INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hi All!

New member from Valparaiso- have 4 chicks. So glad to have found this site! I'll have a ton of questions I'm sure
Hello and WELCOME TO BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

I actually go to Valparaiso University! Post some pictures of your chicks!

Okay. My boyfriend does cross country Construction. he came home tonight from working out west and he brought home 2 witty bitty baby light brahmas. They still have their egg tooth. And they are hungry, I was not expecting this and I have no idea what to feed them period I would be very very very grateful for anybody to offer advice on what I could feed them with what I might have at home. I feed my older hens 16% layered pellet and then of course I have the cracked corn

Last edited:
Okay. My boyfriend does cross country Construction. he came home tonight from working out west and he brought home 2 witty bitty baby light brahmas. They still have their egg tooth. And they are hungry, I was not expecting this and I have no idea what to feed them period I would be very very very grateful for anybody to offer advice on what I could feed them with what I might have at home. I feed my older hens 16% layered pellet and then of course I have the cracked corn

I would grind up the layer pellets to be able to offer them food but tomorrow you'll want to pick up chick/starter grower. Medicated or not is up to you or what's available for you locally.

They also need 95 degree brooding area. A large cardboard box is fine. They won't survive without those things. Make sure you put a towel down or something so they're able to keep their footing. Not newspaper or you may cause splayed legs or slipped tendons. I use paper towels too.

For right now you can use a small Tupperware type lid to provide water. Anything else and they could easily drown. Pick up a chick waterer when you get feed and place marbles or clean rocks in the lip to help keep them from drowning in that. Acquiring chicks spur of the moment like that can be very stressful if you don't have these things already setup. The heat is #1

We have a great group here. Feel free to ask away. As the old saying goes, there are no dumb questions.
1f609.png

Good luck!!

I have the Little Giant 6300, with the heater in the lid, but we for have the fan or turning tray. I cracked the eggs from the last try and found that even though they were fertilized they didn't developed beyond day 3 or 4. With the eggs being porous, I can't see any veins. But Im on day 11 of this batch, with only 3 eggs that's have developed out of the 4 I started with. And the air cell is extremely bright with one egg, and has grown sine 4/7/17 and with this one, I can a fairly large dark spot in the yolk. Im hoping that I get at least this one, this time!!
If you're relying on the thermometer/hygrometer that's on the top, it is not accurate. I returned one just like the one you're using, in exchange for the older model. I suggest using a digital thermometer/hygrometer inside the unit with the eggs, if you're not already doing so.

Last edited:
I would grind up the layer pellets to be able to offer them food but tomorrow you'll want to pick up chick/starter grower. Medicated or not is up to you or what's available for you locally.

They also need 95 degree brooding area. A large cardboard box is fine. They won't survive without those things. Make sure you put a towel down or something so they're able to keep their footing. Not newspaper or you may cause splayed legs or slipped tendons. I use paper towels too.

For right now you can use a small Tupperware type lid to provide water. Anything else and they could easily drown. Pick up a chick waterer when you get feed and place marbles or clean rocks in the lip to help keep them from drowning in that. Acquiring chicks spur of the moment like that can be very stressful if you don't have these things already setup. The heat is #1

We have a great group here. Feel free to ask away. As the old saying goes, there are no dumb questions.
1f609.png

Good luck!!

Thank you!!! The brooder I knew about, and a tupperware lid is what I reached for first. Haha. But I did not know that I could use the layered pellet!!! Thank you so much!!! I think we are going to go to the store as soon as he wakes up. Haha. Vie never had chicks before. Its like a newborn! I think I woke up every hour to check on them!

Anyone in North Western Indiana near Chicago wanting to order from Metzer Farms? I only want 2 White Chinese Female Geese, and I hate for the cost of shipping to be wasted for only 2 goslings. 

We are wanting to do a few meat turkeys but won't be ready for them until July. We are down in Rensselaer.

Looking to re home my small flock of 5 birds. They are right at 1 year old and are fantastic layers. I have 3 golden comets and 2 easter eggers. The comets lay XL to Jumbo size eggs and lay daily even through winter and when they were molting. The easter eggers lay almost daily and one lays pink eggs and the other bright blue. I would like for them to stay together. I am not asking any money just that they go somewhere where they will have the proper time to care for them, a change in life circumstance will have me moving soon and will not be able to take them with me. Located in Jeffersonville in Clark county.

Back
Top Bottom