Indoor Pet Silkie

AuntKK

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
I have an indoor pet Silkie, she has a coop in the house, plus spends time outside as well. My question is, is it safe to put "Feline Fresh" litter in her indoor coop. It is "a natural by-product of the lumber industry" There are no chemicals or toxins, it is entirely made of pine product. I wonder if she would try to eat this. I just want to put a fine layer on the bottom of the coop to help keep down the odor. Any suggestions will be welcomed. She is my first and only chicken, so I am still learning

I don't think chickens "have to have" companionship of another chicken unless they are treated as "regular chickens". If they're raised in a house with a human being as constant companionship it's a different situation than a chicken left outside in a coop by themselves 24/7...entirely different. A flock need not consist of chickens...it can consist of 1 chicken, 1 dog, and 1 guinea pig who all adore each other. It can also consist of 1 chicken and 1 human with daily interaction. It depends on how much time you have on your hands to spend with her.

There are many people with only 1 indoor pet chicken and the chickens are perfectly happy...you don't "need" another chicken to keep it company in a situation like yours.

People say the same thing about parakeets and ours is perfectly happy by herself - with free range of the entire house. Her only issue is perch humping due to no "mate", but that is a hormonal reaction and not an emotional need; she's a very delightful and happy bird.

To answer your question you asked and nobody has answered yet - the pellet form of Feline Fresh is fine for chickens. The clumping form of Feline Fresh is not fine, because it can and will accumulate and clump inside their crop, causing serious impaction. Per Dr. Arelan - board certified veterinary surgeon.

I would advise against either one, but only because they are for cats, not chickens. I'd stick with a mix of pine shavings, DE and Sweet PDZ.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure your pet Silkie is perfectly happy just being with you, and thank you for sharing a picture with us!

Last edited:
My Muffy

Or if you are not going to get another chicken i still think that your silkie will need some sort of other animal.
The best bet is probably getting a rabbit because they create great friendships and they can live in the same indoor coop.

I would use dry straw for the bedding because the rabbit and the chicken would love it.
jumpy.gif

Hope that helps

Dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, all can bring disease in the house, I think Silkies are fine in the house and even Tori Spelling has a pet silkie in the house. I like horse wood pellets but the cat litter may be okay... Maybe someone with experience will chime in. :). I agree that chickens are flock animals and you should have another one for company. Frequent outdoor time should be encouraged.

yes she gets outside alot, during the summer she is outside more than in...winters are cold here and since she doesn't have a buddy to snuggle up with outside, she only goes out on warmer days. She has bonded with our golden retriever, she loves him and snuggles up to him when she is out of her cage and he lays next to her cage alot...it is the cutest thing. She is with us all day and evening, rarely is she alone. We recently got a kitten and he loves her, she puts him in his place, but she has lots of activiity around her so she shouldn't be too lonely. I don't think I could handle another chicken at this time...but if she seems too lonely I will consider it. She is one year old now and seems to be quite happy :)

I have a Belgan Bearded D'Anver inside. shes special needs :) we just have her in a dog crate with potty pads down but she is diapered 24/7 so we don't have to worry about smell and clean up :) muffy is her name!! shes amazing

hello!!!!!!!!!! I have an indoor d"anver hen who wares diapers :) no pellets or shavings! easy and clean. also she gets a bath every week so she stays clean and dosnt have any dander. chickens don't carry dieses and crap like people think.. really they r as healthy and clean as u keep them. you bring in a chicken w lice yes it has lice but anything can have live when you get it. always check!!

Back
Top Bottom