INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Its been a looooooong busy month, or I suppose July was. We started upgrading the chook's run. Driving 2x4s two feet deep is fun, but it looks better every day and I enjoy looking out in the morning to see our handy work. We had to put a lot on hold because my great grandma has been fading fast. At 89 years young, she left us this past Saturday. It hurts so much but I've still not quite come to terms with it, she was one of my best friends. I spent the entire weekend before and then some with her, thankfully I have a very understanding boss. This weekend is the funeral, but Sunday we'll be back to upgrading the run.

We also rehomed our Partridge Cochin Cockerel. I wanted to keep him to breed, but my Ameraucana roo doesn't crow and I'd like to keep it that way. We have a couple more ladies on CL to bring our flock down to size, but we're getting there. Thanks everyone for your support, hopefully I'll be back to active on here soon as things calm down.

DSCN4090.JPG
DSCN4086.JPG
DSCN4087.JPG
DSCN4089.JPG
Four moms with their chicks. All hatched within two days of one another. All is going well between them all.

The first mom pictured lays only tiny eggs with whites and no yolks and doesn't know how to mate with the rooster, but still knows how to be a mom.

All of the chicks are from a different group: a buff Orpington rooster (mostly Orpington, he has some RIR and Production Red also) X Dominique.

Attachments

• DSCN4090.JPG
    DSCN4090.JPG
    725.5 KB · Views: 1
Its been a looooooong busy month, or I suppose July was. We started upgrading the chook's run. Driving 2x4s two feet deep is fun, but it looks better every day and I enjoy looking out in the morning to see our handy work. We had to put a lot on hold because my great grandma has been fading fast. At 89 years young, she left us this past Saturday. It hurts so much but I've still not quite come to terms with it, she was one of my best friends. I spent the entire weekend before and then some with her, thankfully I have a very understanding boss. This weekend is the funeral, but Sunday we'll be back to upgrading the run.

We also rehomed our Partridge Cochin Cockerel. I wanted to keep him to breed, but my Ameraucana roo doesn't crow and I'd like to keep it that way. We have a couple more ladies on CL to bring our flock down to size, but we're getting there. Thanks everyone for your support, hopefully I'll be back to active on here soon as things calm down.

So sorry for your loss!!

DSC_5180.JPG
IMG_5369.PNG
It's been a while since I have been on. But I think I'm all caught up!
I did have a question. I posted it on the Frizzle thread, but I'm not sure if that thread it still active.

I have a 5 wk old supposed black frizzle Cochin.
She doesn't look very frizzled to me though. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them. Will her frizzleness come in in the upcoming weeks, or does she look more like a regular Cochin?

View attachment 1098898 View attachment 1098899 It's been a while since I have been on. But I think I'm all caught up!
I did have a question. I posted it on the Frizzle thread, but I'm not sure if that thread it still active.

I have a 5 wk old supposed black frizzle Cochin.
She doesn't look very frizzled to me though. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them. Will her frizzleness come in in the upcoming weeks, or does she look more like a regular Cochin?

I think you do indeed have a smooth feathered Cochin there. The frizzled Cochins will show curling feathers as soon as they start growing in. In other words, by day 3 or 4 when wing feathers start growing you can already see the curl. By 5 weeks, every feather would be coming in curled and you would be able to tell for sure. I was at TSC this spring on a day they received a shipment of bantams . I could mostly tell which ones were Cochins, seabrights and OEGB. I picked 6 Cochins that I could already see curled feathers and all 6 turned out to be red frizzled pullets! (Best luck I've ever had!) I will see if I have some pictures of my bantam cochin frizzled pullets for you to compare.

Back
Top Bottom