injured hen!

chickennl0ver

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2016
maine
so our chickens were attacked and only one chicken has survived. although she has a few injuries she seems to be okay. she keeps one of her eyes closed, looks as if it might be swollen. she will open it half way if you pick her up, but other than that she is keeping it closed. it also seems she has a few cuts on her head / eyes. basically just the whole head area is bloody and injured. and also she has blood on her nose area? looks like it might be stopping her from breathing as well as she could. but i dont wanna touch anything incase its a bad injury. she keeps “purring” as well, like idk how to describe the sound, it doesnt sound alarming or anything but she does keep making that sound. one more thing, every few minutes or so, her “cheeks”? if you will, they puff out super wide, idk if thats because shhe cant breathe very well? not sure, but anyways if anyone has any advice or any help really would be great! thank you so much (i also added two pictures of what she looks like right now for some context)

Attachments

• D044952A-F2AB-4175-9233-41A44136C7BC.jpeg
    D044952A-F2AB-4175-9233-41A44136C7BC.jpeg
    666 KB · Views: 7
  • 5E2F4F28-5369-4D46-B1FB-78D71F287367.jpeg
    5E2F4F28-5369-4D46-B1FB-78D71F287367.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
do you have a bird sanctuary or bird rehab - any vet that takes care of birds would do - I would immediately think of antibiotics by mouth and someone has to look in that eye and see if it's ok and scratched and put an ointment in there as well - try calling vets -

do you have a bird sanctuary or bird rehab - any vet that takes care of birds would do - I would immediately think of antibiotics by mouth and someone has to look in that eye and see if it's ok and scratched and put an ointment in there as well - try calling vets -
unfortunately i don’t think we have the financial means to contact a vet for her. plus there truly isnt anything like that in the area we live in so there would be regularly costs + traveling costs & we just cant afford that. so if you have any suggestions for home remedies? of course if theres anything we need to pick up at the store, that shouldnt be an issue, its just the hundreds of dollars for a doctor that would be out of the question. (also she is moving around / gotten some more energy & she is bocking a bit more, but still isnt too interested in drinking or eating & her eye is still closed!)

I would definitely try and get to tractor supply and get vetericyn plus eye rinse and their wound care gel - both are sprays - do you have Neosporin home - if you can have some help to hold her, see if you can gently get the lid up without rubbing on the eye ball and put saline rinse or water and but Neosporin in the eye three times a day

another good thing to keep in the house is the blukote - you could but that on a cotton ball - it comes as a spray but sprays everywhere and would get into the eyes, so you could dab it on wounds after you clean them out -

tractor supply might have terramycin eye ointment or an antibiotic powder for chickens in stock - but take care of that eye asap with either Neosporin or the terramycin eye ointment

I'm sure others with more experience will add more

Terramycin eye ointment twice daily in the affected eye. You should be able to pick that up at tractor supply. You are going to need to tube feed. You can look up tutorials on you tube. Go to a store like pets mart and get babybird formula high calorie. I use Kaytee exact. Also a syringe with a large enough tube. You want to feed 3-4cc 3-4 times a day. I like to make the formula fairly thin to start to get enough fluids to sustain. At tractor supply also get pen G or Tylon 50 with 20 gauge needles. These are antibiotic. This will help clear up any infection. Keep her in a kennel cap in a warm place in your home.

Terramycin eye ointment twice daily in the affected eye. You should be able to pick that up at tractor supply. You are going to need to tube feed. You can look up tutorials on you tube. Go to a store like pets mart and get babybird formula high calorie. I use Kaytee exact. Also a syringe with a large enough tube. You want to feed 3-4cc 3-4 times a day. I like to make the formula fairly thin to start to get enough fluids to sustain. At tractor supply also get pen G or Tylon 50 with 20 gauge needles. These are antibiotic. This will help clear up any infection. Keep her in a kennel cap in a warm place in your home.
Do Not Put Neosporen in the Eyes! Yes blue kote is great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom