inhaling water if heald upside down

celtic red

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2016
Ok, there is probably a thread somewhere that I haven't found about this, but I am going to start another one. I have a roo that is my pride and joy. He is a gentle giant. I have a slightly low door on his run and he was scooped up properly, but I had to duck due to the door. This ended in my tipping him forward, I wouldn't say upside down but a downward angle. He had just been drinking water. For the last 2 weeks he has been sounding like a coffee percolator when he breathes. It is definitely worse at night, but this doesn't seem to affect his eating, drinking or crowing. Now he is quarantined in my house (yes I did say my house). I have used Vetrx under his wings, on his waddle and crest in hopes this might ease his breathing at night. But there is no change. He crows, because he is lonely, all day long. He eats like a horse and produces plenty of health.....manure. Does anyone know what I can do for my boy?

Ok, there is probably a thread somewhere that I haven't found about this, but I am going to start another one. I have a roo that is my pride and joy. He is a gentle giant. I have a slightly low door on his run and he was scooped up properly, but I had to duck due to the door. This ended in my tipping him forward, I wouldn't say upside down but a downward angle. He had just been drinking water. For the last 2 weeks he has been sounding like a coffee percolator when he breathes. It is definitely worse at night, but this doesn't seem to affect his eating, drinking or crowing. Now he is quarantined in my house (yes I did say my house). I have used Vetrx under his wings, on his waddle and crest in hopes this might ease his breathing at night. But there is no change. He crows, because he is lonely, all day long. He eats like a horse and produces plenty of health.....manure. Does anyone know what I can do for my boy?
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Do you have a vet?
Can you post a video of him and his breathing?
How old is he?
Did you notice if he was gurgling before you picked him?
Any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, mucous, any chirping at night?

It's possible he may have aspirated water and it turned into a respiratory infection. It's also possible that he has one of the many respiratory disease that affect poultry (Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, etc.).

For breathing to be worse at night, he could have Infectious Bronchitis, but there is no way to know for sure without testing. Unless he has worsening symptoms like infection, mucous, swelling of facial tissues or eyes, if it's viral antibiotics won't be effective.

Since it's been two weeks, you may want to have him seen by a vet. Offer him some poultry vitamins and some extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to his normal feed.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I do have a video, I'm not sure that I will be able to post it, but I will give it a try. His breathing got really bad last night and his comb started turning a grayish tint. I I held him and stroked him for quite a while. His breathing returned to his current normal.
does anyone know how to load a video that is not on utube or the web? the video I have is just on my computer.

I do have a video, I'm not sure that I will be able to post it, but I will give it a try. His breathing got really bad last night and his comb started turning a grayish tint. I I held him and stroked him for quite a while. His breathing returned to his current normal.
does anyone know how to load a video that is not on utube or the web? the video I have is just on my computer.
Welcome to BYC! You have to upload it to YouTube or Vimeo then post or embed that link.

Spent all day figuring out how to get it from my phone to my computer, then tried to upload it to facebook, took a while but gave that up due to not understanding how to get it in the right format. So finally figured out how to get it on you tube.....obviously videos, editing, formats and using you tube aren't my strong points! To say the least. Finally achieved it and I am now awaiting an approval from BYC on my using an offsite video? So when it gets approved I guess it will be posted.

Spent all day figuring out how to get it from my phone to my computer, then tried to upload it to facebook, took a while but gave that up due to not understanding how to get it in the right format. So finally figured out how to get it on you tube.....obviously videos, editing, formats and using you tube aren't my strong points! To say the least. Finally achieved it and I am now awaiting an approval from BYC on my using an offsite video? So when it gets approved I guess it will be posted.
You should be able to post the link like this:

Quote:
Thank you for taking time to post the video. He does sound quite congested. I don't see any obvious facial swelling, runny eye or mucous from the nostrils that usually accompany respiratory disease. It's possible one of those could be the cause of his breathing difficulty, but as you suspect he may have aspirated water/fluids and now it has caused an infection.

If you have a vet that can see him and give you meds that would be best. Otherwise you can try giving him some Tylan50 to see if that helps. Injectable Tylan50 can be found at most feed stores. The dosage is 1cc or 1ml per 5lbs of weight. You can give this orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4" deep.

Kathy @casportpony may have a better suggestion.

Try to encourage him to drink to keep him hydrated (if you have them add some vitamins to his water). Offer his wet feed so he doesn't have to try to work with dry dusty feed. Give him some hard boiled egg or tuna for extra protein.

I hope he starts to improve with treatment, he is beautiful. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
@celtic red , great advice from @Wyorp Rock . If this noise started just after he aspirated water my best guess is aspiration pneumonia. If he is a valuable pet, I would suggest getting him to a vet ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom