INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I just messaged Meyer Hatchery where Agrarian purchases their birds. I sent a photo of the 7 week old Cochin. Here's the Reply:
Still early to tell for certain, but I am not seeing any obvious rooster characteristics. Here is our blog on some things to look for to determine gender in young chickens
https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2018/03/19/what-to-look-for-in-determining-gender-in-young-chickens/
Btw, I've messaged and emailed Meyer Hatchery in the past, and they have always responded quickly and have been nice and helpful.

Sooo my chubbies (Cornish cross meat birds) are getting big, but honestly I have seen better growth. They arrived at the end of May, and still are pretty small for being 6+ weeks. I plan 1 more smaller batch and will go back to fermenting food for the next guys. May not purchase them from Meyer again. In all fairness tho I have used Meyer hatchery before, and its probably the terrible heat and humidity we had up til Friday here. I didn't hatch last year at all except barnyard mix for a friend. I think the other key thing with the CX is having normal chicken chicks with them to teach free ranging. There are only a few that actually leave the coop most are cockerels.
No calves yet :barnie and every cow person I know is amazed. All the signs are there. I skipped a family picnic, and helping a nephew move so far. Afraid to leave her in case we have a problem. My other heifer Dixie is beginning to show signs too. She is huge may be twins. Told DH I am so afraid to travel far and my girls have a problem.

TONS of tomatoes coming in and the plants are about 6ft tall, I love tomatoes and will eat them like an apple. going to can salsa this year. peppers didn't do so well but i have maybe 8 plants different types.
8 rows of corn 40ft each. Beans and peas not doing well from heat. Tons of cukes, and squash. Taters will harvest sometime this week, plants are dying. Going to make more changes for next year. I am sold, trellis gardening is awesome!

Hey guys I will have a Cornish cross processing day coming soon. Its a hands on yourself, not doing this for you event. I have done this for years; and often folks just stood and watched. If you want to learn to do it yourself, this is your chance. Bring your own bird or I will offer one of my own roosters. Learn how to process a chicken. Its free unless you use one of my birds. $5 per rooster. I will teach you a humane method to dispatch the bird. How I prepare it to be stored or cooked. Part of keeping chickens is roosters. Hard to re home, rarely you can. Dumplings, soups and stew for that mean fella or hen.

Hi Pipd! ~ Hmmm, now I am confused. Anyone else familiar with LF Cochins? I'll try to get a new photo with better lighting.
I had the same thought as Pipd about the coloring. I had a LF Partridge Cochin from Agrarian last year that turned out to be a male. He grew black patchy coloring instead of even bars.

Hey guys I will have a Cornish cross processing day coming soon. Its a hands on yourself, not doing this for you event. I have done this for years; and often folks just stood and watched. If you want to learn to do it yourself, this is your chance. Bring your own bird or I will offer one of my own roosters. Learn how to process a chicken. Its free unless you use one of my birds. $5 per rooster. I will teach you a humane method to dispatch the bird. How I prepare it to be stored or cooked. Part of keeping chickens is roosters. Hard to re home, rarely you can. Dumplings, soups and stew for that mean fella or hen.
I'm in!

I promised myself that this would be the year I get over this hurdle. I have a Black Langshan rooster who I had to teach to respect my space. He's actually doing quite well now that he's learned to keep out of my way. But I've already replaced him with better looking specimens, and it will be nice to not have to watch my back.

No calves yet :barnie and every cow person I know is amazed. All the signs are there. I skipped a family picnic, and helping a nephew move so far. Afraid to leave her in case we have a problem. My other heifer Dixie is beginning to show signs too. She is huge may be twins. Told DH I am so afraid to travel far and my girls have a problem.
We had a calf. He and his mama got out last week and a neighbor tried to be helpful and tied them to his truck and drove them home. Apparently he fell and the guy dragged him all the way home, he was dead when he got to our house. Said sorry, didn't offer any reimbursement.

@DancingGoatFarm That's just awful! I'm so sorry for you.

(And really angry that someone would be so stupid to transport animals that way. :mad:)
I've moved them like that, and if you make sure you can always see them in the mirror, or have a spotter with you it doesn't hurt as long as you go slow, cows are not marathon runners.
But we had plans for the little guy and he was our first and only calf.

Been busy helping DD get ready for the fair. She's been drawing, gluing, taking photos, practicing baking bread, dancing, making posters, etc....

Here are some of my favs of her photography: (Her silkied serama has been a big - or little- inspiration this year.)
teddy email.jpg IMG_0902 copy - Copy.jpg oeg.jpg teddy grass.jpg IMG_0912 copy - Copy.jpg

She can only enter 1 photo & 1 photo edit, so here are her choices: Monarch Done2 - Copy.jpg pink teddy grass.jpg

She also wrote & received a grant for her poultry project to get a keyboard & camera. She's been training a chicken to play piano. (Well, sort of. Bubbles hasn't been feeling up to much this past week Last week she was playing 7-10 notes in a row all by herself. Of course I didn't film it, so we simply used what we had. Tomorrow she presents 14 of her projects and the last 2 on Tuesday. Busy, busy girl!

Been busy helping DD get ready for the fair. She's been drawing, gluing, taking photos, practicing baking bread, dancing, making posters, etc....

Here are some of my favs of her photography: (Her silkied serama has been a big - or little- inspiration this year.)
View attachment 1478273 View attachment 1478268 View attachment 1478271 View attachment 1478274 View attachment 1478269

She can only enter 1 photo & 1 photo edit, so here are her choices: View attachment 1478270 View attachment 1478272

She also wrote & received a grant for her poultry project to get a keyboard & camera. She's been training a chicken to play piano. (Well, sort of. Bubbles hasn't been feeling up to much this past week Last week she was playing 7-10 notes in a row all by herself. Of course I didn't film it, so we simply used what we had. Tomorrow she presents 14 of her projects and the last 2 on Tuesday. Busy, busy girl!

My advice as a graphic designer is to throw out the picture of the pink chicken and the black background. I realize that photoshop is "fun" when playing around with it but you have to accept your limitations with the program. Id take the original image and simply apply a warming filter. You have beautiful photos so dont ruin them.

Back
Top Bottom