Ingenious Web Designer needed 4 breed ID

Naked necks, though I have to say if you're trying to ID a naked neck chick, you would have to be pretty clueless. (We're all pretty clueless on so many issues, no matter our expertise in others--so I'm not bashing:) So, are you designing this web page? Is this an actual happening? Sounds like a fun project and I know I could have used one of these search tool things a gazillion times. Too bad "gaggle" is a group of geese--would be a great name for a water poultry search site.

Quote:

Tiger/Tiger Lily (love the cautious duel purpose name) is adorable, and will obviously grow to be a loving chicken when treated with such warmth. Breeds are fun, but the chicken's unique personality is what makes her such a gift. Breed does not matter. I've had beautiful mutts that run to greet me and talk my ears off (and lay plentiful eggs with rich orange yolks). You are right to love T/TL just for being.

Quote:

Quote:

I can barely post and reply to messages, let alone design a webpage. Hoping that maybe if we get the ideas going that someone can design it.

TexChix - you are right that the breed isn't what makes us love the birds and I have some mixes as well, but there is all this curiousity saying what is this chicken even if I don't really care what breed it is. lol

Oh I agree--it's like the ancestry dot com for chickens. We all get curious about finding some great heritage in our blood (even the mutts). It would also be nice to have the same sort of search for chicken illnesses--except just about everything that happens to them seems to appear as runny poop and lethargy. Might be too much cross over.

Quote:
I would LOVE to see this, and also updated shots of chicks....say 2 weeks, 4 weeks etc...I have a few I can't identify either, and nobody else can, "its too early", wouldn't it be great if it weren't too early, that we could go to this site and see the chick grow up and easily identify....! Wonderful idea...will be checking back in to see how this progresses! **everyone could submit their own photos of particular chicks at different ages to help make this a true community forum!

Tex chic, good idea with the sickness one. Also Judy Joe, I refer to feathersite for pics but it would be great for this also. Hmmm no volunteer computer techies yet.

Henderson's Handy-Dandy Chicken Chart has a wealth of information for classifying a bird ( http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html) He even notes if a breed is recognized by two different Poultry standards (American and UK, I believe).

Other variants: skin color (did you say that already), beards, muffs, ear tufts, crests, ear lobe color, body shape, tail angle and length (or rumpless), feathering (loose or tight). I often find personality (flighty vs docile) can be distinctive to breeds (my little leghorn hen wants little to do with anyone but my silkie rooster sits on my kids laps and let them pet him while they all watch Mythbusters). Total couch potato rooster.

Back
Top Bottom