Insulating coop in a cold winter area. Yea or Nay?

Badger Farm

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
NW Wisconsin
We live in NW Wisconsin, where we had over 70” of snow this winter (it’s still there, btw). With winter temps dropping to -30F air temp, we’re considering insulating our coop. The insulation would, of course, be covered with wood sheeting. Anyone have experience with this? Looking for advice and what worked/what didn’t to keep your birds safe and warm in the winter. Thanks!!

We live in NW Wisconsin, where we had over 70” of snow this winter (it’s still there, btw). With winter temps dropping to -30F air temp, we’re considering insulating our coop. The insulation would, of course, be covered with wood sheeting. Anyone have experience with this? Looking for advice and what worked/what didn’t to keep your birds safe and warm in the winter. Thanks!!
Some pictures of your coop would help people suggest possible insulation solutions.

Some pictures of your coop would help people suggest possible insulation solutions.
We haven’t built it yet, but we’re going to build the Third Coast Craft coop and run

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 7.04.31 AM.png.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 7.04.31 AM.png.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
If you use the deep straw method for the flooring, it gives the chickens a place to emerge themselves. I wouldn't insulate too much. Moisture builds up in the coop which is not good for breathing or getting frostbite on the combs. If you didn't get your chickens yet, there's still time to pick breeds with small combs.

If you use the deep straw method for the flooring, it gives the chickens a place to emerge themselves. I wouldn't insulate too much. Moisture builds up in the coop which is not good for breathing or getting frostbite on the combs. If you didn't get your chickens yet, there's still time to pick breeds with small combs.
Not planning on using deep straw - going with sand. Our chicks start to arrive next week, most are small combs. Thank you for your advice!

We haven’t built it yet, but we’re going to build the Third Coast Craft coop and run
I would suggest a larger walk in coop, with large roof overhangs and soffit venting.
Insulation does next to nothing with good ventilation(which is essential).
It also can be a perfect place for mice and rats to live.
Might visit some state threads like:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=245700
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72771&p=1

....and check out this excellent article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Anyone have experience with this? Looking for advice and what worked/what didn’t to keep your birds safe and warm in the winter. Thanks!!
I have no experience with chickens in those temperatures but the guy that wrote this article does.

Cold Weather Poultry Housing and Care | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

I've seen the difference a well insulated building makes in cold weather, even with good ventilation. But those have been on the ground, not elevated like that. The ground can act like a thermal mass and provide heat in cold snaps. That's a different dynamic than your elevated building.

The way I read his article, once the temperature gets below -20 F you need to take precautions. You might get something out of that article.

Back
Top Bottom