INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Question. Will it hurt to add 2 more eggs to the bator even though I set the rest of my eggs lastnight? I'm asking because my Colombian hen laid one this morning and was still sitting on it when I let them out of the coop. I want to put it in with the others, I know hers are fertile, she is one of my roos favorites. I have seen her breeding. Can someone please tell me if this will hurt or if its ok to add them now.
no. it would not be a problem to add the new one or two. I would suggest marking them with an indentifier so you know they should hatch a day or so later than the others.

just for information, I was at TSC in Noblesville last evening to pick up some feed. They had "reds", white leghorns, ducks (not sure what kind), 'bantams', and some other white ones I did not see any signage as for for breed. They may be Rocks, but I do not know. I restrained myself from getting some leghorns since I already have 17 to deal with right now and I have no more room for babies. hahaha

I still have those two young cockerels available. I was hoping for 5 each, but am getting to the point I just need to find new homes for them very soon as the youngest group really needs to expand from their current area.

Question. Will it hurt to add 2 more eggs to the bator even though I set the rest of my eggs lastnight? I'm asking because my Colombian hen laid one this morning and was still sitting on it when I let them out of the coop. I want to put it in with the others, I know hers are fertile, she is one of my roos favorites. I have seen her breeding. Can someone please tell me if this will hurt or if its ok to add them now.
I add eggs in all the time (shipped ones) I just Put the date they go into lockdown on them, so I know they'll hatch a different date.

Lost my two Pekin ducks last night.. the hen and drake.. I'm so sad/mad this morning. Only one puncture site noted to the back no torn feathers or any other damage. It must have happened some time early this AM :( thinking I'm going to leave my farm dog out at night now. Thinking possibly racoon as I have my property double fenced so if a dog got in it wouldn't get out.

I know when I hatched these guys I said they're just ducks not going to get emotional as I know nature happens.. well I was bawling my eyes out when I found them.. Needless to say whether the last duck my Rouen hen likes it or not she's getting penned at night.

hit.gif

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a weasel. A weasel will puncture the back and draw all the blood out and thats it. It will leave the body looking like there was no damage.

anyone in the southern indiana area with silkie chicks? they have some at TSC and my daughter would really like a couple, but I would prefer to purchase from someone on here.

She likes blues and i like partridge/browns.

anyone in the southern indiana area with silkie chicks? they have some at TSC and my daughter would really like a couple, but I would prefer to purchase from someone on here.

She likes blues and i like partridge/browns.
I don't know if they have any for sale at this time, but get with Little Americana Mom and SebrightMom on the forum. They are mother and daughter and have BEAUTIFUL silkies.

Lost my two Pekin ducks last night.. the hen and drake.. I'm so sad/mad this morning. Only one puncture site noted to the back no torn feathers or any other damage. It must have happened some time early this AM :( thinking I'm going to leave my farm dog out at night now. Thinking possibly racoon as I have my property double fenced so if a dog got in it wouldn't get out.

I know when I hatched these guys I said they're just ducks not going to get emotional as I know nature happens.. well I was bawling my eyes out when I found them.. Needless to say whether the last duck my Rouen hen likes it or not she's getting penned at night.

hit.gif

hugs.gif
I am soo very sorry. You always get attached, can't be helped lol
Yep, do it right away, as soon as they reach room temp, you should be fine. If they are still warm, I would set them immediately after you candle :)

Vickichicki- so sorry you lost one.

I showed my DH the pic of Cluckacres egg turner- he asked what it was and when I would start doing that? I think he has given in!!!
Hahaha, chickenmathitis has infected him!!!

Thank you all for the wonderful words. The others are doing great.
Really excited for your pipping chicks jchny!
Think I would be a nervous wreck hatching my own, wanting to help them out their shells. Constantly checking temps and humidity. As for lock down... Well... Lots of caffeine so I did not need to sleep so I could watch the whole time.
big_smile.png
Oh my, need sleep bad.....
th.gif
#3 is out, #4 is trying hard!

Will keep trying for good pics. Camera is lousy

Last edited:
Here are the links to my vids of the chinks-n-ducks we got. Don't mind the comments
th.gif
on them. vickichicki Sorry to hear you lost one.
hugs.gif
I hope everyone has a great year for chicks-n-ducks this time around. I know it will be some time before ours will need a coop. But are still getting everything ready for the day the move out.

Back
Top Bottom