injured rooster

chickenlovingbadger

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2021
Hi, my sussex speckled rooster successfully defended the flock against a large raptor yesterday (my sons saw the bird when they got home and think it was either a gyrfalcon or groshawk), however he appears to have been blinded and maybe other injuries that I haven't found yet. He sits up when I turn on the light and talk to him, he seems to have been able to drink water. I currently have him in a box in the garage by himself and he is quiet. He hasn't eaten and is ignoring his favorite dandelion greens. Has anyone had success rehabbing a rooster in this condition? any suggestions are appreciated.
Rachel

Have you treated his eye injuries with saline? Have you treated him for shock? Anytime one of our chickens has so much as a peripheral encounter with a predator, the chicken should be treated for shock. One cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in plus a pinch of salt and baking soda.

You can find recipes online for making your own saline eye wash. Flush eyes thoroughly, then use an antibacterial or antibiortic eye ointment to prevent infection. Those falcon talons are filthy with bacteria. Terramycin can be bought at most feed stores.

Have you treated his eye injuries with saline? Have you treated him for shock? Anytime one of our chickens has so much as a peripheral encounter with a predator, the chicken should be treated for shock. One cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in plus a pinch of salt and baking soda.

You can find recipes online for making your own saline eye wash. Flush eyes thoroughly, then use an antibacterial or antibiortic eye ointment to prevent infection. Those falcon talons are filthy with bacteria. Terramycin can be bought at most feed stores.
thank you, yes, I did already treat him for shock with an electrolyte mixture, I will get some of the eye ointment, that's a good idea.

As long as he's lethargic, continue to treat his shock. Also, when a rooster is experiencing pain, he will be very withdrawn.

Treat his pain, injured eyes are extremely painful, with 81 grain chewable aspirin - one tablet twice a day. It may make a lot of difference in his behavior to get the pain under control.

Back
Top Bottom