INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So the coop movement and renovations continue... My Hatching & Brooding trailer is now located next to the garage, and right by the frost free hydrant. Aside from the quail, and a few guinea eggs there's nothing else planned for hatching this year. Eggs are slowing down a little, daylight getting shorter. Going to start watching for paint and linoleum to redo the trailer. Also make it more functional and easier to clean. A good friend is very talented at drawing. I asked her about painting a mural of our different animals on the outside. Once the coops are set up, we will look into electric netting.

I introduced the Pekin flock to the geese finally. They have been see, don't touch in confinement. They were all swimming and quite happy, it appears my geese miss the company. One sassy drake was quickly put in his place! They free ranged fine and didn't even take interest in the Wyandotte group that also free ranged today. Its nice to see a flock of Pekin waddling in a straight line to the pond again.

So the coop movement and renovations continue... My Hatching & Brooding trailer is now located next to the garage, and right by the frost free hydrant. Aside from the quail, and a few guinea eggs there's nothing else planned for hatching this year. Eggs are slowing down a little, daylight getting shorter. Going to start watching for paint and linoleum to redo the trailer. Also make it more functional and easier to clean. A good friend is very talented at drawing. I asked her about painting a mural of our different animals on the outside. Once the coops are set up, we will look into electric netting.

I introduced the Pekin flock to the geese finally. They have been see, don't touch in confinement. They were all swimming and quite happy, it appears my geese miss the company. One sassy drake was quickly put in his place! They free ranged fine and didn't even take interest in the Wyandotte group that also free ranged today. Its nice to see a flock of Pekin waddling in a straight line to the pond again.

I think it sounds so fun to be able to look outside and see so many different types of birds wandering around. I love watching ducks and geese but I haven't been given permission to have any (yet LOL). But the wild turkey family still hangs out here every day throughout the whole day. The 6 babies are now almost as big as the parents (the dad recently showed up just a couple weeks ago). They don't even mind me out there working in the garden, and my chickens have often wandered over to eat with them.

Bluegrass is so much fun! We have never attended.

we love it, we try to go to the bkuegrass festival every year but we don't make the blues fest very often. And I wish we wouldn't have gone this year, even though we enjoyed it, we came home to one less hen. We have reviewed all the cameras and there is just no sign of anything. So I am hoping she just wanders home soon but im sure that isn't likely.

Photo time:
I'm down to 3 roos. Brick, Moose, & good old "Mr Dummy-pants," Their names have become more descriptive than I thought.

Originally Brick got his name for being "dumb as a brick." He was blessed with good looks & not much else. It turns out he's short & kind of block-like as well. You'll see that my Biele pullet is bigger than Brick. Still, this orp boy looks amazing.

We kept 2 orp pullets named Marshmallow & Muppet, so DD wanted to name their brother "Moose" to keep the M-names.
Moose is sooooo leggy & thin - like a young moose. In the last pic it looks like he's doing a flamingo imitation. Do you think he'll fill out? Right now he looks like walking sticks!

And, Here's Mr Dummy. I doubt we'll ever be able to give him up. (Cogburn's son.)

Below is Prince. (The other son of Cogburn) We were able to find him a loving home. He even gets occasional house privileges. The new owners are very happy with him & his gentle temperament toward people & his new hens.

Here he was last summer:
lau.gif

Now I think I know who's the real father of Moose!

@Faraday40

I think "Mr. Dummy" is too sexy for his comb. (And waddles too, for that matter).
lau.gif
Yes, he's a real hunk.
He's also DD's favorite, but his patient, docile temperament & flock leadership is what makes him a keeper.

Here's one of my fav pics from last winter. This guy is always striking a pose.
LL

Our top cockerel jumped at my son feet first yesterday. I was not outside when it happened, so we went out later together. I wanted to see how Blue acted with him, with me right there. While, Blue always walks away from me (he knows I'm the boss), he stood his ground with my son and raised his hackles. All my son was doing was standing there. I told the kids no more going in without an adult. I'm really bummed, because he has shown such promise as a good roo, but I can't tolerate ANY human aggression. My kids are too small to even begin to fight off an attack. So...it seems we have no choice but to get rid of him.
sad.png
Is there anything else to be done? I know some people try to "train" a rooster, but my gut says no. Once we start letting the younger group free range with the others, the kids need to be safe. My boy is already afraid. I hate that. He loves those chickens. I don't want them to be afraid of the birds.

My dad when he was small had a 5and a half foot long stick he fought the rooster off with. as long as he wasn't trying to be mean to the bird his parents didn't have a problem with knocking the roo around if he was running up to him for an attach (I'm sure part of it they knew the rooster wouldn't get hurt very bad because my dad would have trouble swinging and hitting the bird with it, it was usually being "fanned" by it and any hits were mostly glancing blows).

So many new things going on in the coop these days. My little ones are growing up! We have 6 out of 17 of the pullets laying now. I have been doing some serious nest stalking lol. We have one laying behind the feed bin, so I have to fix that set up a little. One of my BR girls laid her first egg today and I happened to be out there for it. I would not have even noticed her in the corner, had it not been for Granger standing over her. He stood there, almost hiding her, making a soft purring noise. I was really intrigued, so I stayed until she laid. He came out, once the egg was laid, and they both sang the egg song together lol. Is this normal/common for a rooster? I have to assume it's a good thing. It was really sweet to watch.

Back
Top Bottom