INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Check out this article about the reintroduction of Bald Eagles by Lake Monroe.
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative.../journeywithnature/bald-eagles-in-indiana.xml
You would be very surprised to know how many Bald Eagles are in Indiana, now. I believe they are over 100 mating pairs of Bald Eagles in Indiana.

Does anyone know if a Falcon can take a chicken? I have seen two of them in my area. I think they are a mated pair.

Elizabeth
yippiechickie.gif
Very Cool Elizabeth!

The one I saw was around the Eagle Creek Reservoir (close to where I use to live). I'll bet many years ago they were plentiful in that area.

Well i have a job interview tomorrow! Its at a chicken egg plant. We have all kinds of chicken plants around where i live. They only do eggs at this plant so that makes me feel alot better about it. If it was a plant that butchers them i dont think i could work there.
Sorry you did not get the job. I hope you get hired on at the other place real soon.
If it saves my flocks lives then i dont care what they look like. LOL I have been thinking of what i could use around here that would work as well.
Some one posted a while back in one of the many hawk threads about a homemade mirrored spinning cone. Basically it was a dunce cone cap with lots of varying sized small mirrors glued on all over it. Then once it was hung up, the wind would spin it. They said it worked well.

I've got 3 eggs in the incubator. Tomorrow is day 18. When do I raise the humidity and lock up the incubator? I was thinking it was the evening of day 18 but I want to be sure.

Last edited:
I finally caught the predators in the act. I heard my flock and roosters start going off like crazy. I ran outside and 2 huge red tail hawks. I let out a crazy loud yell at them 1 took off and another landed in the tree. I ran out towards tree and it took off to neighbors tree. The other 1 then flew into the tree with it. They took off then and came came back with another one. All 3 came from up behind the barn from where nobody could see them until its too late. They seen me out there and few off I watched them and they went across the field and flew around another neighbor's house down the road. Then they disappeared again. I'm so proud of my Appenzeller Rooster when i ran outside he was in the middle of the road running making all kinds of noise. The rest of the flock was running towards the coop. My Appenzeller was going to take the heat and save the rest of my flock. If if wouldn't of gotten out there when i did the hawk would have taken off with him because the hawk was swooping down at him! I need to do something quick about this before they come back again.

I finally caught the predators in the act. I heard my flock and roosters start going off like crazy. I ran outside and 2 huge red tail hawks. I let out a crazy loud yell at them 1 took off and another landed in the tree. I ran out towards tree and it took off to neighbors tree. The other 1 then flew into the tree with it. They took off then and came came back with another one. All 3 came from up behind the barn from where nobody could see them until its too late. They seen me out there and few off I watched them and they went across the field and flew around another neighbor's house down the road. Then they disappeared again. I'm so proud of my Appenzeller Rooster when i ran outside he was in the middle of the road running making all kinds of noise. The rest of the flock was running towards the coop. My Appenzeller was going to take the heat and save the rest of my flock. If if wouldn't of gotten out there when i did the hawk would have taken off with him because the hawk was swooping down at him! I need to do something quick about this before they come back again.
awe glad they didnt take any

hi all...I have not been in here for a while. Looks like I missed alot! Cluck...glad you were able to fend off the hawks. I have one that swings by from time to time here. So far, no damage! Three nights ago my dog raced outside and was barking like crazy at 2:30am. I woke up and went out to get him to make him be quiet. I walked to the end of the yard and turned towards the back of the coop and there was the dog, barking like he was possessed. However, insted of barking through the fence to outside the yard like normal, he was looking at the gate to the chicken pen. There on the gate was a large raccoon! The 'coon was as big as my dog..hahaha I grabbed a board and convinced it to leave. However, now it has me spooked and once this snow goes away, I am going to strengthen the coop security. I have lived here for 11 years and that is the first 'coon I have seen.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom