INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

:welcome
Welcome fellow Indiana'er!!
The site has wonderful people ready to help, and no one judges you on how crazy you can be or obsessed with poultry! I'll be going to TSC in hopes of new fluffy chicks and ducklings!
Newbie here from NE Indiana. Found this site last Saturday and spent so much time here already! This site is addicting!
Attached a pic of two of our new babies we bought at RK.

DSCN4750.JPG
DSCN4751.JPG
Chicken, Muscovy and goose!

Our chicks are four weeks old now and we are talking about taking the outside when it (finally) warms up here. What temps do you all recommend for chicks to be outside?

If they've been inside, you'll have to let them gradually acclimate. My first set were inside and went out when the temps were about 45 f. regularly at night. But I still let them have a heat source until I was sure they didn't need it anymore so that they could acclimate themselves. You can tell by their behavior.

Now I brood outdoors in the chicken house so they acclimate themselves quickly. It's surprising to me how young they will be and totally away from heat in temps as low as 30 f and less. But that's because they've weaned their own selves from heat right from the start.

Just fired up a sportsman...My Ameruacana (sp?) rooster went missing Friday night. I thin out roosters for winter, and am now needing his replacement ASAP! He sired my EE/OE flock. My Dark Cornish roo is stepping in to take his place until one is mature.

Last edited:
I have a question for people that use a cabinet style incubator for hatching.

I built a wooden cabinet incubator this winter. Lined the inside with foil insulation, fans to circulate air from the top to the bottom, etc.

My question is this: do you incubate and then hatch in the same cabinet or do you have a separate cabinet for hatching? If you hatch in the same unit, how do you control humidity?

I'm considering putting a plastic tray/tub on the
bottom shelf and hatching right in the cabinet I built, but i didn't know if I could raise humidity enough in one section on the cabinet for hatching and keep the eggs that are not ready to hatch healthy and growing.

I'll see if I have a picture to attach of what I built.

Thanks for any advice you might have
20180303_193104.jpg
20180303_192952.jpg
20180303_192935.jpg

Just fired up a sportsman...My Ameruacana (sp?) rooster went missing Friday night. I thin out roosters for winter, and am now needing his replacement ASAP! He sired my EE/OE flock. My Dark Cornish roo is stepping in to take his place until one is mature.

Unless you're trying to fill out their chests at the expense of their egg laying capacity, I'd stick your Leghorn rooster over them. White is recessive to other egg colors, he's an excellent rooster in every way (except his ear splitting crow), and he comes by bigger, better, more prolific egg genes. He's a wily guy who's got seniority in an area full of predators--despite being bright white and shiny. Absolutely your best bet unless you're looking to dual purpose your EE.

Back
Top Bottom