INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Lots of eggs today. My test hatches so far on the Ameruacana and Chocolate orps are FERTILE so am really excited about it! Turkeys are laying, so waiting to see if scovy and guinea are starting next. I plan to add a nice light Sussex and my Beilefelder hens to the Naked Neck pen. I want to add more color , size and variety to the flock.
I've made the hard choice today to sell my Midget White Turkeys. The friend that bought them is not far, so if anyone wants poults/eggs I will have access. I do like the breed, but am being realistic for pens and just like the Bourbon Red and White Holland breed better. And the offer was one I couldn't refuse LOL!

Lots of eggs today. My test hatches so far on the Ameruacana and Chocolate orps are FERTILE so am really excited about it! Turkeys are laying, so waiting to see if scovy and guinea are starting next. I plan to add a nice light Sussex and my Beilefelder hens to the Naked Neck pen. I want to add more color , size and variety to the flock.
I've made the hard choice today to sell my Midget White Turkeys. The friend that bought them is not far, so if anyone wants poults/eggs I will have access. I do like the breed, but am being realistic for pens and just like the Bourbon Red and White Holland breed better. And the offer was one I couldn't refuse LOL!
hit.gif
I'll miss the goofy little guys. The one hear is too wily and has grown to like people less and less. Poor skittish thing.

@flyladyrocks So grandfathering in... do I need surplus numbers of everything to be grandfathered in for them too? I only have three quail and one turkey (and a metric crapton of chickens). Does their presence count for anything? With the way you're talking about those pheasants, I might have to talk DH into those (stick it to the man, you know). I've thought about borrowing a goat for the last day of March, too
wink.png

So I was looking for a new incubator and I really think I want a gqf sportsman 1502 or something like that and I found some on crag list guy has 12 he's in Miami no biggy I go to Florida often but he wants 599$ each and if looked online and can get them brand new for 650-750$ anyone have any thoughts?

I need to do a lot of coop maintenance and frozen poo does not shovel well at all.

You guys do deep litter I am guessing?

We live 5 miles from downtown Indy and only have 9 birds. In our very small scale coop, we use the 'litter box' method.

I built a box 2" deep filled it with PDZ and put the chickens' roost on it. When they're roosting, they poo into the PDZ.
Liquids soak in and ammonia and other smells gets neutralized by the PDZ, and the solids sits on top. Every week or so, we come out with a cat litter scoop and scoop the poop from the PDZ.
It works great. Freezing temps works even easier.

Here's the girls roosting:

Here's the 'litterbox' dirty: (gross, sorry
sickbyc.gif
)

Here's after it's been scooped. Voila! Poo is gone!

Sorry for the randomness of the pictures. It's just what's in my phone or pre-existing in my BYC profile. I didn't have pictures of my chicken coop litterbox handy.
PS. That huge chick is one we hatched from ChickCrazed's Bielies.
love.gif

@flyladyrocks So grandfathering in... do I need surplus numbers of everything to be grandfathered in for them too? I only have three quail and one turkey (and a metric crapton of chickens). Does their presence count for anything? With the way you're talking about those pheasants, I might have to talk DH into those (stick it to the man, you know). I've thought about borrowing a goat for the last day of March, too
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom