Input on homemade incubator PLEEEASE

I thought there was some fate written that I would not be allowed to hatch eggs until I built my first cabinet. I think my son is who is not 14, was damaged by waiting for chicks that never hatched! I honestly can't recall EVER in my life (and I've been at this since I was a kid) hatching any eggs from an LG. And eratic temperature has always been the culprit. I know our Co-Op sells replacement control boards for them for about $20. But I don't know if the newer ones are any more reliable.

One thing I have been thinking about, and haven't seen any other BYC'ers do, is to turn the control board over.

If you look at the circuit board, and where it is located, the temperature sensor is within a plastic cover, and is against the styro foam, so it doesn't react to the changes in temperature, until it has fluctuated extremely throughout the whole incubator.

I haven't tried it yet, and might do it, and cover the circuit board with hardware cloth to protect the chicks from being shocked.

Maybe the LG thermostat does work, but the Little Giant Incubator design is flawed. I would like to report this to them somehow. Most of the people I have talked to that I personally know that have used an LG have sold it, given it away, or threw it away.

I think that my LG thermostat is broken anyway, as it doesn't shut off the heating element. So If I get a new LG thermostat, I will try to modify it by turning it over.

or maybe rewire it and nix that one for a HWH thermostat??? use the modification somewhere above and try that? if you do let me know im currious!

Had to scratch sink, my dad called and needed it badly ;(
Ive built a 3/4 inch plywood box, and it is on!!! heating up and watching temps a few days
I don't know that I "insulated" or built a huge heat sink but either way the inside is covered with ceramic tile and Hardie Plank. 2 25w bulbs w/ fan and modified HWH thermostat. I had 15 w bulbs all night and it got up to 90 degrees so I just put 2 25's and we will see what happens :) Im excited and want to just get some eggs in there!!! I will be patient!

or maybe rewire it and nix that one for a HWH thermostat??? use the modification somewhere above and try that? if you do let me know im currious!

I doubt a Water heater thermostat would work. They work with heating elements that get really hot, but I doubt it would work with a Little Giant heating element. The heating element to an LG doesn't get as hot as fast as a light bulb does. I have seen where people have wired a water heater thermostat to the LG with the LG thermostat in it as well, using the water heater thermostat as a back up.

Back
Top Bottom