Infertile Roosters

Oxcart01

Hatching
Jan 28, 2024
Hi
I have barred rocks and I would like a rooster to protect my flock. However, my wife won’t eat or use fertilized eggs.. no conversation here or options “it is what it is”as my boss use to say!

Is there any type of Rooster you can get that won’t or can’t fertilize a hens eggs?

Thank you!

The simple answer, no. There are some infertile males out there, but there is no way of knowing before you incubate the eggs they've sired. I would like to ask you to define what you mean by protecting, since most times this behaviour is misunderstood. A rooster that charges towards any possible threat is almost always a dead one. A good male is there to look out for predators, and sound warning calls when he deems it necessary, so that the girls can go into hiding.

A fertilized egg that isn't being incubated is the same as an infertile egg, for the record. There is no life inside of it

Hi
I have barred rocks and I would like a rooster to protect my flock. However, my wife won’t eat or use fertilized eggs.. no conversation here or options “it is what it is”as my boss use to say!

Is there any type of Rooster you can get that won’t or can’t fertilize a hens eggs?

Thank you!
Welcome to BYC.

Does she know what a fertilized egg looks like? I doubt it if she won't eat one.
I would just tell her you found an infertile rooster someone was rehoming and put him in the flock. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

Fertilized eggs are no different then eggs that aren't.
Some common misconceptions is that some think fertilized eggs already have chicks in them, or are inedible, or if an egg has blood it's fertilized.

Blood in eggs is common whether they're not fertilized, or are. Usually it's a glitch in the reproductive tract, or the bird is a very flighty breed. These eggs are completely safe to eat.

Hi

Thank you!
Hello and welcome to byc!

In basic summary it's very difficult to achieve an infertile rooster. However I'd suggest getting an older rooster. If you want higher chances at an infertile rooster best you'll probably get is a retired rooster from a breeder who's looking to sell them so they can get a younger rooster.

However it's important to realize that although fertile eggs have the potential to develop life it takes about 2 days of consistent incubation so an infertile egg is the same thing as an infertile eggs only it had to potential for life!

Back
Top Bottom