Integrating new birds

melissathib

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
DeRidder, Louisiana
I have 6 young birds, 5 hens and 1 rooster, between the ages of 9 and 13 weeks, and another group of 8 hens and 1 rooster between 10 and 14 months. The older rooster is 10 months and really sweet natured. The younger rooster has started his horrific attempts at crowing and the oldest of the little hens is starting to cluck. The others are still mostly peeping.

Currently, they are sharing a coop. We have a plastic mesh wall to separate them, with a smaller roost for the little ones and a ramp at the "people"door so they can come and go. The bigger ones have access to 3 of the 5 nest boxes. In the run, we have partitioned off an 8x8 area for the little ones outside their door and the big ones have access to the rest of the 25x32 run area. They see each other and "visit" at the fence, etc.

So here's the question: when should I start to integrate them into one area? I've heard to wait until they are no longer peeping, but should I integrate them as they stop, or wait and integrate all 6 at once? Also, they are obviously still on chick starter. Should I wait until they are all on layer feed?

Well, that's what's going through my mind. Appreciate any advice!

Back
Top Bottom