INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

hugs.gif
to you, I am so sorry that Anna has passed.
Thank you! I just hope that my others don't pass away I guess my dad will have to put up with getting another silkie! my dad want chickens that lay BIG eggs and silkies don't lay BIG eggs but he did promise that we could get my silkies so I kept that in mind! one reason I want silkies are I want them to be therapy chickens so I can take them to nursing homes and all that because I herd they are great therapy chickens!

I'm afraid it's here, folks. We have one of the two strains of high pathogenicity AI in Whitley County. It's not the H5N2 which has been growing daily in and around Minnesota and surrounding states. It's H5N8, which previously was only found on the West Coast.

The way these strains are spreading is turning out to be puzzling. The current theory is that yes, it is predominantly spread through infected wild goose and duck poop, but that once on the ground, the particles are traveling airborne attached to dust particles and being windblown from farm to farm. Plus, of course, contaminated equipment and people could do it, too, but I think that's been so well handled that it's unlikely to be the cause of the spread.

I don't know who is in Whitley County on the list, but if you have not prepared before, you had better get to it quick! You can't stop the wind, though in commercial facilities they are talking about using their ventilation systems to perhaps help slow the spread. We all had better hope to get hot weather back soon, because AI thrives in cool, wet conditions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON, May 11, 2015 -- The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic H5N8 avian influenza (HPAI) in a backyard mixed-poultry flock in Whitley County, Indiana. While there have been multiple detections of HPAI H5N2 in the Mississippi flyway, this is the first finding of HPAI H5N8 in the Mississippi flyway, which previously had only been confirmed in the Pacific flyway. CDC considers the risk to people from these HPAI H5 infections in wild birds, backyard flocks and commercial poultry, to be low. No human infections with the virus have been detected at this time.
Samples from the flock, which experienced increased mortality, were tested at the Indiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory and the APHIS National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames, Iowa confirmed the findings. APHIS is working closely with the Indiana State Board of Animal Health to respond to the finding. State officials quarantined the affected premises and birds on the property will be depopulated to prevent the spread of the disease.

As a reminder, the proper handling and cooking of poultry and eggs to an internal temperature of 165 ˚F kills bacteria and viruses.
As part of existing avian influenza response plans, Federal and State partners are working jointly on additional surveillance and testing in the nearby area. The United States has the strongest AI surveillance program in the world, and USDA is working with its partners to actively look for the disease in commercial poultry operations, live bird markets and in migratory wild bird populations.
USDA will include this information in routine updates to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), and will notify international trading partners of this finding as appropriate. OIE trade guidelines call on countries to base trade restrictions on sound science and, whenever possible, limit restrictions to those animals and animal products within a defined region that pose a risk of spreading disease of concern.

These virus strains can travel in wild birds without them appearing sick. People should avoid contact with sick/dead poultry or wildlife. If contact occurs, wash your hands with soap and water and change clothing before having any contact with healthy domestic poultry and birds.

All bird owners, whether commercial producers or backyard enthusiasts, should continue to practice good biosecurity, prevent contact between their birds and wild birds, and report sick birds or unusual bird deaths to State/Federal officials, either through their state veterinarian or through USDA’s toll-free number at 1-866-536-7593. Additional information on biosecurity for backyard flocks can be found at http://healthybirds.aphis.usda.gov.

Oh my, that is WAY too close to home!!! And transferring airborne, nonetheless!!! I hope our warm temps this past week have killed the virus down. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Last edited:
I'm curious, Anyone know what the hatcheries and the owners of their breeder stocks are doing for bio security?

In other distressing news, I have a person wanting to return a pullet because it is shedding its final set of baby feathers before laying. Anyone have some quick links about birds shedding their feathers as they grow up, not the yearly molt but just as their new larger adult feathers come in.

If my memory is correct @kabhyper1, and @Acornewell are up that way anyone else? ARGH!
I'm afraid it's here, folks. We have one of the two strains of high pathogenicity AI in Whitley County. It's not the H5N2 which has been growing daily in and around Minnesota and surrounding states. It's H5N8, which previously was only found on the West Coast. The way these strains are spreading is turning out to be puzzling. The current theory is that yes, it is predominantly spread through infected wild goose and duck poop, but that once on the ground, the particles are traveling airborne attached to dust particles and being windblown from farm to farm. Plus, of course, contaminated equipment and people could do it, too, but I think that's been so well handled that it's unlikely to be the cause of the spread. I don't know who is in Whitley County on the list, but if you have not prepared before, you had better get to it quick! You can't stop the wind, though in commercial facilities they are talking about using their ventilation systems to perhaps help slow the spread. We all had better hope to get hot weather back soon, because AI thrives in cool, wet conditions. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASHINGTON, May 11, 2015 -- The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic H5N8 avian influenza (HPAI) in a backyard mixed-poultry flock in Whitley County, Indiana. While there have been multiple detections of HPAI H5N2 in the Mississippi flyway, this is the first finding of HPAI H5N8 in the Mississippi flyway, which previously had only been confirmed in the Pacific flyway. CDC considers the risk to people from these HPAI H5 infections in wild birds, backyard flocks and commercial poultry, to be low. No human infections with the virus have been detected at this time.
Samples from the flock, which experienced increased mortality, were tested at the Indiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory and the APHIS National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames, Iowa confirmed the findings. APHIS is working closely with the Indiana State Board of Animal Health to respond to the finding. State officials quarantined the affected premises and birds on the property will be depopulated to prevent the spread of the disease. As a reminder, the proper handling and cooking of poultry and eggs to an internal temperature of 165 ˚F kills bacteria and viruses. As part of existing avian influenza response plans, Federal and State partners are working jointly on additional surveillance and testing in the nearby area. The United States has the strongest AI surveillance program in the world, and USDA is working with its partners to actively look for the disease in commercial poultry operations, live bird markets and in migratory wild bird populations. USDA will include this information in routine updates to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), and will notify international trading partners of this finding as appropriate. OIE trade guidelines call on countries to base trade restrictions on sound science and, whenever possible, limit restrictions to those animals and animal products within a defined region that pose a risk of spreading disease of concern. These virus strains can travel in wild birds without them appearing sick. People should avoid contact with sick/dead poultry or wildlife. If contact occurs, wash your hands with soap and water and change clothing before having any contact with healthy domestic poultry and birds. All bird owners, whether commercial producers or backyard enthusiasts, should continue to practice good biosecurity, prevent contact between their birds and wild birds, and report sick birds or unusual bird deaths to State/Federal officials, either through their state veterinarian or through USDA’s toll-free number at 1-866-536-7593. Additional information on biosecurity for backyard flocks can be found at [COLOR=0000FF]http://healthybirds.aphis.usda.gov[/COLOR].

If my memory is correct @kabhyper1 , and @Acornewell are up that way anyone else? ARGH!
It's not near us. We are north of where it was found. I spoke to our extension agent and was informed it was found in the southern part of the county. Our birds are currently quarantined in our barn due to the news today. I have oxine, and we have strict bio security measures in place. My flock is perfectly healthy, and I plan on keeping them that way. I don't want anyone to think it is my flock so I'm speaking up as a reassurance to my friends on here. I don't know who it is, I'm sure we will hear more later on. Barb and rasinemright and pipd are the only other ones I can think of in this county so I hope all of their birds are okay.

M2H Thanks, when I get far behind on this thread, I seem to just ignore it and go to some less active favorites, I'm trying to get back on this one more often, and therefore not behind. went to Dinky's and came home kicking myself because I wasn't in the small animal room when the few things I wanted to bid on was sold. hopefully next time.....
BTW anyone with an Orschleners near by and want still air incubators they are on sell for half off because they are eliminating them from their stock. I had to get one. now just biding time to see if the accessories I want will be marked down....

Here's part of the statement issued by the Indiana BOAH office just a little while ago:

BOAH veterinarians collected samples from the flock, after the owner reported several chickens became ill and died. The hobby flock contained 77 birds of various species, including ducks, geese, chickens and turkeys. In a rapid response effort, all of the birds were removed from the site, to ensure no ongoing risk of disease spread. BOAH is reaching out to poultry owners in the Whitley County area to raise awareness and determine if the disease has spread.

Back
Top Bottom