INFO ON GOATS? I NEED HELP WITH THIS PROJECT...

Chickenfan4life

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2012
Planet No
OK, my parents might let me get a few goats to show and breed for my 14th birthday. But, first, I need info on how to care for them properly. Can someone please give me straight answers to the following questions?

1) How big a pen do three goats need

2) How much would a purebred goat such as a Nubian cost

3) How much do they eat (my parents' biggest concern
roll.png
)

4) What kind of fencing do they need

5) Are they easy to breed/kid

6) What should their housing conditions be

Thank you for answering my questions.

Sincerely,
Hannah.

Last edited:
OK, my parents might let me get a few goats to show and breed for my 14th birthday. But, first, I need info on how to care for them properly. Can someone please give me straight answers to the following questions?

1) How big a pen do three goats need at least pen and pasture of about 1 1/2 to 2 acres.

2) How much would a purebred goat such as a Nubian cost with papers - $150 to $300 and more if show winner

3) How much do they eat (my parents' biggest concern
roll.png
) They need pasture, hay, alfafa pellets and goat feed .... and they like to eat brush etc. This will vary but we are
estimating $60 for 3 at current feed prices which will be rising. if there is pasture as well as brush available for browsing.

4) What kind of fencing do they need cattle plus electric

5) Are they easy to breed/kid You will need to keep records of exposure dates so you are available to assist. You need to decide if you will be bottle feeding babies or not. We do. There are times we have had to assist with births

6) What should their housing conditions be Dry, shelter from rain on 3 sides, with hay racks an stalls to separate, electricity is helpful as is running water, storage of your goat supplies

Hannah hope that has answered some of your questions! Good luck, Love our goats and that wonderful goat milk!
Thank you for answering my questions.

Sincerely,
Hannah.

Thank you, that is helpful. I really want to raise purebred goats. It sounds like an interesting idea, and, I am currently selling eggs and making $3.50 a dozen which adds up quick. I am trying to get a job as a dog walker; just about everyone has dogs, where I live. Plus I will soon be selling Bantam chicks, so I am hoping to add this together with B-day money, Christmas money, and allowance to make the amount of money needed for goats.

Ok, some more questions:

1) Are they easy to show:

2) Would a 14 year old be able to sell their kids easily:

3) Are Nubian bucks mean:

4) Do you win prize money at shows: (that would help cover bills)

5) Would a converted metal shed be an appropriate house setup for them:

6) What are the recognized colors of a Nubian goat:

Thank you for your help.
Hannah.

Only help I can give is to the size of the house I would think a shed would be fine, this is 4'x8' and was cheap to build, I will be painting red and shingling the roof until then it is covered in a tarp for protection. They only go in if it is raining, other then that they like to sleep under the deck I am asuming it is cooler... Here is my girls house :) Baby is a pygmy and baby is a mutt (pygmy/nubian/bore) I don't show or any of that they are my pets and I milk Baby for family use.

Ok, some more questions:

1) Are they easy to show: Ive never done is before but my nubian buck is amazingly well behaved!

2) Would a 14 year old be able to sell their kids easily: YES! Just do more research so you know alot about them. I went to the library and rented alot of books before i bought mine

3) Are Nubian bucks mean:Mine is really sweet but hes gotten daily attention since he was a baby so thats probabaly why hes so sweet,

4) Do you win prize money at shows: (that would help cover bills) Not sure

5) Would a converted metal shed be an appropriate house setup for them: I have one and theres some dents in it from ramming lol. I wish i would of built a sturdy wood shelter.

6) What are the recognized colors of a Nubian goat: Brown with a black stripe down the neck to the tail.

Thank you for your help.
Hannah.
I have 3 goatsm two dwarfs and a nubian, and they have a whole 1/4 of an acre with lots of bushes and grass to eat and its plenty for them. And i also give them grain which costs me about $20 a month for all 3. Plus alfalfa/ orachard mix which is $17 a bail and lasts along time in the summer time. If you get a buck make sure not to just feed him straight alfalfa because it can give them kidney stones or something like that..so feed him alfalfa orchard mix :)

Back
Top Bottom