INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I took my nephew to Eyeglass World last Saturday to get his glasses. A Canadian Goose had made a nest in the mulch. We all had to walk past it to get into the store and it hissed wildly. Children were watching it from inside the store, peering closely. It was hissing at them through the window the entire time. The Eyeglass World workers didn't care that she was there and planned to do nothing about her nest.

Lots of people think Canadian geese are worthless poo machines, but I can't stop thinking about this one. The Eyeglass World is in the middle of a busy shopping center with 6 lanes of traffic on 2 sides. I'm having awful imaginings of tiny, yellow, fuzzy, goslings getting picked off by speeding traffic. I wondered how many eggs she had under her. I've felt bad and increasingly worse every day since Saturday.

I'm wrestling with myself--what's the lesser of two evils? If I go to the shopping center in the evening and take her eggs, then the chicks die in one piece in their shells. Would that be better than traffic death? If I don't decide soon, they'll have hatched.

Is it even legal for me to interfere? If I call DNR, I'm pretty sure they won't come.

I took my nephew to Eyeglass World last Saturday to get his glasses. A Canadian Goose had made a nest in the mulch. We all had to walk past it to get into the store and it hissed wildly. Children were watching it from inside the store, peering closely. It was hissing at them through the window the entire time. The Eyeglass World workers didn't care that she was there and planned to do nothing about her nest.  

Lots of people think Canadian geese are worthless poo machines, but I can't stop thinking about this one. The Eyeglass World is in the middle of a busy shopping center with 6 lanes of traffic on 2 sides. I'm having awful imaginings of tiny, yellow, fuzzy, goslings getting picked off by speeding traffic. I wondered how many eggs she had under her. I've felt bad and increasingly worse every day since Saturday.

I'm wrestling with myself--what's the lesser of two evils? If I go to the shopping center in the evening and take her eggs, then the chicks die in one piece in their shells. Would that be better than traffic death?  If I don't decide soon, they'll have hatched. 

Is it even legal for me to interfere? If I call DNR, I'm pretty sure they won't come. 

Interfering with migratory waterfowl nests is a federal offense without a state agency intervening/assisting.

Lots of people think Canadian geese are worthless poo machines, but I can't stop thinking about this one. The Eyeglass World is in the middle of a busy shopping center with 6 lanes of traffic on 2 sides. I'm having awful imaginings of tiny, yellow, fuzzy, goslings getting picked off by speeding traffic. I wondered how many eggs she had under her. I've felt bad and increasingly worse every day since Saturday.

I'm wrestling with myself--what's the lesser of two evils? If I go to the shopping center in the evening and take her eggs, then the chicks die in one piece in their shells. Would that be better than traffic death?  If I don't decide soon, they'll have hatched. 

Those Canadian geese can be very aggressive when guarding their nests. The business there should call DNR to keep their patrons safe. I have a client who was attacked by geese at a restaurant parking lot. He fell down and got pretty hurt from their ferocious attack. Just saying, they can take very good care of themselves. In fact, it's rare that I see dead geese on the road. They seem to be thriving in well populated areas. But it's sweet of you to want to help that momma goose.

Can anyone recommend a good processor close to South Bend they are happy with? I've got a meat bird flock going to be ready in 4 weeks or so and just found out the place we used to use is no longer in business.

Down to one Khaki drake after the other duckling died this afternoon. Not sure if hawk or the child again. Found close to the middle of the yard with neck broke, big hole, and severed artery. I don't want to blame this on the kid. Found a rooster with a bleeding foot today, too, so not sure if related. A number of my roosters seem to be missing the ends of some toes, but I don't recall seeing any sign of frostbite over the winter and certainly haven't sen any more dramatic injuries. I don't get it.

Can someone help me understand the plethora of rules and regulations regarding selling eggs in Indiana? What about selling meat chickens, butchering on my property?

If I apply for a license to sell eggs at a farmers market, can my farm be inspected? I don't have anything to hide, I just don't think they need to come here and look around.

Thanks

Down to one Khaki drake after the other duckling died this afternoon. Not sure if hawk or the child again. Found close to the middle of the yard with neck broke, big hole, and severed artery. I don't want to blame this on the kid. Found a rooster with a bleeding foot today, too, so not sure if related. A number of my roosters seem to be missing the ends of some toes, but I don't recall seeing any sign of frostbite over the winter and certainly haven't sen any more dramatic injuries. I don't get it. 

Did you & the witness neighbor talk with the cops yet? So they can do their job & know what to be watching out for?

Last edited:

Lots of people think Canadian geese are worthless poo machines, but I can't stop thinking about this one. The Eyeglass World is in the middle of a busy shopping center with 6 lanes of traffic on 2 sides. I'm having awful imaginings of tiny, yellow, fuzzy, goslings getting picked off by speeding traffic. I wondered how many eggs she had under her. I've felt bad and increasingly worse every day since Saturday.

I'm wrestling with myself--what's the lesser of two evils? If I go to the shopping center in the evening and take her eggs, then the chicks die in one piece in their shells. Would that be better than traffic death? If I don't decide soon, they'll have hatched.

They won't and are still protected under the migratory fowl act. I personally love the canadian geese, but I am the crazy goose lady. Addeling the eggs are legal by the property owner, but they are probably near hatch now. Theres several goose with gosling at the park next to us.

I think they're beautiful, too. Just a couple of nights ago, I went to a local pet food store and bought some fancy bird food with dried fruit and nuts to use as chicken treats. When I walked out of the store, I noticed two Canadian geese walking on the grass by the parking lot (there's a creek that runs through the area). So, I opened the bag of treats and sprinkled some on the grass for them, and they looked like I made their day!
smile.png
When I was at the check out, the store's 17 year old cat stood on the counter and ate a few flowers off of the impatients I was buying!
roll.png
It reminded me of the garden center we go to where their peacocks roam around and snack on the plants!
@Indyshent ~ Thank you for your condolences, and I am sorry to hear about your latest loss.
hugs.gif

When a flock member dies...
You had mentioned keeping an eye on my SLW Lacey since her "sister" BR Tweedy died. Thank you for your concern because I've read animal behavior studies that assert chickens do indeed mourn and can die from depression when a special flock mate dies. I've also experienced some of my chickens' behavior in the past when a best buddy has died. As a result, when one of my chickens die, I lay it on the ground so the others can see and gather some comprehension about their flock mate instead of having it just disappear—especially if the last memory they have is me picking up a scared, sick chicken to go to the vet!
I had taken Tweedy to the vet in the evening, so before I let the chickens out in the morning, I placed Tweedy's body near their favorite hang-out under a bush. When Lacey noticed Tweedy from around 4' away, she kept turning her head back and forth using monocular vision to try to figure out why Tweedy was just laying down. Then my EE Roadrunner walked near Lacey and did the same "double-take." Next, Smalty the silkie came racing up and went right over to Tweedy making all kinds of chattering noises. I was surprised that she was the most visibly and vocally upset. Since Lacey and Roadrunner had walked away, I put Tweedy in the floor of the coop because it was getting ready to rain, and I wanted to give Lacey more time. Lacey went in and walked up to Tweedy's body and gently pecked her as though she was trying to wake her. Then she left. Smalty frantically ran in and once again made all kinds of vocalizations! I was surprised because although they got along, Tweedy was the leader and Smalty was at the bottom of the pecking order. Since then, I've been thankful that Lacey hasn't been calling for Tweedy like some of my chickens have done in the past. I have been concerned about Smalty, though, not because she seems sick or anything, but because she seems really lonely. The two big chickens go here or there together, and Smalty tries to keep up. I wish I had a silkie hen to be her buddy, but then I'd have to quarantine the hen, and I don't like to house a chicken by herself.

Back
Top Bottom