INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I was flipping through my phone last night, and came across some pictures I took at the Cher concert in Indianapolis, recently. If any of you went to the event, you'll likely agree it was a great concert. Her many outfit changes are a fun part of the show.
I snapped this pic of the singer, Cher, in a headdress, as she was walking away. Looks a lot like the recent pic of our sizzle, Cher, don't you think?

LOL! Our were named after rock stars too. Bowie and Jagger were my first roos, Tina (SLP) and Linda (GLP) for the 2 hens I kept
lau.gif
My roo, Penelope knows his name so it stays the same. Haven't named any chicks yet tho!
Quote: Yes thats the one. I use it first for any new birds, then follow up in a few weeks with the pour on.

I got behind in last couple days but wanted t share these pics. Lol Pickles is definitely settling in well...wouldn't u say? Lol

I bright her in t chk her feet. She's all healed up!!! Yay!

Adorable pics! Thanks for sharing!
Okay - technically it is not actually in Richmond, but it is close, in Fountain City. The kids and I are driving across 70 tomorrow and I am trying to decide if I want to stop - but then I have to carry grains around in my car for the next 2 weeks! Sorry I would have posted yesterday but we were busy and I had to dig up the info!

Fountain Acres Foods
  • 1140 W Whitewater Rd
    Fountain City, IN 47341
  • (765) 847-1897
You can walk in and buy bulk grains, I have heard that you also can order say a 50 lb. bag of wheat but I have never done that before. Have always meant to but often we are passing thru there on Sunday when they are closed.

Thanks! We will be calling about red wheat, 50 pounds will plant a lot!

I am so far behind on posts! DD and I went to the fair yesterday for a few hours- proudly wore our shirts but did not see anyone else!

The kids and I are getting ready to leave for 2 1/2 weeks. I am so sad to leave my babies for that long. The good news is my Hubby does not have to have surgery - actually a cannot. He is an amputee and the surgery would compromise his stump. But he has a long recovery at least 6-8 months. So That leaves me to take my son to camp in NY b/c it is too painful for him to travel. With hubby unable to go back to his bus driving job, it is too expensive to take my son drive home and go back and get him 2 weeks later so we are staying with friends and family while he is at camp. I just hope the babes remember me! It kills me to be away from them that long! But it will be good for them to bond more with my hubby.

Some pics to share.

Cordelia - the leader of the rebellion she is thinking- "I will perch and sleep on the top of the umbrella b/c it is the highest place in the run!". The two other "Littles" were trying to join her (the big girls could never make it up there!), they have made it up there before but Cordelia has perfected the act of getting at the highest point without sliding down the umbrella.

So then I closed the umbrella so "The Littles" decided to perch on me instead b/c at that point I was the highest point in the run! After being quarantined in the house with me for a week - Rapunzel the Buff Orp thinks I am a chicken - while on my shoulder she was preening my hair! Sven is the roo - he is the youngest but already doing his job, standing up to the big girls and helping "The Littles" get integrated better.

Okay, I gotta run and pack - but I had to share!

Oh my, loved this pic!
hugs.gif
Sending thoughts and prayers for your DH and your family as well. Sound like a busy summer for you! So glad your lil Rapunzel is doing well, she is a doll.

Hello! My family and I got some sexed EE chicks last spring and one of our 4 hens turned out to be a roo! We are within Jeffersonville city limits and although we have a good relationship with our neighbors, I am afraid his crow will wear out his welcome come fall. He is stunning and i would hate to have to turn him into broth but we have been unable to find a home for him.Is there anyone on here who is looking?
welcome-byc.gif
and our thread
frow.gif
He is very handsome! If you have no takers, some of our members do chicken trains to transport birds, and he is welcome here. I take in unwanted roos when I have space. Usually, They find homes pretty fast with birds I sell or rehome. We rarely process roosters unless they are cruel to the hens. Its difficult for me to go anywhere to pick a bird up, I care for my parents full time.

Quote: The last egg did not hatch. It had started growing the black bacteria spot. And while it was not completely rotten it smelled strongly of burnt hard cook eggs. I had not candled or I would have tossed it much sooner, but I also kind of wanted to test the eggs. I had read that candling was not really needed as a clear egg or even a started then stopped egg would not explode in the first 18 days. I had not tested that in my incubator but had the egg exploded under a hen she would have cleaned up the mess. Instead the black barn cat got it. The kitten and the gray cat were too busy rolling around playing in the dirt to even care.

And in great news, the barn cats killed 2 starlings or some other wild annoying black bird last night along with at least 3 mice, meaning at least one of the cats went on a killing spree but did not touch any of the 4 chicks.
My lil Sassy is very good about not harming the tiniest chick. My EE Bunny has all 4 of hers still yet, They are about 4 weeks old now I think? Sassy will even sleep in the egg coop. She will grab any mouse or wild bird she sees and FAST. We have a lot of the little bluebirds, and I know she has taken a few
sad.png
She did eyeball the baby ducks, but miss Huey attacked her and that was THAT!

Quote: Thats my first question on any seeds I buy.

@SallyinIndiana

You might check out Molly's herbal wormers for goats. http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

With the herbals, there is evidence that the parasites don't build up a resistance when herb sources are used.
Excellent site, Sugars prior owner told me about the website, and I go there a lot for birthing info, lots of good tips.

There are some treatments that aren't visible, however. So you can't just look at them.

Side story.. Seeds for thought....
My husband works for a "feeding charity" that accepts donations of all kinds of food items. They got in a shipment of GM soybeans and another kind of seed as well which I don't remember. Of course the seeds were treated with herbicides and the bags were all labeled as poison and hazardous to health. Had to have HAZMAT shipping papers, etc.
Yeaaa makes you wonder. That would all have went to the trash.

@Leahs Mom Thanks for the links. We ended up getting an injection kind last night at TSC. I'll try the herbals when the injections run out so long as the vet is ok with it. She is very local and I guess this year has been bad for worms in goats. She told us that she has even lost a few to worms. That got me overly worried I'm sure but I had to treat the goats LAST NIGHT so that I could sleep well. They were showing very very slight signs of worms and I know I would have tossed and turned just wondering about the goats.

Molly's website is full of info. I keep going back there. Still I tend to learn more every time.
Its on my favorites too!

Quote: DH has spent literally hundreds trying different weed killers. Some even used diesel fuels! I vote for the vinegar hands down, and its sure a lot safer for my birds. Thanks so much for sharing this
bow.gif

I made a group on FB for NE Indiana poultry Buy/Sell/Trade. I thought it would be helpful for us in NE Indiana to locate available poultry.

https://facebook.com/groups/512745952205086?view=pinned&ref=bookmark
awesome! Will go and LIKE it!

Quote:
pop.gif
I use a pump up 2 gallon type right now, always looking for other ideas. DH has a 30 gallon powered (car battery i think) sprayer we put on a trailer. If this works, I will be buying a lot of vinegar and salt
lau.gif

We had our first Black Orpington today. She was delicious!

We got a few double-yolk eggs last week. What happens if they're fertilized and set to try to hatch?
Its been done, what normally happens is the first chick hatching will puncture veins or the sac of the second, both die (drown).
That's been my experience with it, and I gave up. My 2 year old Cornish Cross hen usually lays doubles, and I finally gave up. I did get one chick from her that survived, that hen is as big as her mother.

Some of our alpacas and fleece:

Also, Windswept farm in churubusco, is downsizing their farm. We are at our limit with 8 alpacas, but they have somevery nice ones if anyone is interested. I dont thinkthey are asking a lot for them. Jack and Anita Greider. They are very nice people.

Gorgeous alpacas! I weave and knit and crochet, and just love alpaca wool. I've found it quite non-allergenic, and so soft! I'd like to learn how to spin so I can make my own, but just haven't found the time yet.

I am so far behind on posts! DD and I went to the fair yesterday for a few hours- proudly wore our shirts but did not see anyone else! [COLOR=333333]The kids and I are getting ready to leave for 2 1/2 weeks. I am so sad to leave my babies for that long. The good news is my Hubby does not have to have surgery - actually a cannot. He is an amputee and the surgery would compromise his stump. But he has a long recovery at least 6-8 months. So That leaves me to take my son to camp in NY b/c it is too painful for him to travel. With hubby unable to go back to his bus driving job, it is too expensive to take my son drive home and go back and get him 2 weeks later so we are staying with friends and family while he is at camp. I just hope the babes remember me! It kills me to be away from them that long! But it will be good for them to bond more with my hubby. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Some pics to share.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Cordelia - the leader of the rebellion she is thinking- "I will perch and sleep on the top of the umbrella b/c it is the highest place in the run!". The two other "Littles" were trying to join her (the big girls could never make it up there!), they have made it up there before but Cordelia has perfected the act of getting at the highest point without sliding down the umbrella.[/COLOR] So then I closed the umbrella so "The Littles" decided to perch on me instead b/c at that point I was the highest point in the run! After being quarantined in the house with me for a week - Rapunzel the Buff Orp thinks I am a chicken - while on my shoulder she was preening my hair! Sven is the roo - he is the youngest but already doing his job, standing up to the big girls and helping "The Littles" get integrated better. Okay, I gotta run and pack - but I had to share! [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Glad your DH doesn't need surgery but sorry for his long recovery and the stress for your family. We'll be thinking of you. LOVE the pics - so cute all lined up on your arm. Drive safe!

I'm very, very sleepy
BOOOOO!
ep.gif
YEA NOT FALLING ASLEEP THIS TIME
lau.gif

Quote: My nephew is on his guitar nonstop. Love to listen to him play, he loves classic rock and christian rock too.

Quote: Precious
love.gif
you are awesome giving them a chance to live.

Quote:
Its a very hard choice. I know you thought it out and I understand why.
Quote: Rocks are a fantastic breed. I had some partridge 2 years ago I wish I had kept! They were very large hens, and very sweet. I got caught up in the "get the newest breeds" and traded them off. Mabel, my oldest BR hen is one of my favorites. I bought more Barred rock this spring, and those lil girls are just sweethearts too. Sometimes the traditional "boring" breeds are really the best IMO. I added WLH, BR, RIR and JG this spring to have just "layers" and am really pleased with all of them. As usual, no roos! So I keep gathering any roos I can to keep my flocks going and not buy chicks next year.

@SallyinIndiana

You might check out Molly's herbal wormers for goats.  http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

With the herbals, there is evidence that the parasites don't build up a resistance when herb sources are used.

I am skeptical about claims that resistance doesn't evolve to herbal remedies. They create the same selective force that any medication would, in which any parasites that have better survival rates in the presence of the herbal remedy will increase in frequency, eventually leading to a population of parasites that are all resistant. The real way to get rid of an infection/parasite is to give multiple drugs/herbal remedies that work in different ways all at the same time or in quick succession. That kills everything because it is unlikely that any individual parasite is resistant to all the different methods of action of the multiple drugs/herbs. (Note that I am speaking as a biologist here, not as veterinarian, so I'm not suggesting a treatment plan, just talking about the evolution of drug resistance).

Last edited:
Some of our alpacas and fleece

Also, Windswept farm in churubusco, is downsizing their farm. We are at our limit with 8 alpacas, but they have somevery nice ones if anyone is interested. I dont thinkthey are asking a lot for them. Jack and Anita Greider. They are very nice people.
I hope to add them again next spring but just cant do it right now. Love your last pic, looks just like my Beanie did!

Heyy everyone I'm back for a little bit how is everyone doing? Good news I'm working on getting my homeschool diploma
smile.png
I'm going to the excel center of anyone needs me message me
frow.gif
So good to hear from you! Best of luck with your studies. Mother2Hens was trying to reach you also, check your pm's.

Quote: I looked at spinning a lot when I had my boys, its very interesting and i plan to do it. There are mobile wheels much less costly than a traditional wheel. My gramma did with sheeps wool and created so many beautiful things. Alpaca being hypo allergenic really had me! They are a gentle sweet animal and much like a goat or a horse.. I am hoping to start again with younger animals and keep them with the goats. Starting with adults is very difficult, you have to learn them, and try to correct and manage personality differences. We went thru rezoning here last year, and the animal per square foot ruling prevented me from keeping them and cows too. We've since won and can still keep both, so I plan to add alpaca again! I loved Beanie so much, he was a ham. Comet was smaller and a handful, loved my youngest DD most.

Back
Top Bottom