Injured Hen - Questions about recovery

Thank you all so much, I’m off to find nitro-drench and save-a-chick to see if that helps. She allowed me to slather her backside with neosporin again but it’s looking pink and tender to me now. My guess is that it’s inflamed or infected and is probably the reason she’s not moving around.
I’m glad to hear she can be in the sling for the most part, we’ll do as suggested.
She did take in a bit of sugar water so I’ll keep that up through the day too.
Thank you thank you thank you!
No problem! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. ☺️
Does her wound smell? Can you get a picture? Pictures may help us determine wether its red from the Neosporin which is moistening it, or if something else if going on.
Keep up the good work!

No problem! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. ☺️
Does her wound smell? Can you get a picture? Pictures may help us determine wether its red from the Neosporin which is moistening it, or if something else if going on.
Keep up the good work!
Definitely no smell, no pus or other fluids/goo, it’s just a bit pink and maybe a bit puffy. Might even just be irritated from her bath last night, who knows. I assume that infection in chickens is a lot like humans? Warmer to the touch, puffy, red, etc? Hopefully it’s more inflammation than infection.

Definitely no smell, no pus or other fluids/goo, it’s just a bit pink and maybe a bit puffy. Might even just be irritated from her bath last night, who knows. I assume that infection in chickens is a lot like humans? Warmer to the touch, puffy, red, etc? Hopefully it’s more inflammation than infection.
Yes, its very similar. Hopefully its just inflammation, Flaxseed has anti inflammatory properties in horses and people, I wonder if its the same for chickens. You could try it. I know TSC sells a "scratch" mix of purely cranberries and flax seed, but 80% is whole flax seed. The mix is by Flock Party. I know that horses need it ground up to digest it, so that makes me wonder if chickens need it ground up or not.
You could try it, but it may just dilute the nutrients in her feed as well, since she needs those nutrients to heal. It may not be the best idea. You could feed it as a treat though, and stick to the 10% rule, that should be safe.

Back
Top Bottom