Integrating new chicks

luckycluk

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2014
Salisbury/Faith
My first set of chicks are 7 weeks old . I have weaned them of the heat light or any heat source for a week now. The temp in my house is 67f so that is the temp they are used to now. The temp outside is around 70f in the day and around 48-53 at night. I have sectioned off my covered run and placed one of the prefabed tractor coops in it and the area I put it in still has room for them to run around and my two, 3 yr old hens can see them and come up to them. I used the half inch mesh fencing so the can see but not peck. My questions are, do you think they will be warm enough at night and do you think leaving them like that for a week is long enough for the hens to get used to them? There are 7 pullets, and 1 cockerel versus the 2 hens.
I have 6 more EE’r chicks that are 2 1/2 weeks old. I would like to get them out to where the 7 week old ones are after I turn them loose with the two hens. Am I going about this right? I’ve never raised chicks or tried to intergrate any together.
One more question it is supposed to rain this weekend, where the mini coop is will be in a dry area but will the dampness bother them. Im sorry for all the questions and I really do appreciate all your help n experience. Im open to any suggestions/ corrections from anyone.

My first set of chicks are 7 weeks old . I have weaned them of the heat light or any heat source for a week now. The temp in my house is 67f so that is the temp they are used to now. The temp outside is around 70f in the day and around 48-53 at night. I have sectioned off my covered run and placed one of the prefabed tractor coops in it and the area I put it in still has room for them to run around and my two, 3 yr old hens can see them and come up to them. I used the half inch mesh fencing so the can see but not peck. My questions are, do you think they will be warm enough at night and do you think leaving them like that for a week is long enough for the hens to get used to them? There are 7 pullets, and 1 cockerel versus the 2 hens.
I have 6 more EE’r chicks that are 2 1/2 weeks old. I would like to get them out to where the 7 week old ones are after I turn them loose with the two hens. Am I going about this right? I’ve never raised chicks or tried to intergrate any together.
One more question it is supposed to rain this weekend, where the mini coop is will be in a dry area but will the dampness bother them. Im sorry for all the questions and I really do appreciate all your help n experience. Im open to any suggestions/ corrections from anyone.
I think if they have a heat source and are safe at night, they should be fine! It might take more than a week for the hens to get used to them so you might have to set up another place for them to see each other but be separate....Hope that helps!

As long as the 7 wk olds have a safe place to sleep that's draft free (i.e. the coop section of your tractor, I assume there's one?) they should be fine. My chicks are exposed to rain from an early age so they learn to take shelter if it's too rainy, but you may need to check on yours to make sure they know how to do so if needed. Make sure they know how to get in and out of the coop section in case they're ever chilled, or it's rainy or windy, etc.

For integration, is a week long enough... maybe, maybe not. Depends on how your existing hens take to the chicks. It may not be a one-and-done process. Or your hens might be super accommodating and not have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom