INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Latest pic 5 hatched 1 to go

1 left to go and it's pipped

7 shades of....DIRT! Here are the last eggs of the year and they are dirty! Such a waste of money! Guess ill wait until next year for turkeys lol.

Last edited:
7 shades of....DIRT! Here are the last eggs of the year and they are dirty! Such a waste of money! Guess ill wait until next year for turkeys lol.

I'll work on getting picture posted. Phone not wanting to up load

I'll speak with my turkeys, maybe I can get them to start laying again. Something got all 9 of the eggs my turkey hen was sitting on. I had to move her as she wanted to sit on her empty nest.

If you want to hatch shipped eggs with your broodies, let the eggs sit after arrival an extra day to reattach air cells. Since the hens turn them, once they are under them, the eggs won't have a chance to sit still long enough to stabilize. Just my 2 cents from using broodies on my shipped eggs last fall. I had a pretty decent hatch, but I had two cells that were detached that I should have let sit longer. Broodies will give you a better hatch rate on shipped eggs though, so you can get more out of your purchase.
Do you really get a better hatch rate with a broody? (That's DD's experiment this year, so I'm very curious on the topic.) In the 1st trial they were about the same %. So far on her 2nd trial, both the incubator (one clear) & broody (one crushed) are each down one egg. (Broody has less eggs, so her % will be lower this time.) We threw a dozen shipped eggs into the incubator, but decided not to count any of those. All 12 arrived with rolling air cells. I let them sit for 2.5 days, then didn't turn them for the 1st 2-3 days of incubation. Surprisingly 2 are developing (today= 10) but the air cells did not firm up / reattach. I figured the incubator was their best chance b/c of the severe air cell damage. If you think broody, please share why.

Do you really get a better hatch rate with a broody? (That's DD's experiment this year, so I'm very curious on the topic.)  In the 1st trial they were about the same %.  So far on her 2nd trial, both the incubator (one clear) & broody (one crushed) are each down one egg.  (Broody has less eggs, so her % will be lower this time.) We threw a dozen shipped eggs into the incubator, but decided not to count any of those.  All 12 arrived with rolling air cells.  I let them sit for 2.5 days, then didn't turn them for the 1st 2-3 days of incubation.  Surprisingly 2 are developing (today= 10) but the air cells did not firm up / reattach.  I figured the incubator was their best chance b/c of the severe air cell damage.  If you think broody, please share why. 

I think it depends on what kind of incubator you are using. My broodys defiantly have a better hatch rate (about 75%) compared to my bator (50%) they'd do even better if I could leave them alone ;) I've dropped a few viable eggs in the past.

The only broody that I let hatch had a terrible hatch rate. Her giant fat butt (enormous blue laced red wyandotte) squashed three of the six eggs and one of the remaining three looked like it got stuck while hatching....It was fully formed but didn't make it out. So she had a 30% hatch rate. My homemade incubator was hatching around 80% until it wigged out on me.

Shipped eggs. Ok to use broody or should I turn the incubator back on? Afraid with possible aircell damage the hens will be too rough with them. However I'd rather not fire the incubator back up.

Also, I have plenty of blrw chicks and barnyard mix (brahma roo over mottled orp and legbar. Possibly pure brahma didn't look too hard at them) chicks available!

I forget. What color brahmas do you have?

I'll work on getting picture posted. Phone not wanting to up load

Brad, I have 15 more eggs due to hatch in the next 2 weeks. All are viable at this point and under broodies. If you're looking for poults I'll have some soon.

Back
Top Bottom