Injured leg - not sure what to do

NS2A

Songster
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
Minnesota
One of my bantams has her left leg injured. She's about 6 weeks old and favors it, but occasionally will (lightly) put her weight on it. She will also sometimes curl her toes and walk on the "ankle" part of her leg.

She's eating and drinking, and seems to mostly lay down and rest, although she will occasionally get up and go search for scratch or bugs. I just noticed this last night, but didn't try to pick her up for fear of hurting her. The chickens have been a bit spooked lately, so I just thought I'd observe her.

I did a search and someone recommebded 1 aspirin in 1 gallon of water. Can I just put it in the communal water and will the others be ok? Or do I have to seperate her?

Also, I know I'm not giving much information since I haven't observed closely the injury, does this sound bad? I'm just thinking back to what happened to bird with broken legs on grandma's farm...
hmm.png

She will be OK. A few years ago I accidentally slammed the door on one of my pullets foot. She couldn't walk for few days but she healed up in about 2 weeks and was fine. Just make sure she keeps eating and drinking.

Not sure if it is the same but one of my girls favored a leg - I tried to pick her up but was afraid to chase her - I decided to wait until they calmed down during the roosting hours. Couldn't find anything visible. Observed them the next few day and could see any limping anymore? Maybe something
on pad then it falls off by itself???? Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom