INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I havent been on in forever, but I wanted to share some of my silkies this year. Im really proud of these two. They are steel gray with no pencilling. Im hoping to start a project with them.

Hello from a chronically missing member!
smile.png
I'd love nothing more than to make this thread my priority, but life keeps getting in the way.
roll.png
I'm looking forward to catching up again!
Here's a link to an Egg Quality Issues and Causes Chart, which may help some of you. It's from the book "Chicken Health for Dummies," and excerpts are online: Chicken Egg Quality Issues - For Dummies
Recap of my quest for new flock members... One month ago, DH and I met @kittydoc in Zionsville and came home with four female LFs (we were planning to get two, but you know how that goes!) The new flock of "chicks" were the following ages:
Chocolate Cuckoo English Orpington approx. 12 weeks old
Chocolate English Orpington approx. 10 weeks old
Lavender English/American Orpington approx. 6 weeks old
Bielefelder approx. 3 weeks old

The breeds are known for being docile, and they all get along well. I've never seen one peck another even though there's quite a size/age difference between the Cuckoo and Bielefelder. As far as BFFs, the Chocolate Cuckoo and Chocolate Orps are best buds and are more trusting of the four. The Lavender and Bielefelder were housed together for a week or so at kittydoc's, so they tend to seek each other out especially when I come too close. They are both skittish even though I've spoiled them rotten! That's ok because my two four-year-old LF chickens, EE and SLW have always been skittish. I think some chickens are just born that way.

They've been doing well in quarantine in my daughter's former bedroom, which is covered in plastic, newspapers, and paper towels. I've quarantined chicks in her room before, but not often enough that I remember what a bad idea it is! LOL The dust bath I made them doesn't help! Although they've been very happy with their room service and entertainment, I have felt bad about not being able to take them outside because of the extreme heat and humidity that differed too much from their air-conditioned accommodations. I made a perch by the bedroom windows, and they enjoy looking outdoors. Finally, this week we had a break in the weather, so I've taken them across the street to DS's back yard where I set up temporary fencing and a chicken tractor. I work on removing invasive vines (my goal in life -lol) while they play. I have observed mild chest-butting —not actually butting, but brief non-threatening poses like "I'm bigger that you," and then they almost seem like they're laughing.

I've taken many photos of them but have had a terrible time getting any good shots. These were taken a few days ago.

The Cuckoo is actually slightly larger than the Chocolate.

Hopefully, my next flock members will be two female Bantam Cochins from @ellymayRans

Go ahead and expect some to be on the safe side. However, your boys have been raised together and all have (presumably) excellent pedigrees for temperament. It might happen, but it might not, or it might be really brief and goofy, or sporadic "Hey, you, get away from MY girls!" charges over a substantial portion of time. Some roosters take the intrusion of other guys on their turf/gals pretty seriously, but I've never had a fight that was remotely serious here. "Fights" vary between fluffy hackles and trash-talking to highly choreographed kickboxing (wouldn't want to actually hurt anybody, would they?). Boys first get fight-y between 3 and 7 months, in my experience, but watch out in the spring when they can get a bit hot under their hackles and wanting some action.

This is the first time in two years that I've only had one rooster (I often had from 4 to 9 roosters here). Inter-species fighting, however, has been the most serious I've dealt with, and those fights typically result from misunderstandings in body language, but may or may not involve unwarranted, unfettered buttholeishness. Guineas and turkeys are the most likely to inflict serious damage on other birds. for all the bad reputation of roosters, the worst aggressive thing I've seen them do is fail to give up their ground when the turkey train is coming through.

Depends on breeds.. my lavender orps never fight among themselves. But, I do see it occasionally in the EE boys. Right around the time the hens start laying, the boys will start to fight. 20 to 26 weeks. Think it depends on breeds and backgrounds.

Thanks. We're at about 21 weeks now & I've seen nothing. #1 roo is still #1 roo. My young Choc Cuckoo Orp likes to hold a morning crow off - but does it far away from the coop & #1 roo. It happens when they 1st get let out for about 10 min. I've seen all 3 lounge together in the afternoon under the big shade tree surrounded by hens, so I hope they don't try to change up the pecking order. They're all orps, so perhaps I'll get lucky again.

Last year my roos never had a scuffle until spring (about 14 months old). If #2 started chasing a hen, #1 would just jump into his path & the chase abruptly stopped. Occasionally vice versa. The spring scuffle wasn't too bad. It caused some raised hackles & comb scrapes. I put them both into time out. A few hours later when I put them back out, #1 was strutting & I could see #2 thinking about responding to the challenge. Then he simply lowered his head & went back to eating. Paradise restored & the brothers went back to normal.

SO sorry about all of your losses, Mandy.
hugs.gif
Just sent you a PM.
Very nice @pipdzipdnreadytogo

How will you keep snow from blowing into the sides?

Thanks, I love it!
big_smile.png
I just wanted to sit out there and admire it all morning! Too bad I had class.
hmm.png

I plan to tarp most or all of the south wall (either using something clear like shower curtains or leaving some space at the top for sun to get through) and around the west wall at least a bit. I may or may not just tarp around the entire outside to keep them out of the wind and comfy in there, though.
smile.png
That's the plan, anyway!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo Great new coop! Which ones get to move in the new place? My coop door/latches are like yours and most of my coop is open like yours except for the sleeping quarters -lol. I found one photo of my solution for weather protection. I made these somewhat transparent heavy plastic covers with grommets for my coop. I made separate covers for different areas for versatility. I screwed in little hooks to attach the grommets. They've held up four years so far. As you can see, I left areas open for ventilation.

Updated picture of my cochin roo. Hard to get a picture that does him justice, he doesn't like me eyeing him too long. LOL

His saddle feathers have really come in the last few weeks, and he's turned into a pretty impressive creature strutting across the yard.

Couldn't be happier with his temperament. Never has tried to get cross with anyone. Not sure that I would choose a feather-footed bird again, but as a first rooster, he seems to be a good one.

Last edited:
Hey all! I've been working hard on finding a new job. I think I will be hired at a hospice company this week, but it will only be on call. It may lead to full time, but I just don't know yet. The search continues! I am sick right now, so I am not doing much. The free time has allowed me to get things done at my house though! I'm doing some thorough cleaning and also doing stuff at my parent's house as well. Just working in the garden is taking a lot of time. Tomatoes are still blowing up. My dad planted 36 tomato plants and I'm about to harm him! Most of the corn fell over with the last rain, but I'm hoping we still get enough for a family get together.

I've been getting a few bantam eggs for a couple weeks now and a couple LF girls have finally decided to give up the goods!

Now for them to get bigger so I can sell some!

We have a few new additions to our flock! These handsome guys came from @kittydoc

Blue Beard (Blue English Orp)

And 2 of his sons,

Ronan

and Rascal.

They are about as sweet as can be. I love that BB has no tail. DH said he's heart-shaped lol. <3

We also have 2 new pullets laying, as of today.
yippiechickie.gif
We got a very blue egg from an EE and one that is almost pink...not sure who laid it.

I need some help with info on side sprigs. I hatched out some blues and black cochin bantams that I purchased in spring. Ended up keeping a trio. I just discovered a side sprig on my cockerel Clyde, which is killing me, I wanted to use him to help out my SL breeding pen. So, I can't use him now and he has to go, but my question is, do the pullets carry the sprig trait and can they pass it on to future cockerels that they hatch?

I also have a couple of mottled bantam cochin chicks that will be looking for homes in the next month or so, still attached to their moms. I have a mottled pair, 1 frizzled pullet and a smooth cockerel, then 1 smooth cockerel and 1 frizzled cockerel if anyone is looking to bring in some new blood.

Back
Top Bottom