INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quick question! This is the little bit of fluff that hatched yesterday, now that it's all dry it's still a very pretty light silvery color! Can anyone tell me what color this might end up? I looked up silver chicks and saw some silver partridge silkie chicks that look about the same color? It's a mix so I realize it probably won't be an exact "color" but I'm curious all the same! I've never had one like it and I'm loving how pretty it is! :love

What a pretty doeling! LOL its Oberhasli, It took me awhile to remember the spelling too! They are closely related to swiss alpine, but smaller stature. Anyways, if she is readily feeding on hay and refuses milk, she is probably fine. My 4 week old is eating hay and feed already, and mama Sophie is pushing her off a lot. I will normally wean around 8 weeks if Mama hasn't weaned them already. One of the things I have learned is selenium deficiency can be a problem, so a good vitamin additive will help her improve, and good quality feed/hay. I would have a fecal done also, or worm her to be sure she isn't bringing anything into your herd. Her tummy looks a bit round, so I would be sure there is no worm issues. Be sure to examine her legs and hooves too.
Aside from that, you can milk Boers if thats part of why you keep goats. The milk isn't quite what you would get from a milk breed but definitely still healthy.

Thanks so much for stopping in, and I adore my new fella!
She is pretty, I myslef don't like the taste of boar milk, Lamancha is my favorite, then Alpine, not too fond of Nubian and I have not tasted any of the other dairy breeds yet but I do plan to some day.. I have to be very careful how much I drink of the LaMancha milk... I gained LOTS of weight when I first found out I liked it, but I was also cooking with it... lol AND I found out that after drinking the milk I no longer had any problems with poison ivy and I could not even be within 10 feet of the stuff before... and it also fixed alot of stomach problems I was having too, my doctor was amazed!!!
I was thinking wormy too so I wormed her yesterday. Having trouble finding her a buddy, everyone wants to beat her up, even the little billy that is around the same age as she??? I will figure it out. She is eating alfalfa and timothy hay cause thats what all my goats get if they are not with a kid or pregnant, and she is eating dairy goat feed. I was told she HAD to have boar goat feed but her and 1 mini boar is the only non-dairy goats I have and I just see no way I could separate them at feed time. Besides my mini-boar has been on it for 3 years and she is awesome. What vitamin do you use?

Wow, I'm still new around here, but as oldrooster mentioned, "I think we are supposed to be behind and skip posts in this thread. I'll never be able to keep up......." How true!

Anyway...........
BrownCow - great trapping success.

Acornewell - very interesting. Thanks for sharing that info on hydrogen peroxide as I've not heard of that.

The pics are great. I enjoy seeing all the chicks. We've not had a good season for chicks and I miss watching them. We are hopeful that our hatching luck is about to change. We are watching for Barred Rock chicks, Bourbon Red poults and Muscovy ducklings. The hens are doing the work. Our job is to keep them safe.

We are busy! I know it's the same for most of us. We just got way behind this Spring and are now trying to catch up. Half the garden finally got planted Friday. The rain has finally stopped for a few days so it's time for the hay. Getting the hay baled will be the big push this week.
Being pulled from home to attend to more urgent things sure takes a toll, especially when one has a small farm. I like being home and I'm glad things are settling down so I can stay here and get to work. Maybe I'll even be able to share a picture here in the future.lol

Just curious - does anyone feed their chickens milk and/or cooked eggs?
I feed scrambled and boiled eggs to my whole flock 2x a week and the chicks get it 3x a week. I have fed table scraps of food that was made with milk but not straight milk. I have fed goat milk to sick hens before.

Quick question! This is the little bit of fluff that hatched yesterday, now that it's all dry it's still a very pretty light silvery color! Can anyone tell me what color this might end up? I looked up silver chicks and saw some silver partridge silkie chicks that look about the same color? It's a mix so I realize it probably won't be an exact "color" but I'm curious all the same! I've never had one like it and I'm loving how pretty it is!
love.gif
I have no ideal but am hoping you post pic's as she feathers out so we can see.
pop.gif

I have a chick trying to hatch, my humidity is staying at 62% is that ok? I'm sitting on my hands to keep from messing with it..... lol first timer you know how it is
wee.gif

Opinions, please--

Is 3-4 weeks post hatch long enough for a hen to get out of her broody phase? How long does a hen need to rear chicks to end her broody streak? Does this question make sense?
hu.gif

The goal of having her hatch chicks was to end her broody phase. I don't want to remove the chicks from her at 3 weeks, only to have her go right back to sitting instead of laying.

Opinions, please--

Is 3-4 weeks post hatch long enough for a hen to get out of her broody phase? How long does a hen need to rear chicks to end her broody streak? Does this question make sense?
hu.gif

The goal of having her hatch chicks was to end her broody phase. I don't want to remove the chicks from her at 3 weeks, only to have her go right back to sitting instead of laying.
If you are lucky she might molt while she is broody once the chicks are able to be warm at night.
I took chicks away from my broody sumatra hens last season and it was still over a month before they started laying again.

Last year we were letting one side of our yard grow tall tall grass as I knew I was getting goats.  Our neighbors came over and offered to mow it for us.  I almost feel bad for them.  Then we put up the goat fencing around all of the tall grass.  At that point I think they got the hint that we had no more plans to mow the grass as short as they would prefer.

We have ten acres and almost all of it is about three ft high grass. Im sure the neighbors aren't pleased but that's what they get for living in the country lol

I'm still on my hunt for a few turkeys. I think you all may be my only hope.

The reason I bought chicks from rural king is our TSC and Big R stop selling chicks after mid April. It was way too cold for me to want chicks that early even with a heat lamp.

I'm still on my hunt for a few turkeys. I think you all may be my only hope.

The reason I bought chicks from rural king is our TSC and Big R stop selling chicks after mid April. It was way too cold for me to want chicks that early even with a heat lamp.

I have 4 turkey poults that are 4 weeks old, hatch date of 5/5/15. If you are interested send me a message. I have no idea on gender but they were hatched from heritage Blue Palm eggs.

She is pretty, I myslef don't like the taste of boar milk, Lamancha is my favorite, then Alpine, not too fond of Nubian and I have not tasted any of the other dairy breeds yet but I do plan to some day.. I have to be very careful how much I drink of the LaMancha milk... I gained LOTS of weight when I first found out I liked it, but I was also cooking with it... lol AND I found out that after drinking the milk I no longer had any problems with poison ivy and I could not even be within 10 feet of the stuff before... and it also fixed alot of stomach problems I was having too,  my doctor was amazed!!! 
 I was thinking wormy too so I wormed her yesterday. Having trouble finding her a buddy, everyone wants to beat her up, even the little billy that is around the same age as she??? I will figure it out.  She is eating alfalfa and timothy hay cause thats what all my goats get if they are not with a kid or pregnant, and she is eating dairy goat feed. I was told she HAD to have boar goat feed but her and 1 mini boar is the only non-dairy goats I have and I just see no way I could separate them at feed time. Besides my mini-boar has been on it for 3 years and she is awesome.  What vitamin do you use?  

I

I have no ideal but am hoping you post pic's as she feathers out so we can see. :pop

I have a chick trying to hatch, my humidity is staying at 62% is that ok? I'm sitting on my hands to keep from messing with it..... lol first timer you know how it is   :weee

I'll definitely post some pics as they grow! I couldn't be any prouder than if I'd sat on them myself, lol!
Ive never had an incubator, only the broody hens, so I can't help you there.
But yes, I'm sure there's a lot of us that know exactly what you mean about having to "sit on your hands"! :p

Opinions, please-- Is 3-4 weeks post hatch long enough for a hen to get out of her broody phase? How long does a hen need to rear chicks to end her broody streak? Does this question make sense? :confused: The goal of having her hatch chicks was to end her broody phase. I don't want to remove the chicks from her at 3 weeks, only to have her go right back to sitting instead of laying.
My broody wasn't a particularly dedicated mommy but I took her last chick away last week at 5 weeks old and she's laying this week.

Back
Top Bottom