Injured Hen - Questions about recovery

SnowflakeMama

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Prince George, British Columbia
Hi,
I read a whole bunch of posts and didn't find the info I was looking for so I sincerely hope this isn't a recent repeat (and apologies if it is). Also, this is our first real injury, so forgive me if I'm asking things you think I should know - we're just learning as we go here! :)

We had a dog attack our flock last weekend, 5 days ago now. Two dead and one injured. As far as I can tell our injured girl just has one large hole in her back and one tooth puncture, both only skin deep. All feathers in the area were ripped out too, so it's pretty easy to see the injury and while it was traumatic it looked pretty clean and clear at the time. I've been treating the injuries 3x daily with antiseptic spray (we can't get Vetericyn here, but I was told this stuff was for the same purpose). I see no obvious signs of infection still.

She's been recouping in our living room, eating a bit of feed, worms, occasional fruit & veg, eggs, and as of two days ago I started making a wet mash from a mix of her layer feed and some starter feed I had. She's eating, but not tons, and it seems like her water intake maybe decreased over the past two days so that's why I started with the wet mash, to encourage her to take in as much water as possible. I'm also using a dropper to drop water over & into her beak and she'll tolerate that a few times a day but not for long. We did electrolytes for the first few days but the directions said to stop after 3 days so we did. She is pooping and it's plenty moist (although I feel like she should have pooped again by now today so we're eagerly awaiting that, LOL!). She also laid two eggs (one shell-less) the day after the attack, but nothing since. Starting yesterday she stopped standing up and her balance seemed off. If I make her stand she sets a wing down to keep herself from tipping over. She did get very excited for her afternoon snack today and hobbled over to it but she was clumsy.

My questions:
1. I assume she's not laying because her body needs to recuperate. Do I need to worry that she's egg-bound also?

2. I'm very concerned that she's not trying to stand now, though her balance might be slightly better today, I'm not 100% sure. Is this typical after a traumatic injury? Or is it perhaps a sign of infection or another problem? Should I be making her stand up occasionally?

3. Should we be concerned about pain management? And what's best for her?

4. Literally anything else you can think of - we're feeling so awful for our girl, all advice & comments are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Selena

It sound like you're doing all the right things. As for her not laying or walking, I would err towards egg bound rather that recuperating. Egg binding can be caused by stress and trauma, and because you said she already laid a shell-less egg, it seems like it may be the case. Can you feel for an egg? All I can say is try not to give her treats, just her feed. You want her to have a very balanced diet while she's healing, and treats can't give her that.

Shock causes their bodies to go out of wack... I wouldn’t worry about egg binding.
She may be getting comfortable and a little spoiled with you guys; maybe put her back in the run in a secure dog crate so she can be with the flock - and limit her movements in case she has a leg / hip / joint injury. I wouldn’t force her to stand.
If you’re really scared she’s in pain, you can give her a half of a baby aspirin once a day.

It sound like you're doing all the right things. As for her not laying or walking, I would err towards egg bound rather that recuperating. Egg binding can be caused by stress and trauma, and because you said she already laid a shell-less egg, it seems like it may be the case. Can you feel for an egg? All I can say is try not to give her treats, just her feed. You want her to have a very balanced diet while she's healing, and treats can't give her that.
I can't feel an egg but I was thinking I'd give her a warm bath tonight and feel around more. I feel so inexperienced with all of this, and I know that's just the learning curve but I don't want her suffering because I'm inept!

She's loving the wet mash made with her food so we'll stick with that until she's up and about.

Thank you!

Shock causes their bodies to go out of wack... I wouldn’t worry about egg binding.
She may be getting comfortable and a little spoiled with you guys; maybe put her back in the run in a secure dog crate so she can be with the flock - and limit her movements in case she has a leg / hip / joint injury. I wouldn’t force her to stand.
If you’re really scared she’s in pain, you can give her a half of a baby aspirin once a day.
I don't suspect any leg/hip/joint injuries, she was standing just fine the first couple of days after, sometimes on one leg and no balance issues. This is just the last two days.
I might try the aspirin first thing tomorrow and see if that helps anything.
Thank you!

1. I assume she's not laying because her body needs to recuperate. Do I need to worry that she's egg-bound also?
Nope, don't worry at all. When they go through a traumatic episode, they're bodies need to recover, so she may not lay eggs for a bit. Perfectly normal as long as you aren't seeing any signs of egg binding. :)

2. I'm very concerned that she's not trying to stand now, though her balance might be slightly better today, I'm not 100% sure. Is this typical after a traumatic injury? Or is it perhaps a sign of infection or another problem? Should I be making her stand up occasionally?
I think the trauma was probably hard on her. Is also very possible she got a a sprain or inured her leg during the attack. Feel each leg, do you feel any heat, or swelling, and does she winch when you touch certain areas?
I would put her in a chicken sling for most of the day. Take her out and lay her on the ground so she can preen at night. This will keep her weight off her legs, and help any leg injuries heal.
Sprains can go unnoticed, a chicken sling will help this heal just in case, and may make her move comfortable anyway. I'll post a link at the bottom.

3. Should we be concerned about pain management? And what's best for her?
Feel free to give her half a baby aspirin dissolved in water, or crushed on top of food. Jsut remember that pain is what keeps us down when were hurt. If all the sudden she feels better, she may try to walk and stress her already stressed body. Its unlikely half a baby aspirin will kill all the pain, but just make sure she stay chill.

4. Literally anything else you can think of - we're feeling so awful for our girl, all advice & comments are appreciated!
You doing great! I do want to add in that I highly doubt she is egg bound. There would b obvious symptoms, tail down, puffed up, straining vent, etc, etc. I wouldn't worry about it unless you do start to see thesis symptoms. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

She may be getting comfortable and a little spoiled with you guys; maybe put her back in the run in a secure dog crate so she can be with the flock
Its probably good for her to see her flock, but I just want to double check, is that wound healed? Don't put her outside until that is completely healed. If you put her out with an opened wound, flies will get to it and lay eggs causing fly strike. She could also get dirt and debris in it, causing infection.
If that wound is healed, feel free to put her out, if not, I definitely wouldn't put her outside until then.

Its probably good for her to see her flock, but I just want to double check, is that wound healed? Don't put her outside until that is completely healed. If you put her out with an opened wound, flies will get to it and lay eggs causing fly strike. She could also get dirt and debris in it, causing infection.
If that wound is healed, feel free to put her out, if not, I definitely wouldn't put her outside until then.
No, we're quite a ways away from that still, she's beginning to heal but I anticipate a lot more time inside with us still. Even when she is ready to go back out, almost all her back feathers were pulled out in the attack so she won't be able to be fully with the flock unless she's healed enough to wear a saddle, and I don't want to try that until there's no risk of making her injuries worse. I have zero interest in dealing with fly strike or saddle chafing if I can help it!

I think the trauma was probably hard on her. Is also very possible she got a a sprain or inured her leg during the attack. Feel each leg, do you feel any heat, or swelling, and does she winch when you touch certain areas?
I would put her in a chicken sling for most of the day. Take her out and lay her on the ground so she can preen at night. This will keep her weight off her legs, and help any leg injuries heal.
Sprains can go unnoticed, a chicken sling will help this heal just in case, and may make her move comfortable anyway. I'll post a link at the bottom.

She was standing fine for the first 2-3 days after the attack and is only constantly laying down now, do you think that could happen with a sprain? We literally haven't had her move anywhere on her own since it happened, she's in a dog kennel and we move her in and out. She was initially moving a bit on her own, going toward food, etc. but now I have to move everything TO her. Is it possible even that she's just realized that I'm 100% willing to wait on her hand and foot? My husband thinks her comb is a bit pale sometimes too, but he said after I came home from work and spent time feeding/watering her it was brighter again. We're so new to this, I've only seen truly pale combs in broody hens.

Back
Top Bottom