injured and emaciated

Silkie Pal

Hatching
Jan 10, 2023
I took a 3 month old Silkie from a friend who was trying to help her after someone dropped it on a concret floor. She took her to the vet who said she had nerver damage, her legs didn't work. The chicken wasn't eating well so she started feeding her Ensure and a green algae drink! This went on for a month before she asked me if I could help. I worked at a wildlife rehab place and helped many birds. When I got her she had no muscle mass on her keel and was very weak. I have been syringe feeding her Start and Grow crumbles mixed with water that I mixed with probiotics and eletrolytes. And honey water. I have had to massage her crop so it works. I am thinking since she is missing muscles, maybe that is why the crop isn't working. Does she have a chance? Even if she perks up, I am afraid her legs will never work. Any advice?

Give her some scrambled eggs. She really needs the protein- it's easy to squish some into a 5 or 10cc syringe.. Also, try and get some B12 into her to help perk her up
I've done several rescues and the protein & B12 cam help turn the tides in a very ill rescue. As for her legs, she may very well never walk again, but once she gains some strength, you could attempt physical therapy to try and get her to at least stand, but the likely outcome is you will have a handicapped little fluff ball on your hands

Give her some scrambled eggs. She really needs the protein- it's easy to squish some into a 5 or 10cc syringe.. Also, try and get some B12 into her to help perk her up
I've done several rescues and the protein & B12 cam help turn the tides in a very ill rescue. As for her legs, she may very well never walk again, but once she gains some strength, you could attempt physical therapy to try and get her to at least stand, but the likely outcome is you will have a handicapped little fluff ball on your hands
Thanks for your reply. I have been adding scrambled eggs (I forgot to mention!). She is getting vit B12 in the electrolytes I mix your gruel with but probably not enough. I will add more. Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply. I have been adding scrambled eggs (I forgot to mention!). She is getting vit B12 in the electrolytes I mix your gruel with but probably not enough. I will add more. Thanks again!
No problem. Please keep us updated on how she'd doing!

Also if you can get some suet into her, also bump B12 to b complex, give calcium citrate and vitamin e 💗. I've read on other posts that kaytee baby bird food is easier to syringe. I actually saw it at a regular pet store!

Sorry for being late.
Try feeding her lots of proteins.
This will help the muscles of her digestive tract and help her get stronger.
Is she getting better??

Back
Top Bottom