Injured free-range chicken in my yard

They don’t injure themselves from falling. If one falls from the roost, its because its already sick.

I’d bet that chicken is diseased, not injured. Probably better to let nature take its course. You don’t want a weak chicken reproducing anyhow where the chickens are having to fend for themselves in feral conditions. Its survival of the fittest, and helping the less fit to survive can be detrimental to the flock. Sometimes what’s best for the group isn’t what’s best for the individual.

Last update:

Let the chicken out today... it seems much better. It uses both legs, but I do see it limp from time to time. The other birds went up into the tree just before sunset, but I didn't see her go up.... but I have looked and looked all around the yard, so I assume she found a spot to spend the night. I think she will be fine or at least be be able to get by on her own again. I don't think she is diseased at all!

Last update:

Let the chicken out today... it seems much better. It uses both legs, but I do see it limp from time to time. The other birds went up into the tree just before sunset, but I didn't see her go up.... but I have looked and looked all around the yard, so I assume she found a spot to spend the night. I think she will be fine or at least be be able to get by on her own again. I don't think she is diseased at all!
Birds can recover from many of the common poultry diseases if they get special care. I've done it before where I've given a lot of care to sick birds that I favored. Sometimes they recover and seem normal for the rest of their lives. But their offspring will almost to a T end up being susceptible to whatever their parent was.

It will work out one way or their other. If she was sick and her propensity to the pathogen passes on, her offspring won't survive and she'll just be a genetic dead end. Her genes will end when she does.

It's your call to make. The chickens exist for your pleasure or use.

Back
Top Bottom