INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@JanetMarie
LOVE the broody and chick photos. How many new birds is that for you this year? Will you keep all or sell some?
Three ducklings (was four, but one was killed by a male muscovy who is no longer here), 10 chicks. Three chicks due next week.

I don't sell because it's always uncertain of what kind of home they will have, unless I know the person.

Love your cherry bush! Thanks to you, that has been on my wish list since last year.
It was a good find. We're terrible with our apple trees. The cherry is great because we do nothing but pick. More than enough fruit for our family, the neighborhood kids who like to sample & the wildlife. I think we're going to have to trim it this year. (It's blocking the sidewalk & branches could scrape cars in driveway.) Not sure of the best time, so now waiting until cherries are done.

New turkey poults
All 3 poults are doing OK. Here are their 1st pics (of many)

Ohhh! Shiny camera lens.....
img_0012-jpg.1438580
img_0013-jpg.1438581

A tiny chick hatched late afternoon today, there's at least one pipped egg, & another egg got smashed / cracked. (I think it is the only laced orp.) It's still alive inside the shell (but was bleeding). I brought it inside to the incubator in case I need to assist. There are also more eggs but I was unable to feel any progress.

It's definitely a staggered hatch, so I hope Jewel stays on the nest. I brought soaked food into the nest, so the early ones can eat - which they eagerly did.

@Faraday40 I am so darn jelly of these precious baby turk-turks!

We haven't had a successful hatch yet out of five broody hens
:hugs So sorry you don't have poults yet.

This is my 1st year hatching turkeys & I'm really only doing it for the challenge. I was given the eggs but we're probably not going to keep any. (The BYC member that gave us the eggs will take back the turkeys.) We live in a neighborhood & i fear they'll fly all over. However, I think the kids will have fun playing with them over the summer & make them into great pets.

My 1st hatch (incubator) = 6/6 eggs developed full term..... but only 2 hatched. The others never pipped. I think the shell was so thick & the humidity too dry. :(

This hatch (under a hen) = 4/4 eggs developed.... then one just disappeared around day 21???? The remaining 3 eggs hatched 2 days early. (day 26) Yesterday was day 21 for the chicken eggs. One hatched last night but the rest will be 1-2 days late. Although the hatch is staggered, the broody hen did a better job with the turkey eggs than my incubator.

PS- The laced orp egg that was cracked & bleeding last night was brought inside to the incubator. I kept checking on it throughout the night & this morning we have a silver laced orp chick!
:celebrate

So crazy busy... My oldest nephew closed on his first house today. Been trying to help my Sis get things packed and ready to go. He takes care of her now and she lives with him. Hmm must becoming a lot more common, seeing folks everywhere doing this, and I think its great. Really proud he has stepped up and did this for her. I really feel him seeing his Gramma fail, and living her life out in her home encouraged him to give his Mom the same. Not everyone can do this, and the elders that are given this opportunity are fortunate. She is 9 years older than I and struggling with health issues.
Geez this rain, we needed this tho! I reseeded an acre and a half with perennial rye. I plan to let it go to seed, then reopen that pasture for everyone. I will reseed the other pasture when we do. The reseed next season will be Orchard grass.
CX (Cornish Cross) meat chickens are doing awesome! I plan to start free range in another week. They went outdoors about a week ago and are doing very well.

@Faraday40 I am so darn jelly of these precious baby turk-turks!

We haven't had a successful hatch yet out of five broody hens
:barnie This is why I quit keeping them. I adore poults, and really enjoy the turkeys period. Baby turkey (and gosling) are sooo sweet! The key is getting the eggs to hatch and having folks wanting to buy them. They are a larger bird and the feed bill gets costly. DH was a little disappointed, and my Dad too. I just can't justify the cost for the production. They are a pretty fun pet until they start attacking your productive livestock. I can't have that here. I have 1 barn cat left they didn't chase off or kill. I am not adding any more cats too many are dumped here.
I miss the gobbles, and Thanksgiving (Tank) following me around! Miss Bacon most :hit.

Back
Top Bottom