Injured leg at "elbow" - how set?

Smorz

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
I have two Guinea keets, They are about a week old. One is injured at its elbow(?). Also his eyelid was probably pecked at. They eye is okay but the lid has a piece hanging that may be interfering with opening it. I cleaned it; there is no visible infection now.

First, a simple question - how will a single keet fare? I'm worried about losing the injured one.

Re: the injury. I have tried bandaging it but it makes the poor thing so lopsided it ends up on its side all the time. I found pictures of how to do a leg, but nothing that shows how to wrap when that elbow is injured.

He is still eating a bit. Drinking a bit. His little wings were vibrating so I've got him on my chest under a shirt. That has calmed him. The other one is not so calm now.

I'm at a loss for what to do for him. I don't have him separated because I thought the two together would be a better heat source, company, etc.

Any help???

is there anyway you can post a picture of it? it may be a slipped tendon in which case there is very little that can be done long term.

Hi Jaxchick. Thanks for the response.

At this point I don't want to unwrap his leg. I can try to get a pic next time I unwrap. It's just right at that joint, nothing protruding, but swollen, and he is not been putting much weight on it at all.

If a slipped tendon, what do you mean nothingness long term? It won't get better?

there is a tendon that fits through a groove in the joint. that joint is called the hock, btw. if the tendon slides out of that groove, then it is nearly impossible to repair. here is a website with some good reading material, scroll down to slipped achelies tendon in hock joint. i wish i could help you more, it is hard without seeing it. if it is just sore or swollen and the tendon is where it is supposed to be that would be a good thing.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Back
Top Bottom