Injury/Wound advice please! This one is strange...

SonnyGirl

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Pine Bush, NY
Hello! So I had my 3 poults (about 6 weeks) out playing today and the one starts hopping around acting freaked out.. we were under a pine tree, dust bathing as usual and foraging in the grass. Nothing out of the ordinary. He was acting like he stepped on something or almost like he was afraid of his own feet following him around!! So I picked him up and checked out his feet and legs - nothing. I inspected REALLY thorough and could see nothing.. ran my hands up and down, brushed off any pieces of dirt, etc. So I took the other ones into their coop and brought him to the kitchen sink! I rinsed his legs off real good and rubbed them down.. still didn't help! I checked for any abnormal look to tendons/bones.. made sure his joints were all working and he didn't have anything out of place/sensitive. I scrubbed with soap and water, palpated everywhere.. nothing. Inside his coop, he kept hopping around acting freaked out by his own feet.. and then he started randomly pecking his legs and feet, particularly one leg but in different spots. I go away for ten minutes, come back, and he's pecked a bloody wound into his foot. I rinsed it real good and turned off their light so it was dim, hoping to stop him from further pecking. I had to leave again and when I came back the wound was worse. But he's still acting the same strange way!! Like he's afraid of his own feet. I've rinsed the wound a bunch and checked and rechecked for any splinters, glass, etc - but I can see every detail of his legs so clearly and I could swear there's nothing in there! My brother thought maybe he got stung/bit by something.. so I tried distracting him but even when he's standing and eating, he's periodically hopping and looking scared. I tried having him take a nap under a dark blanket, thinking he'd forget when he woke up. He slept for 20 min and did not forget or feel better. Any ideas on what this is or what I can do to figure it out?? No limp or awkward gait.. just ocassionally hopping like there's something in there. If noone has any ideas - is there a safe way to get him from pecking his own foot off?? Thanks for any help!

OK... I'm starting to get REALLY worried. I have giant adjoined cages set up and the poults are still staying in the house at night. I also have a spare room that I let them hang out/fly around in when the weather is nasty and at night. I have them inside "their room" and I notice this poult is being more needy than usual, calling when I walk away, and running up to me way more than normal. This was my most independent poult - so for him to be running up to me every time I walk in the room - it's odd. Also, when I'm gone, he is flying up on a shelf and staying there like he doesn't want to walk around at all or move. Even when I bring fresh food and the other poults are chomping down - which for any turkey is really bizarre. So I took him down and put him by the food. He is still looking at his legs/feet often and walking occassionally like he's stepping on coals - but I'm starting to feel like it might be some sort of ataxia. I saw him shaking his head a few times which is odd for him (unless he has something on his beak, which he didn't) and he would approach the food dish, then circle a couple of times acting all weirded out and "hoppy" still.. then he stopped and it was like he was getting his bearings.. took a quick bite of food, then started circling again. I haven't seen him drink ever since this happened either. His eyes look good, alert.. he doesn't LOOK sick,.. but now I realize when he's on the ground he's sort of circling like he's disoriented and taking a few steps backwards a lot.. and when he flys to his shelf, he starts backing up and has almost fallen off several times (I caught him).. and he looks down at his legs/feet. Then he perches on the shelf like he knows he needs to sit down before he hurts himself :( Im so worried. I brought him up to the water dish and after a while of holding him steady, he relaxed and drank.

Back
Top Bottom