INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Chick radar! Fort Wayne Rural King had tons of them when I was in there for feed this afternoon! I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but what I remember is red sexlinks, Cornish cross, production Rhode Island reds, Australorps, Barred Rocks, White Leghorns, just a few gold laced Wyandottes and Easter-eggers (both mislabeled
roll.png
), and Columbian Rocks! That one surprised me--those are on my Want List as well! I was able to resist, though.
wink.png
Oh, and there were pearl Guinea keets as well.

Those of you with broody experience, I had a question. Mama Margaret has been off the nest with the babies for a little less than 2 days now (she came off at around noon yesterday) and is still just sitting where I leave her in the morning and not moving all day except to shift around a few inches. I don't think she'd even be eating or drinking if I wasn't putting her right by the food and water dishes. Should I be worried about her not getting up and showing the babies how to scratch and stuff this long after she's come off the nest? She is still able to walk, because if I move her away from the babies she goes right back to them, but she's just not doing it by herself. She just still seems broody like she thinks she needs to incubate eggs. I ended up having to show the babies the food and water myself because she's just sitting there and clucking for them. She only started tidbitting at the food for them once I showed it to her. The babies are coming out from under her to eat and drink, and then going back under her for warmth just fine. I'm just worried about Mama now!
She sounds very dedicated. Just make sure she can access the chick feed and water. It won't hurt her a bit to get the higher proteins and probably help her a lot.

.CHICK RADAR REPORT!

Martinsville RK has hundreds of chicks and a bin full of ducklings!

Straight Run: RIR

Pullets: buff Brahma, ISA browns (2 bins of $2/ea on special!), Australorps, brown Leghorn, partridge Rock!

Don't Know: mystery, unlabeled bin of LF white chicks which were starting to feather with light brown tones.

Ducklings: a few Rouen, and a bunch of Khaki Campbell

Congratulate me on my willpower to get out of there without buying any. It was sooooooo hard... I'm not even sure which emoticon to stick in here, because I'm just that conflicted.

.CHICK RADAR REPORT!

Pullets: buff Brahma, ISA browns (2 bins of $2/ea on special!), Australorps, brown Leghorn, partridge Rock!

Don't Know: mystery, unlabeled bin of LF white chicks which were starting to feather with light brown tones.

Congratulate me on my willpower to get out of there without buying any. It was sooooooo hard... I'm not even sure which emoticon to stick in here, because I'm just that conflicted.

You rock.. thats saying it all. Its so hard to not buy chicks!!!
I cannot go to any farm stores. Period.

She sounds very dedicated. Just make sure she can access the chick feed and water. It won't hurt her a bit to get the higher proteins and probably help her a lot.

Yup, she and the babies are on NON-medicated chick crumbles. I have been sitting her by both the food and water dishes so that she can reach them and they aren't too far for the babies. She eats and eats and eats, and then kind of settles back into her daze for a while, and then eats and eats and eats... etc. Hoping she at least regains some weight. She got so skinny hatching those eggs!

Sometimes I think I worry too much, but then I don't want to worry too little and end up ignoring something problematic, so... I guess what I'm saying is sorry for all of the newbie questions and concerns from over here. :oops:

.CHICK RADAR REPORT!

:highfive: Willpower!!

If anyone is wondering, both Brown Leghorns and Partridge Rocks are gorgeous! Brown Leghorns are super flighty (or at least mine is) and not easy to catch except at roost time, but such gorgeous eye candy, and Partridges are big, bossy gals with a lot of personality. Both excellent layers, though the Leghorn wins out by numbers.

Tempt, tempt, tempt... ;)

.CHICK RADAR REPORT!

Columbia City TSC has what appear to be pekin ducklings on special for $2 or $2.99. If they were khaki Campbell some would have come home. They were enormous!

Yup, she and the babies are on NON-medicated chick crumbles. I have been sitting her by both the food and water dishes so that she can reach them and they aren't too far for the babies. She eats and eats and eats, and then kind of settles back into her daze for a while, and then eats and eats and eats... etc. Hoping she at least regains some weight. She got so skinny hatching those eggs!

Sometimes I think I worry too much, but then I don't want to worry too little and end up ignoring something problematic, so... I guess what I'm saying is sorry for all of the newbie questions and concerns from over here.
hide.gif

highfive.gif
Willpower!!

If anyone is wondering, both Brown Leghorns and Partridge Rocks are gorgeous! Brown Leghorns are super flighty (or at least mine is) and not easy to catch except at roost time, but such gorgeous eye candy, and Partridges are big, bossy gals with a lot of personality. Both excellent layers, though the Leghorn wins out by numbers.

Tempt, tempt, tempt...
wink.png

droolin.gif

Will be back on later to catch up. Thanks everyone for your kind words, unfortunately Gracie passed away between 330-4am. I feel she had too much blood loss as severe as her wounds were. Just devastated, my geese are my pets. I'm not convinced it wasn't a predator, I suspect a great horned owl if it was.
I am so sorry to hear that... you did what you could!

Thanks for the feedback on the ducklings @jchny2000. Those pieds are no doubt all chocolates. I'm really looking forward to watching them feather out.
Here's for hoping they're mostly girls!

Wondering about how long it takes to be able to sex them. I've got some reading to do!

So sorry about your lovely lady passing Janet.
I feel so bad for you.

Back
Top Bottom