INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Long term feeding the extra calcium to roosters can be hard on their kidneys. I also feed "Country Farms All Flock" to all my birds with oyster shell available for the hens as they want it. It is a few bucks more per bag, but worth it to not have to try and feed everyone different stuff. Obviously, it would be impossible to feed them separate food unless hens and roos were penned seperatly and I don't have time or space for that.

So I am looking for a cheap or free rooster in northern Indiana if anyone is looking to get rid of one. I'm in Bristol (east of Elkhart and South Bend). I am down to 6 hens (lost 5 half grown hens and 2 half grown ducks to unknown predator and also a juvenile Bald eagle) and am hoping a rooster will help the oblivious hens notice when Hawks and eagles are in the sky.

For good measure here I am with one of the hens named Crackers. She's semi tame if it involves treats.

Quote:
Good morning everyone!! I was given brown eggs to hatch and were told they were Marans. They only have Marans and Ameraucana on their farm so it could be Marans or a mix. One hatched yesterday and another is coming out of its shell as we speak. They both have fat feet with shorter toes and both have 5 toes on each foot. I tried to research and did not find where either breed had 5 toes. So without any other knowledge of how long they have been hatching/breeding from the same group of chickens, would this be something that is from inbreeding? They are going to be used for eggs and eventually meat so an extra toe is fine for now. However, down the road I would like to hatch my own chicks, bring in a couple others from somewhere else so I'm not having the same chickens breed. Am I correct in thinking that these chickens will carry the gene to have five toes which is not normal. Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Here are some pics.
The only common 5 toed breeds are Favorelle or Silkie that I am aware of. its looks like a possible crest in the 2nd pic?
Houdans have extra toes too.

So I am looking for a cheap or free rooster in northern Indiana if anyone is looking to get rid of one. I'm in Bristol (east of Elkhart and South Bend). I am down to 6 hens (lost 5 half grown hens and 2 half grown ducks to unknown predator and also a juvenile Bald eagle) and am hoping a rooster will help the oblivious hens notice when Hawks and eagles are in the sky.

For good measure here I am with one of the hens named Crackers. She's semi tame if it involves treats.

Great picture! It will help but your best bet is lots of hiding places if you free range. I put a big table out they scoot under, have lots of bushes and large trees to hide under. Some folks used pallets and just mounted them about 2 feet of the ground with some scrap lumber as legs. If the rooster alerts them, it gives them somewhere to run. Ducks are not as predator savvy unfortunately, depending on breed. There are lots of helpful predator deterrent ideas as far as birds of prey.

Oldest DD was married Friday! Been a crazy, busy weekend. We were able to pull of a big surprise party for the happy couple at our favorite seafood buffet in Indy. Proud that she has waited to be sure it was the right thing for her. Youngest DD's wedding is next June, she graduates college in May 2016. That's going to be a busy spring
barnie.gif
Neighbors geese has begun introducing their gosling to my flock.. lots of loud discussing and the ganders wing biting each other. Must be the guys "pat on the back" lol! I think my flock is jealous, still think the spring cold interfered with my hatches. I had 63 gosling last year at this time! Neighbors pair also only hatched one successfully also. I plan to add the large egg positioning trays for laying the eggs on their side in my sportsman. Geese just seem to hatch better with the eggs laying down. Turkeys are laying again, but not well. Setting every egg I get. Most of the Scovy hens appear to be done, except of course my Huey, she is on round 3 for a nest with 9 eggs already. My Lavender Orps are still in a hard molt, poor girls. they look pitiful, am giving them chick feed to help them. EEs are still laying like crazy, good girls!

Guys I have an Oberhasli goat doeling born May 25th that's ready to go to a new home. DD wanted to take her but with moving, marrying and new job isn't going to have time to raise her properly. Please PM if interested. Her mom Sugar is a very good milker, good mother and just exceptional personality. Both parents are onsite. Bocephus the father is a bit of a handful but for a buck, but quite friendly and social also. I do vaccinate for CDT annually.
They are very nice goats, I have one of her does from this year and we love her.

So far behind on everything in life right now, including this forum. Since I have not been able to get on here in a long time I don't know if anyone already posted this info, but it is really important for everyone to know. This info came out July 9. Here is a link to the whole document, http://www.in.gov/boah/files/Modified_Ban_July_10-15_AnH_Advy.pdf but this is the critical info for anyone who sells any kind of poultry in case you did not see it:

New Traceability Rules for Poultry Beginning
Sept. 17, 2015,poultry species will be subject to Indiana’s traceability requirements, like other livestock species. This requirement is a permanent requirement to Indiana law.
Anyone who buys, sells, leases, barters or exchanges poultry within Indiana must maintain a record of the transaction for 3 years. (This requirement is similar to other livestock species.) The following information must be recorded:
 Number and breed of poultry;
 Any individual animal identification present on the poultry;
 Name and address of the seller, lessor or owner; and
 Name and address of the purchaser, lessee or recipient.
Individuals do not have to maintain records of sales directly to an approved slaughter facility or through an approved livestock facility, because these facilities are required to collect that information. More information about HPAI and Indiana’s bird movement requirements (including importation standards) is online at: www.boah.in.gov.
Am I understanding this right? If I sell a chick ect... I have to do this?

I don't know if anyone's thought about it but I was just thinking my feed is formulated for laying birds... So that probably means there's a higher amount of calsium for egg production.... Now I'm not entirely sure but I'm pretty sure Henry my rir roo has no desire to lay an egg any time soon so does the feed account for Roos? Or should I be feeding him seperatly. The bag says not to feed to chicks but no mention of Roos
I feed all flock to any birds I have a roo with.

I have 1 too many BCM roo's but they are juveniles if you want the extra you are more then welcome to him, but he wont be warning anyone of anything for a while.

I have been working my guts out trying to get ready for winter as I have so many pens this year ( sometimes chicken math really sucks!!!! ) so I am too tired most nights to get on an do any reading, but it is raining today.... Didn't think I was ever going to get caught up, but I did...
celebrate.gif

Have some pic's to share, I have a few pm's asking about Ridgett ( my 3rd time rescue horse ) so I have new pic's of her too. She is doing great gaining like mad and getting her spunk back.

these were taken the 5th of this mth. I belive.

these are pics of when she first got here for those that may have missed it.

the rest of the pic's don't want to load. Guess it's telling me enough is enough... lol

I have a hen that has been trying for 3 mth to hatch eggs, so DH went to RK and came back with 2 BO's, any ideals of how to get them under her without her killing them? I tried this once before with a different hen and it didn't work.

Chubs and Waddles are still here and going strong ( the Cornish )

Hope every one has a great night. If anyone has any ideals for my broody hen I sure would be grateful.

SURVEY.... Need advice!

What do you all think is a reasonable pay for someone taking care of your chickens while you're gone?

Specifically, this is an adult. He will have to drive over 2x a day. Morning: Put out feed and be sure water is fresh. Evening: Be sure everyone is in and doors closed. Gather eggs. Put feed out if needed.

Would you pay by the day?
Would you pay by the "job" (as in a flat price for a week or weekend?)
HOW MUCH????

caf.gif

SURVEY.... Need advice!

What do you all think is a reasonable pay for someone taking care of your chickens while you're gone?

Specifically, this is an adult. He will have to drive over 2x a day. Morning: Put out feed and be sure water is fresh. Evening: Be sure everyone is in and doors closed. Gather eggs. Put feed out if needed.

Would you pay by the day?
Would you pay by the "job" (as in a flat price for a week or weekend?)
HOW MUCH????

caf.gif

I have someone that sits at my house with all my critters and I pay them 50 for 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom