Injured rooster

mitch1114

Songster
Jul 10, 2018
We have a buff orpington rooster, about 10 months old. He got into a fight, actually I think he was attacked, by another one of our roosters. He got a couple scratches on his back, which became infected, so we are treating that with antibiotics. He was limping when it first happened, now it seems like he can't put any weight on that leg. It is a bit swollen and slightly warm near where the leg bends. The injuries happened about two weeks ago. We isolated him right away. At first in another area of the coop, now he's in a tote in the basement. We tried splinting the leg 2 days ago. He also keeps curling his toes. Do I need to be concerned about him curling his toes? Anything else we can do for him? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really want this guy to survive.

The shock might have brought on wry neck, what is his diet?
His diet is chicken feed, sometimes treat mix. I have been crushing up garlic to put on top of his food once or twice a day, and sometimes I will add oregano, rosemary and thyme.
What is wry neck? I've never heard of that.

His diet is chicken feed, sometimes treat mix. I have been crushing up garlic to put on top of his food once or twice a day, and sometimes I will add oregano, rosemary and thyme.
What is wry neck? I've never heard of that.
I'm sorry, brand and type of feed? raw Garlic is caustic and can cause esophagus issues.
What antibiotics are you using and what dose?
Wry neck is a common issue, it's a vitamin deficiency, give him 400 i.u vitamin e capsule and 1/3 b complex tablet. it could also be a neurological injury from the fight, this will help him heal.

We have a buff orpington rooster, about 10 months old. He got into a fight, actually I think he was attacked, by another one of our roosters. He got a couple scratches on his back, which became infected, so we are treating that with antibiotics. He was limping when it first happened, now it seems like he can't put any weight on that leg. It is a bit swollen and slightly warm near where the leg bends. The injuries happened about two weeks ago. We isolated him right away. At first in another area of the coop, now he's in a tote in the basement. We tried splinting the leg 2 days ago. He also keeps curling his toes. Do I need to be concerned about him curling his toes? Anything else we can do for him? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really want this guy to survive.
Can you please post photos of his wounds and his leg?
How he stands would be good too.

What antibiotic are you using? For wounds that get infected, you may need to cut or trim feathers away from the wound so you can see it better, it's also easier to keep clean.
Seeing it will help, but generally you'll want to swab the wound out with something like Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Betadine (Povidone Iodine). Clean and swab well. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.
Antibiotics are helpful for infection, but wounds still need to be cleaned and tended to daily.

Curling of the toes may indicate some nerve damage if the wounds are on his back. But you also mention swelling of the leg, so it could just be reaction to swelling. Hard to know.
I'd go ahead and get some vitamins into him. If he's a full grown rooster, then I'd give him 1/2 tablet of B-Complex daily. See that he's eating and drinking well.

You can find B-Complex in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.

The vitamin E as suggested won't hurt anything. Wry Neck is a neurological symptom that causes a bird to have a twisted neck, they may have tremors of the head/neck etc. Trauma to the head or neck can cause the symptoms.
Vitamin E is a good supportive vitamin to help with nerve damage, so it may also help with his leg issue.

Back
Top Bottom