INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

the eye its self looks clear. Thou, i saw a bug on the other side of her head. I sprayed her down with the poultry protector thou not to sure how thats going to work. Am i looking for a worm in the eye? There was a bump above the eye not a pock. Just a swollen area. Some times it has white stuff by her tear duct other it's clear. If i can i'll take a pic tomorrow. Right now we are in the tornado watch area. How do you treat it?

Life the eyelid; if there is a worm, it will look like white goop in the eye. There is a thread on BYC with info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/508526/eye-worm

I removed the worm with a q-tip (took several treatments, as the worm broke and can regenerate from missed portions), Vetericyn, and Tylan 50. Not sure if the Tylan treated the parasite, but used it to prevent possible infection.

Ok, chicken with the goop in her eye is driving me a little nuts. I separated her from the other chickens and some how she found a way over a 71/2 foot wall. Humm, i guess i have to brake out the dog kennel. Arrr really she has to be a stinker. Not, like i'm stessed enough. Dad started chemo and he's pretty sick. I'm also watching my brothers kid with adhd plus one of my step kids that lives with us has adhd. So, thats a see who can be the meanest. Really i'd say Calgon take me away but, i know the harsh truth at some time i'd have to get out of the tub. Lol for my goop eye chicken i'm going to get some oxytetracycline and give that a try. Plus, do a major cleaning of the coop. Hehe hubby can watch the kiddies while i clean. Never thought cleaning sounded like so much fun.
1f606.png
sending a hug
hugs.gif
sounds like a normal day here. I care for both my parents full time, and I know how that wears on you. If you have eye ointment thats a big plus too.

Finally got the picture of the eggs uploaded but figured I'd post it again here. Like I said before I really don't know if the two on far left are turkey or duck eggs! Looks like they were out in the rain for a few daysbefore collecting.
Turkey are unmistakeable.. duck eggs look and feel waxy. Turkey eggs will be pointed and usually speckled. Lay them out and take a pic, I can tell you 100% what you have.

Had a pretty awful day here. My bourbon tom, really big guy crushed one of his hens, broke her back today. So he is out of the breeding group, period. Terribly upset over it, she was a very sweet hen, and this was her first breeding season. So I probably wont have bourbons available this year. Working with someone local, and may have found another tom, pair actually. Will meet with the owner this week and hope the quality and type is there to work with.
I also collected all of the eggs under the broody turkey hen, and one blew up when I picked it up, UGH
sickbyc.gif
The hen that was killed was not leaving the nest to poop.. the eggs are all bad. Candled several tonight, all of them are a complete loss. Makes me ask myself if I want to continue keeping them at all! Took my broody hen in, bathed her and crated her away from the tom. My other remaining bourbon hen, Syd isn't old enough thankfully to be in with the tom yet. He is 4+ years old and well over 30 pounds.. not social to humans, and now looking like he will be put in the freezer.
On the good and happy part of the day, I have a brown chinese goose hen mothering all my baby scovies. Just too adorable to see all of them running behind her. She realized they were in the outdoor pen, and has not left them since. will post pics tomorrow, going to bed! Nite everyone
th.gif

Finally got the picture of the eggs uploaded but figured I'd post it again here. Like I said before I really don't know if the two on far left are turkey or duck eggs! Looks like they were out in the rain for a few daysbefore collecting.
In my experience, duck eggs have a different feel to them from other eggs.

Hope everyone is well after the storms that hit across IN last night. We were fortunate that it skirted south of us. We did have just a bit of rain, but the thunder and lightening, along with blustery winds made for an unsettled night. As usual, the threat of bad weather gets us scampering filling extra water buckets and tubs for the animals. It's just a muddy, mucky mess out there. The coops and pens will be needing fresh straw/bedding today. Only the ducks are loving all this rain.

Seems there is always something giving us fits around here. Recently, it's been the chickens and mostly the turkeys. Oh, those turkeys have a mind of their own.

Had a pretty awful day here. My bourbon tom, really big guy crushed one of his hens, broke her back today. So he is out of the breeding group, period. Terribly upset over it, she was a very sweet hen, and this was her first breeding season. So I probably wont have bourbons available this year. Working with someone local, and may have found another tom, pair actually. Will meet with the owner this week and hope the quality and type is there to work with.
I also collected all of the eggs under the broody turkey hen, and one blew up when I picked it up, UGH
sickbyc.gif
The hen that was killed was not leaving the nest to poop.. the eggs are all bad. Candled several tonight, all of them are a complete loss. Makes me ask myself if I want to continue keeping them at all! Took my broody hen in, bathed her and crated her away from the tom. My other remaining bourbon hen, Syd isn't old enough thankfully to be in with the tom yet. He is 4+ years old and well over 30 pounds.. not social to humans, and now looking like he will be put in the freezer.
On the good and happy part of the day, I have a brown chinese goose hen mothering all my baby scovies. Just too adorable to see all of them running behind her. She realized they were in the outdoor pen, and has not left them since. will post pics tomorrow, going to bed! Nite everyone
th.gif

How terrible! I'm so sorry!

Wow I am so sorry to hear that. I have a 30 lb in the freezer for the same reason. Well no broken back, but ripped her open but good.

I'm hoping to not have any more broody hens, my other 2 turkey hens are laying smaller eggs. Not much bigger than large chicken eggs. I'd be afraid there would be hatching problems. I don't really know, does the size of a turkey egg impede growth?

The last egg finally hatched, so we are 6 for 6 on this hatch. Will post pics latter today.

to all indiana locals i pretty much just realized that i more then likely will have to return to florida to finish college and dont really have anyone here to take care of my chickens til/if i return i have pure rir and buff orps as well as a large number of mixes due to this spring hatching not sure yet when im leaving more then likely not till like november-january so we have time to plan this out but anyone interested in helping out please pm me or reply with quote

Had a pretty awful day here. My bourbon tom, really big guy crushed one of his hens, broke her back today. So he is out of the breeding group, period.  Terribly upset over it, she was a very sweet hen, and this was her first breeding season. So I probably wont have bourbons available this year. Working with someone local, and may have found another tom, pair actually. Will meet with the owner this week and hope the quality and type is there to work with.
I also collected all of the eggs under the broody turkey hen, and one blew up when I picked it up, UGH :sick The hen that was killed was not leaving the nest to poop.. the eggs are all bad. Candled several tonight, all of them are a complete loss. Makes me ask myself if I want to continue keeping them at all! Took my broody hen in, bathed her and crated her away from the tom. My other remaining bourbon hen, Syd isn't old enough thankfully to be in with the tom yet. He is 4+ years old and well over 30 pounds.. not social to humans, and now looking like he will be put in the freezer.
On the good and happy part of the day, I have a brown chinese goose hen mothering all my baby scovies. Just too adorable to see all of them running behind her. She realized they were in the outdoor pen, and has not left them since. will post pics tomorrow, going to bed! Nite everyone :th
sorry to hear about you hen.
1f626.png

Back
Top Bottom