injured or sick or... oh no could it be Marek's???

Northie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
little farm, Saskatchewan
I have a 6 week old chick who isn't doing very well tonight...

It's weak and wobbly can't seem to walk properly and lays with one leg sticking out. I moved the birds legs around and they don't seem broken or dislocated, I couldn't find and swelling or abnormal heat that would suggest injury... It Was breathing with their beak open while I handled him(?) not sure if that's due to pain stress or... illness....

They've never been outside they're living in our garage, however the straw they're on has been stored outside in a barn. They haven't been vaccinated since I bought them from a breeder who doesn't vaccinate chicks under 8 weeks.

I have them on chick starter and plain water. at first this one wasn't too interested in food tonight but after some coaxing is now eating, but hasn't taken any water that I've seen. I'll try some moist food to see if I can get some fluids in them that way maybe yogurt?

I found this one like this tonight laying where they usually sleep in a bunch, could this one have been squished? There is also a lid that they have been occasionally crashing into. One side is soft screen and the other is wood. They've been crashing around in there a lot more and it's certainly time to upgrade to a real coop instead of the brooder but the weather has not been cooperating. They also knocker over their food and water today... Ugh... I have no idea what to think. There is only one acting off so I really hope this isn't a scary disease that's going to cost us our little flock... We've just barely started as chicken keepers :(
As I've taken the time to type this he seems to be walking a bit better... Do you think he just cracked his head on the lid?

No one seems to have any answers, and this one doesn't seem to be getting any better...darn. Is 6 weeks too young or just right to have Marek's show up? I've been reading about that disease and I'm worried that our chicken keeping days are numbered. How could they have gotten Marek's inside the house/garage.... I'm also adding vitamins hoping that maybe it's just a deficiency and I'm considering culling the sick bird. None of the other birds are showing any symptoms and seem bright and healthy. If it is Marek's will they start to show signs soon too?

Back
Top Bottom