Jul 23, 2023
Not sure what happened but I noticed my rooster’s been having trouble pooping. At first I thought he was constipated or he had matted feathers and we’re at fluffy butt time of the year so I couldn’t see (my chickens are friendly with me but not enough to let me pick them up).

He pecks at the area and has removed enough feathers now so I can see there’s definitely a wound there. I’m now thinking something attacked him through the fence. One of his spurs is broken and there was a bunch of feathers along one side of the fence.

I was wondering if I could spray some salvon or iodine into the wound using a spray bottle and then release him. I don’t want to catch him and hold onto him for too long because I don’t want to stress him out (to try and bathe the area for example). Especially since other than that he’s doing fine, still eating, drinking and harassing the hens. I’m not as stressed as I was since this morning I saw him poop.

Pictures can be helpful if you could get assistance in early morning or late evening while he is roosting. Savlon (cetramide and chlorhexidene) or the povidone iodine would be fine to use if there is a wound. Make sure first the
at he has no maggots in the wound. Opportunistic flies will lay eggs on poopy butts or wounds, and cause fly strike. If maggots are there it would be best to remove him to a warm soapy butt bath, and get all off. Then apply the Savlon or iodine. Maggots would require isolating him in a cage or crate and repeated baths and treatment for a couple of days. Look to see if he is constipated or has symptoms of a fungal infection (vent gleet, cloacitis.)

Back
Top Bottom