INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We get our freezer beef from Poe's Quality Meats in Franklin.  The guy's name is Keegan Poe.  I'm not sure if he sells live cows or not.  But if you are looking for a dairy cow, he might know who to get in contact with.  I do know his cows taste great. 

We are getting a ground beef half a cow this Oct and another half of a younger cow for the various steaks next May.  We are also in line for the next pig processing. 

BYC rules won't let me post his contact info here but I'm sure you can get a number for him from his FaceBook page:  Poe Quality Meats  (no link due to possibly violating the contact info rules).

Thanks Sally :) I found his page, I'm guessing they probably don't sell feeder calves but I'll keep them in mind! Curious and you don't have to share if you don't want to but what do you pay for freezer beef?

Don't know if this helps but thought you might like our prices to compare. This is not an ad for beef as our waiting list is full through 2016. But we sell whole and sides, processed to your specs. $4/lb hanging weight plus processing. (Processing averages about $200/side).

Don't know if this helps but thought you might like our prices to compare. This is not an ad for beef as our waiting list is full through 2016. But we sell whole and sides, processed to your specs. $4/lb hanging weight plus processing. (Processing averages about $200/side).

Thanks that is helpful! :) what kind of beef do you raise?

Well... There are too many unanswered questions to this scenario.
First of all... is the area where the poultry reside covered? Iow, is it predator proof from the air?
If so then yes, a laid back farm dog would do the trick.
If not you have a different scenario. Mostly because a tightly bonded lgd will not be happy being on the outside. They want to be with charges to protect them.
So... Another factor to consider is your predation level. If you aren't concerned about predation from the air then a deterrent may very well be all you need.
Everyone's situation is different. We are way out and have a lot of hawks and turkey vultures... And now a bald Eagle. Because I rotate with poultry netting I need something to provide ground and air coverage.
If your poultry are in a covered, confined area all the time but not necessarily totally predator proof (like those very ingenious raccoons and minks can be), then a laid back farm dog would do.

@RedRidge

Uncovered pens, but no aerial danger. We have turkey vultures/buzzards but I've never seen one show an interest in anything alive in the 30 years I've lived out here.

Main concerns are coon, fox, random dogs, possibly cats, and the occasional 'yote that ventures out of the woods but never too far away from the tree line. The new breeding pens are closer to the woods, tho.

@jchny2000 @PeacefulWalls Saw this on FB today and thought of you two talking about all your fabric LOL

lau.gif
Love it! Thanks!!

Thanks that is helpful! :) what kind of beef do you raise?

Dexters

Well Jewel is broody again. Wow I would think these broody hens would get tired of sitting. I am going to try to have her hatch some duck eggs this time since I need more hens.
DH noticed last night one of girls is acting broody again too. Right before I read your post I told my son we should stick some duck eggs under her since we need to add a few new ones every year too. How many duck eggs do you think is a good amount to stick under a chicken?

Last edited:
Well... There are too many unanswered questions to this scenario.
First of all... is the area where the poultry reside covered? Iow, is it predator proof from the air?
If so then yes, a laid back farm dog would do the trick.
If not you have a different scenario. Mostly because a tightly bonded lgd will not be happy being on the outside. They want to be with charges to protect them.
So... Another factor to consider is your predation level. If you aren't concerned about predation from the air then a deterrent may very well be all you need.
Everyone's situation is different. We are way out and have a lot of hawks and turkey vultures... And now a bald Eagle. Because I rotate with poultry netting I need something to provide ground and air coverage.
If your poultry are in a covered, confined area all the time but not necessarily totally predator proof (like those very ingenious raccoons and minks can be), then a laid back farm dog would do.

@RedRidge

Uncovered pens, but no aerial danger. We have turkey vultures/buzzards but I've never seen one show an interest in anything alive in the 30 years I've lived out here.

Main concerns are coon, fox, random dogs, possibly cats, and the occasional 'yote that ventures out of the woods but never too far away from the tree line. The new breeding pens are closer to the woods, tho.

That's a tough call. Sounds like you need more of a deterrent. Always hate to say that though and then take a chance on experiencing losses. But I'd say go with your gut on this one since it sounds like you don't really need an lgd if you only have confined birds and no other livestock.

@RedRidge

Thanks for the helpful input. I honestly expect losses out here, I just want to do everything in my power to prevent them outside of replacing everything here with fortresses. :)

DH noticed last night one of girls is acting broody again too.  Right before I read your post I told my son we should stick some duck eggs under her since we need to add a few new ones every year too.  How many duck eggs do you think is a good amount to stick under a chicken?

I really do not know but I am getting a dozen. If it is to many maybe my bantam can try to hatch one or two. My Pekin lays a very large egg but my mallard's egg is just a bit smaller then my chickens large egg. I am hoping she can cover at least 9 out of the 12 I am purchasing but I have never seen a Runner's egg. I was just going to put my ducks eggs under her but my mini pig is finding them and eating them. I really need to build their stall in the goat house soon :barnie. I plan on trying to get them to lay in there and then they can go free range.

Last edited:
@RedRidge
I am planning on breeding my Great Pyrenees next year and would love any tips on their training. I am not finding a lot of helpful information on when the puppies are training with their parents except that they need to be with the livestock. It was very hard to find an honest breeder with good working dogs and I would love to be able to provide this in my area. I also understand that not all puppies are good candidates. Any tips on what I should be looking for in the puppies that should be considered for working homes. I have goats, chickens, a mini pig, and cats.

Back
Top Bottom