INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Going to plant 1 more round of sugar snap peas. Especially when my daughters visit, they never make it in the house lol! Next year I plan to put in a full row. They are frost hardy so we should get a fair harvest before the hard cold sets in. The other half of that row the cherry tomatoes are about done so I'm going to put in Bok choy.
Chickens still molting and egg production is way down. Have a couple broodies no chicks yet. 1 scovy hen still on a nest. Any other birds going broody I'm not going to allow its just too late in the year.

Here is my cockerel boy that is available for $20.00 to an approved home. His background breeds are: Buff Orpington, Dominique, Ameraucana, Rose Comb RIR, and Production Red. He has been fed only organic and chemical free grain, no soy and a lot of free range time.

DSCN6171.JPG
DSCN6170.JPG
DSCN6169.JPG

I have a rooster question. 3 of my 6 birds are male. I doubt ill have much luck rehoming two of them since I see quite a lot of posts mentioning a rooster abundance and I really doin't want to cull if I don't have to. Since this is my first go-round I was hoping for a bit of advice.

I guess my question is if this is something I can get away with till next spring till I get some hens to dilute the ratio, or am I playing with fire and risking into walking into.a bloodbath one day

I see them as backyard pets, so I don't want to create a situation where they are miserable trying to kill each other

I have a rooster question. 3 of my 6 birds are male. I doubt ill have much luck rehoming two of them since I see quite a lot of posts mentioning a rooster abundance and I really doin't want to cull if I don't have to. Since this is my first go-round I was hoping for a bit of advice.

I guess my question is if this is something I can get away with till next spring till I get some hens to dilute the ratio, or am I playing with fire and risking into walking into.a bloodbath one day.

I see them as backyard pets, so I don't want to create a situation where they are miserable trying to kill each other
You'll need 6-10 hens per rooster and if keeping the entire group together you could still have problems of one rooster trying to kill the other one. To keep peace you'll need a lot of free range space, and I mean a lot. Don't keep them in a run, unless you plan to separate into groups with one rooster per group.

Keep in mind too, that out of the pullets you get, some of those are likely to be cockerels.

I haven't had much success in keeping more than one rooster per group of hens.

Hi, all! I know this is probably a long shot, but I told my sister I would try, so here goes.

I know people have discussed rabbits here, but it's been pretty quiet here lately... Are there any rabbit people around anymore? Or anyone looking to get into rabbits? My niece got them for 4H about 2 years ago and has been trying to neglect them as of late. Recently, she's taken to lying about whether they have their basic needs taken care of, particularly cleaning out their hutch and making sure they have water. Needless to say, I'm deeply disappointed in this behavior. :hmm I'm doing my best to make sure they're well taken care of for now, but I didn't sign up to raise rabbits and I really don't have the time or know-how to properly handle them on top of all my birds. They are black Mini Rexes; one intact female named Willow and one surprise male, Sage, who has been neutered. The person we got them from tattooed their names in their ears as ID for 4H, so they can be told apart by that. I don't actually have any current pictures of them but can get some if needed. I'm just looking for a good home for them or an avenue to find a good home for them, so let me know if you know of one, but no worries if not, of course!

@Faraday40
We got a dog that was like yours when I was a kid. My parents worked and worked with it. Had never had such a hard dog to train in their lives, and most of their dogs were very well trained.

My My dad finally got to the place where he could not tolerate it any longer. I think they kept her about a year. Even though our animals were friends and part of the family, he decided not to keep her. It was a good decision, but very hard.

Egg-citing news. DS's little chicken 'Coge' made her 1st little egg yesterday. (19 weeks old) Crazy little bird kept escaping the back yard & wandering through the garage. I ended up locking her up in a temp coop with some 1-2 month old chicks because I got tired of throwing her back over the fence. We found a tiny egg in there, so it had to be her. It's almost 1" long. So cute!

Millie - her Leghorn sister / hatch-mate - shows no signs of starting.

Tillie (last year's Leghorn) started laying in mid Sept & has never missed a day since. Of course she also liked to hop the fence & deposit her eggs in our screened room. Why is it that only DS's birds fly the fence to lay their eggs in strange places?

I guess my question is if this is something I can get away with till next spring till I get some hens to dilute the ratio, or am I playing with fire and risking into walking into.a bloodbath one day

I've kept roosters a long time now. I keep 2 boys for any breed I plan raising. Most cases especially hatchery breeds one cockerel will dominate. I choose 1 good fella by demeanor.
Hi, all! I know this is probably a long shot, but I told my sister I would try, so here goes.

I know people have discussed rabbits here, but it's been pretty quiet here lately... Are there any rabbit people around anymore? Or anyone looking to get into rabbits? My niece got them for 4H about 2 years ago and has been trying to neglect them as of late. Recently, she's taken to lying about whether they have their basic needs taken care of, particularly cleaning out their hutch and making sure they have water. Needless to say, I'm deeply disappointed in this behavior. :hmm I'm doing my best to make sure they're well taken care of for now, but I didn't sign up to raise rabbits and I really don't have the time or know-how to properly handle them on top of all my birds. They are black Mini Rexes; one intact female named Willow and one surprise male, Sage, who has been neutered. The person we got them from tattooed their names in their ears as ID for 4H, so they can be told apart by that. I don't actually have any current pictures of them but can get some if needed. I'm just looking for a good home for them or an avenue to find a good home for them, so let me know if you know of one, but no worries if not, of course!
I no longer keep them they just don't compare to wild rabbit. I do know there are folks on here that do.

I've kept roosters a long time now. I keep 2 boys for any breed I plan raising. Most cases especially hatchery breeds one cockerel will dominate. I choose 1 good fella by demeanor.

I no longer keep them they just don't compare to wild rabbit. I do know there are folks on here that do.
I know many many here hatch their own birds either to sell or to keep, and either rehome extra roos or they do like the old farm family practices and they hit the frying pan/soup pot first followed by old spent hens, and any hen that eats her eggs or who otherwise is not a "fit bird" for the hen house....

on the Rabbit rehomeing I know that mini rexes are usually pets, but here in Bloomington if you can make the right connections for larger breeds you can sell meat birds for a hefty sum, one local butcher sells them for like 25-35 bucks per rabbit dressed! could be a good source of income if someone wants to try...

Back
Top Bottom