INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

On selling eggs....
If my husband tells folks at his workplace that we have eggs we have too many customers for the eggs we can produce. I could have 100 chickens and sell all the eggs every week.

Might ask him to let folks know you have them...especially any folks that might be "health-conscious" and would want eggs that aren't irradiated (as in store-bought eggs).

Here's an odd question:

I walked in the coop to feed the girls this morning, and my larger RIR hen, Benehime (It's Japanese for 'crimson princess'), squawked like a dinosaur in the movies. The cats followed me in, and Benny made an even more horrifying noise. Seriously, it didn't seem like a noise that a hen should be able to make. Then she flitted a short way off and lay on a pile of eggs in a different nest box and made another weird noise. She started checking over the eggs that weren't under her and turning them around with her beak. She was hatched April 1st of this year. .

I was worried because of that respiratory problem a couple others had (no one else has come down with anything still. The other one that was sick has made what looks to be a full recovery), but it doesn't seem like Benny girl has any gurgling in her chest. She's just making really weird noises

This is my first year around chickens. Please give me some good news.

Here's an odd question:

I walked in the coop to feed the girls this morning, and my larger RIR hen, Benehime (It's Japanese for 'crimson princess'), squawked like a dinosaur in the movies. The cats followed me in, and Benny made an even more horrifying noise. Seriously, it didn't seem like a noise that a hen should be able to make. Then she flitted a short way off and lay on a pile of eggs in a different nest box and made another weird noise. She started checking over the eggs that weren't under her and turning them around with her beak. She was hatched April 1st of this year. .

I was worried because of that respiratory problem a couple others had (no one else has come down with anything still. The other one that was sick has made what looks to be a full recovery), but it doesn't seem like Benny girl has any gurgling in her chest. She's just making really weird noises

This is my first year around chickens. Please give me some good news.

She sounds Broody.

How neat! I thought hatchery RIRs weren't supposed to go broody!

Truth be told, I'm excited. Benny's my favorite girl, and I'm thrilled there's nothing wrong with her. I'd been looking for a hen that would go broody eventually, but I didn't think I was going to get one! Broodiness and dark red plumage are signs of better bloodlines than I thought I'd get from Rural King :D

Truth be told, I'm excited. Benny's my favorite girl, and I'm thrilled there's nothing wrong with her. I'd been looking for a hen that would go broody eventually, but I didn't think I was going to get one! Broodiness and dark red plumage are signs of better bloodlines than I thought I'd get from Rural King :D
I have a broody production red right now. She hatched 3 chicks and is raising one now. Any chicken can go broody, some breeds are just more likely than others.

Haha. I have half a dozen eggs incubating right now. Once I get them going, I hope to be able to share eggs/chicks from them next year. But they still need to hatch before I get too excited! They go into lockdown tomorrow! Really getting nervous now.

Go ahead and put me on the waiting list right now! :)

Have you ever froze eggs?  I tried it for the first time today.  My peewee & small sized pullet eggs were piling up so I cracked them into ice cube trays and froze them.  I did almost 4 dozen today and need to do another dozen or so tomorrow.  Once they were fairly solid I popped them out of the trays and put them in a large ziplock bag.  I figured I may need them during the winter if my girls decide not to lay as well.  I also suggested it to one of my duck egg customers (her family can't have chicken eggs).  I thought I should let her know now so she can start to prepare -- January & February the duck hens didn't lay at all.

Have you frozen eggs before with any success? I was planning on doing the same thing, but was told that the texture of the eggs was funky afterward, even in baked goods. :/

I have a broody production red right now. She hatched 3 chicks and is raising one now. Any chicken can go broody, some breeds are just more likely than others.

I believe Leahs mom has posted occasionally about her broody production red, too. :) Now, I had a broody PR, too, but the chicks she raised were E.V.I.L, so I only let her brood once. But, then, she wasn't the sweetest bird, either. :lol:

wow - more broody hens - must be "broody hen month" - i forgot to check my calender to see if it was broody hen holiday or something
:- )

Haha, I'd probably have more broodies, but they're all molting! (Well, except Margie, who I suspect is heading into her monthly broody spell as I type this. :rolleyes: )

Back
Top Bottom