INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Ugh, it's been a busy hot week so far.

I thought I was going to have a sad post about losing my favorite chicken yesterday. Cheeks, my nicely bearded EE was missing. No feathers, nothing. After catching so many critters, I thought maybe one got smart and got her. (And so sorry to hear about the recent losses that a few have posted. It's tough.)

SO I go to throw them some cereal that had just gone past human consumption quality and all the sudden I see this chicken fly out of some weeds and then land just outside the fence. It is Cheeks! She relieves herself (a large one...sorry) and comes running into the chicken yard for treats. So I think, well she was hiding, but then I'm thinking, no something else is going on here.

I got 3 eggs from her starting Father's Day and then have had NOTHING since. I was not happy to see that the only layer had stopped laying. After 3 days. I walk around the area where Cheeks flew out of and nestled into a dug out part tree rooting is a pile of eggs!

There are 19. 19! So Cheeks has been laying consistently for a few weeks. I go tell my DM and DF the good news. How I got a broody EE after +/- 22 layed eggs, I don't know. And Ozzy, my adopted Birchen Marans is her main squeeze and he is on her all the time. Ornery Roo!

And here she is settled over (almost all) 19 eggs. I marked them, but I am going to move her today so I will candle them at that point. Hopefully she transitions ok.

And then I will patiently be waiting to see what comes out!!
pop.gif

So will a Marans X EE be Olive Eggers? Granted Chewie, the black Cochin hasn't had his way. Probably not, Ozzy is pretty selfish of her.
Great news. One thing to note - 19 eggs is way too many for one hen to cover. She will circulate the eggs on the nest, and any that are developing will sooner or later be on the edges and get cold and die. Once you have candled and checked for development (If she just went missing and started brooding yesterday, you probably won't see anything). I would select the nicest eggs and have her incubate those. Depending on egg size and her size you are probably looking at 6-10 eggs. You want to make sure she can easily cover the number of eggs you put under her.

Ugh, it's been a busy hot week so far.

I thought I was going to have a sad post about losing my favorite chicken yesterday. Cheeks, my nicely bearded EE was missing. No feathers, nothing. After catching so many critters, I thought maybe one got smart and got her. (And so sorry to hear about the recent losses that a few have posted. It's tough.)

SO I go to throw them some cereal that had just gone past human consumption quality and all the sudden I see this chicken fly out of some weeds and then land just outside the fence. It is Cheeks! She relieves herself (a large one...sorry) and comes running into the chicken yard for treats. So I think, well she was hiding, but then I'm thinking, no something else is going on here.

I got 3 eggs from her starting Father's Day and then have had NOTHING since. I was not happy to see that the only layer had stopped laying. After 3 days. I walk around the area where Cheeks flew out of and nestled into a dug out part tree rooting is a pile of eggs!

There are 19. 19! So Cheeks has been laying consistently for a few weeks. I go tell my DM and DF the good news. How I got a broody EE after +/- 22 layed eggs, I don't know. And Ozzy, my adopted Birchen Marans is her main squeeze and he is on her all the time. Ornery Roo!

And here she is settled over (almost all) 19 eggs. I marked them, but I am going to move her today so I will candle them at that point. Hopefully she transitions ok.

And then I will patiently be waiting to see what comes out!!
pop.gif

So will a Marans X EE be Olive Eggers? Granted Chewie, the black Cochin hasn't had his way. Probably not, Ozzy is pretty selfish of her.

Woo hoo!!! Congrats!!! We may be grandmas at the same time! My poor broody only got 6 eggs though, and I have her firmly ensconced in a maternity ward so no one can add to her egg collection (not that those eggs would be likely to be fertile but my Bielie roo has flown the coop in with the egg layers a couple of times so you never know!). I would think you could easily get some olive eggers, the birchens seem to have an almost welsummer colored egg, not quite chocolate but darker than the average egg. Almost a teracotta color. So my guess is it will be a lighter or medium shade of green. Man Ozzie sure is a gorgeous boy! He looks incredible!! Did Chewie's eye ever get better?

We're north of Indy and have a mixed flock. This is our third year. BTW, I am a veterinarian and do PT testing for NPIP certification, and also split my ginormous bottle of antigen with folks who do their own testing. Message me if I can help.
Welcome! I am new to Chickens, can you educate me: What is PT testing for NPIP cert??

So sorry you lost a Silkie.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone ~ I've had a few PMs asking what Chickenfest is all about, so I'm reposting the info. Anyone can still make reservations ~ we had an earlier deadline because we needed to make sure we had enough interest to rent the facility. Newcomers to our thread are certainly invited to attend! We are a friendly bunch.

There's also a Chickenfest thread with info about covered dishes, rsvps, and live poultry that members are bringing to sell.
Indiana Chickenfest 2014 - Backyard Chickens

So have any of you ever had a chicken with chronic sinus issues? Lily one of my 9 month old silkies has had about 4 bouts of half her face swelling up and sometimes her eye waters. I have given her tylan orally and it knocks it out each time, but comes back a couple months later. She eats and drinks fine, doesnt act lethargic, and the vet I consulted the first time it happened said it didn't sound like mycoplasmosis. None of my other birds have ever had this. She gets it after a long stretch of wet weather or if it is really dusty. I didn't think chickens could get chronic sinusitis, but thats really what it seems like. Its only one side at a time. I winder if maybe her sinus are deformed somehow. Her face was swollen again today, so I did our usual eye drops, vet rx on the comb nostrils under wings and throat, and Im waiting to administer atibiotics to see if the other two things will help on their own. I don't want to keep giving her the anti's because I think they have already stunted her. She is my only pullet never to lay an egg, and she is very petite. Not a lot of muscle tone, which is a side effect of tylan. I just thought I would put this out there to see if any of you all have had the same issue.

Back
Top Bottom