INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone in southern Indiana close to the Kentucky line have duccle chicks or pullets for sale? I'm only looking for 2 or 3 to put with my young pair for next breed breedings. Really like these like chickens but I'm having a hard time finding any.

:love he was handsome even as a lil chick! Pretty special guy.

That's terribly sad.
You have several gorgeous breeds :love and Ugh, I know the feeling! We are reducing too. Have to make choices on what is working, I plan to part with my australorp flock. They are an all around dual purpose, but were intended for eggs more than dual purpose birds.The hatchery boasts they were a production line and rarely broody. Hold the world record for egg laying!
HA! Rarely NOT broody :barnie The hens are so busy trying to be broody, they aren't laying and peck other hens from nestboxes, these are 18 month old hens. Been going on all spring thru fall.. The new owner will be made aware of it too. I have enough roosters from my BR and RIR that i don't need the BAs. Can't get them anyway if they won't lay :rolleyes:
Also have 2 trio of millie fluer I will be parting with. Love the hens, roosters are lil tyrants lol. They are beautiful little birds, just not fitting into my plans. Staying with my bantam game birds. Sweet roos and hens, good layers. Enjoyable breed all around. I plan to keep my OEGB and MGBs.

Too true on those millies! I got into them a while back because I loved their looks and I read that the roosters made good pets. What a load of chicken manure! All my Roos were little poops. The final straw was when one of them bit my boob - he was on the stovetop that very night!!!

Actually, typing all that up yesterday helped me make some decisions today. I have found a home for all the d'anver chickens and I am selling my pair of Sumatra - if anyone is interested - just asking $25 for the pair:

Lmbo here!!! He bit yours so you bit his back!!! OMG'sh!!!

Been crazy busy with work the last several weeks, but did manage to get some pictures of the brahmas and blrw today. I'm really loving both breeds. I've had the blrw in the past but glad I finally decided to keep them this time.

Last edited:
Okay. Finally the kennel pens in the barn photos.

I've been really unmotivated to do anything lately. Thankfully my husband was ready to work and had some ideas of his own or I'd still be sitting around wondering if this was going to get done. Really glad he took the initiative because I'm hoping to move everyone in tomorrow before the snow starts next week.

Kennel panels in the barn. This side is 16' long using two 6 ft panels and one 4 ft. gate; the opposite side has a 10 and a 6 ft. panel; the 6 ft has a gate opening toward the outside sliding door. This is what things looked like this morning. The whole thing has three 12 x 6 panels over the top. The sides are 12 ft. long. (Overall 12 x 16 perimeter).

In the left 6 ft. area, we made a separation pen that is 6x6...for the rooster boys or just in case someone needs to be separated off otherwise.

Husband wanted to make an area for roosts that was surrounded by plywood so that they might be able to utilize body heat at night to keep an area "warmer" rather than just having it open all the way to the roof.

All of the wood was stuff that he's collected over the years for free. He's a saver...all of these wood pieces were here just waiting to be used.

Here you can really see the rooster/isolation pen to the left.

Decided to try having two roosts parallel to each other. I've seen others use that successfully but we'll see. Just an experiment and the second one toward the front can just be lifted right up and removed if we don't like it.

I've been worried about cold cement floors. He 'just happened" to have some styrofoam insulation in his storeroom...this is the dense stuff about 3" that I can stand right on top of.

He put that in a couple corners under some plywood that will be a warmer place to stand or lay. I'll probably put the feed and water in this corner. The styrofoam will be unreachable for the birds since they LOVE eating styrofoam...

This piece of some kind of vinyl type flooring was at habitat for humanity restore for $8 so he got it when he saw it. Again...a little easier on the feet in the cold.

View looking across from the rooster corner.

Outside looking into where they will enter and exit when I let them go out. The inside gate can open right up against the slider which makes a divider so they can't get into the rest of the barn.

Looking inside from outside.

Looking outside from inside.

What's just outside the door. See way back there in the background...the current hen shed location which allows them access to this little wooded area from that side. This is where they will move from to be inside during the winter.

3 Swedes outside in the cold today...24 week old girls.

Edited to correct age of sfh.

Last edited:
well, I have had a failed hatch.
hit.gif
3 seramas shipped 2 turned wrong and drown. I have piped the last one but it seems very weak. IF it happens to hatch i am ISO of a couple small bantams close to me in madison. If i cant find any do you guys have suggestions for this one ? I think thats gonna be a big if. I would need something tiny and easy going I would guess because these are size A. my first serama hatching too..

well, I have had a failed hatch.:hit  3 seramas shipped 2 turned wrong and drown. I have piped the last one but it seems very weak. IF it happens to hatch i am ISO of a couple small bantams close to me in madison. If i cant find any do you guys have suggestions for this one ? I think thats gonna be a big if. I would need something tiny and easy going I would guess because these are size A. my first serama hatching too.. 
Oh, I am sorry. I know that can be discouraging. I could help you out with some old english chicks, but I am up in Anderson. If that's not too far and you're interested, let me know and I would be happy to part with some.

Okay. Finally the kennel pens in the barn photos. I've been really unmotivated to do anything lately. Thankfully my husband was ready to work and had some ideas of his own or I'd still be sitting around wondering if this was going to get done. Really glad he took the initiative because I'm hoping to move everyone in tomorrow before the snow starts next week. Kennel panels in the barn. This side is 16' long using two 6 ft panels and one 4 ft. gate; the opposite side has a 10 and a 6 ft. panel; the 6 ft has a gate opening toward the outside sliding door. This is what things looked like this morning. The whole thing has three 12 x 6 panels over the top. The sides are 12 ft. long. (Overall 12 x 16 perimeter). In the left 6 ft. area, we made a separation pen that is 6x6...for the rooster boys or just in case someone needs to be separated off otherwise. Husband wanted to make an area for roosts that was surrounded by plywood so that they might be able to utilize body heat at night to keep an area "warmer" rather than just having it open all the way to the roof. All of the wood was stuff that he's collected over the years for free. He's a saver...all of these wood pieces were here just waiting to be used. Here you can really see the rooster/isolation pen to the left. Decided to try having two roosts parallel to each other. I've seen others use that successfully but we'll see. Just an experiment and the second one toward the front can just be lifted right up and removed if we don't like it. I've been worried about cold cement floors. He 'just happened" to have some styrofoam insulation in his storeroom...this is the dense stuff about 3" that I can stand right on top of. He put that in a couple corners under some plywood that will be a warmer place to stand or lay. I'll probably put the feed and water in this corner. The styrofoam will be unreachable for the birds since they LOVE eating styrofoam... This piece of some kind of vinyl type flooring was at habitat for humanity restore for $8 so he got it when he saw it. Again...a little easier on the feet in the cold. View looking across from the rooster corner. Outside looking into where they will enter and exit when I let them go out. The inside gate can open right up against the slider which makes a divider so they can't get into the rest of the barn. Looking inside from outside. Looking outside from inside. What's just outside the door. See way back there in the background...the current hen shed location which allows them access to this little wooded area from that side. This is where they will move from to be inside during the winter. 3 Swedes outside in the cold today...24 week old girls. Edited to correct age of sfh.
Looks great! Very envious of that pole barn! I was hoping to build one (more like have one built) this spring but since I ended up needing to buy a new car, there went my barn funds lol. The SFH are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom