids occupied while I do it. I don't mind them getting muddy, but it goes quicker if they aren't under my feet.

Hello, everyone! Just finished reading this whole thread - love the idea of more chicken peeps in my "neighborhood"!
big_smile.png
ADD ME, please! I'm from La Porte, IN (46350). This will be year 4 of chickenhood for me. Am VERY lucky to have an existing old horse barn on my land to put a coop in...then added a huge indoor run (for all this gorgeous weather we are having) and a large covered outdoor run. My current flock is 32...but 8 of them are roos
roll.png
SOOOO that means I have to get more hens, right??? Hence the 36 babies in the brooder inside and the 6 newbies I snuck out with from TSC today (don't tell DH
hide.gif
). My original flock was all Partridge Rocks - which are EXCELLENT birds. Added some BSL and RSL on year two. And went hogwild on year 3 and just got one of anything I liked!!
wink.png
lau.gif
So excited about hatching a bunch of beautiful mixed-breed babies this year. The 3-week-olds in the brooder are mostly Polish crosses and I'm gonna have some extra cockerals...I will post pics of the ones I will give away (pick-up only) once I seperate them. I'm planning on doing a BUNCH of hatching, so I should have random mutt chicks available most of the year as well as mutt hatching eggs if anyone is interested (they are all layer birds). Great to "get to know" some fellow chicken people!
welcome!

Oh, I would like being outside doing things than cleaning inside. I was raised out on a farm with like 5 channels on tv, so we just went out and built forts, played in the creek, rode bikes ect. It's trying to keep the kids occupied while I do it. I don't mind them getting muddy, but it goes quicker if they aren't under my feet.
I was rasied in the city, but I was always outside when growing up, too! I hope the wweather cooperates for your chore.

Back
Top Bottom