Integrating younger chicks into the flock

JShipes

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2021
I have 4 brahmas (1 roo, 3 pullets about 17-18 weeks old) and 6 chicks (4 SLW and 2 barred rocks) about 9 weeks old. The chicks are in a dog kennel in the coop with the bigger kids. I let the littles have free range of the coop when the big kids are in the yard. I also have an area for them to play outside. When they're outside, my big kids like to watch them and will sometimes stay very close to where they are and circle around the area the babies are in. 2 of the pullets are scared of the baby roo, who puffed up his chest and chased them. The other pullet is my alpha and has tried to peck them; my brahma cockerel has tried to peck the little roo. Anyways, when can I try to integrate them? My brahmas are massive in size compared to the little ones. I know I need to wait until the littles are bigger, preferably closer to the same size, but will they get as big as brahmas? I don't intend to let them out together any time soon. One of the babies got out of the coop yesterday and my alpha pullet chased her down.

You're halfway there toward integrating these two groups. Just having them in proximity has helped them all become familiar with one another. Next, you need to allow them to mingle, but provide escape routes for the smaller ones. A complex run with lots of "stuff" can provide places to hop onto or run behind to get away from an older chicken wanting to bully a chick.

Does the dog kennel have a floor that can be removed and the sides raised up on bricks or scrap wood so the chicks can crawl underneath the sides to go in and out of the kennel? This method can provide a safe haven for the chicks to retreat to when they get bullied, and if the kennel is adjusted up or down on these supports so the larger chickens can't fit underneath to get into the kennel after the chicks, the chicks have their own safe refuge. Food and water placed inside will permit the chicks to eat and drink in peace and safety.

I have 4 brahmas (1 roo, 3 pullets about 17-18 weeks old) and 6 chicks (4 SLW and 2 barred rocks) about 9 weeks old.
Both groups are still immature. I think it helps when you have one group that are actually mature adults, But that does not mean you are doomed to failure. In late summer I often have a group of mature chickens and 3 or maybe even 4 groups of immature chickens of various ages roaming together. You can do it.

Anyways, when can I try to integrate them? My brahmas are massive in size compared to the little ones. I know I need to wait until the littles are bigger, preferably closer to the same size, but will they get as big as brahmas? I don't intend to let them out together any time soon. One of the babies got out of the coop yesterday and my alpha pullet chased her down.
Those breeds should never get to the size of the Brahma's. I personally don't put any faith in the size thing anyway, I think it is much more about personalities. There are plenty of people on this forum that have both bantams and full sized fowl in the same flock and the dominant chicken is a bantam. Maturity levels matter too. Until they all mature the more mature are higher in the pecking order.

One way that chickens have learned to live peacefully together is that when there is conflict the loser runs away and then stay away. There are always exceptions, some chickens are brutes and bullies, but if the loser can run away, get away, and avoid the stronger they can be really peaceful. What do your facilities look like? How big in feet or meters are your coop? Your run? That kennel? Photos can really help us understand how they are tied together. It's a lot easier for them to run away, get away, and avoid if they have room. Knowing your climate and what kind of weather you can expect in the next few weeks could help us too. It's easier for me to give specific suggestions if we know what you are dealing with.

It's not just the size of the room they have, the quality of room can make a difference. A cluttered coop and run provide a higher quality of room than bare spaces. By clutter I mean things that block the line of sight and give them things to hide under, behind, or over. Another important factor is when that room is available. It doesn't matter how big your run is if they are all locked in the coop together so the run is not available.

This may sound impossible, it's not. People do it all the time. There are techniques that can make up for a lack of space, like that safe haven concept, clutter, multiple feeding and watering station, separate sleeping areas, etc. The more we know about your specific situation the more likely we can come up with specific suggestions that actually match your conditions. Good luck!

I am more about less people controlling the situation, and letting birds control the situation. As stated above, a one way gate, will have them accepted into the flock, within a week.

When you see a chick eating next to a pullet, it is over.

The big thing is space and escapes that are accessible on all sides, so that chick can't be trapped away from an escape. The above post by 3 killer b is excellent. I have also just put a pallet in the center of the run, up on cement blocks, attaching one side to the dog crate you have.

This lets the chicks come out and retreat to safety. They learn proper manners from the older birds, they learn who they need to move away from, and give more space too. And they work it out on their terms, not mine. I do not have the patience that your set up requires, and I did watch how a broody hen did it.

A broody hen is an escape. When she brings out her chicks, she generally positions herself so that she is between the flock and the chicks. The chicks soon learn who is to be avoided, and who is safe. They retreat to the broody hen. So I gave them a retreat and put mine in with the flock at about 3-4 weeks.

Works much better, and is much faster. However, your way will work. And to be honest, I think that they are probably much more adjusted than you are giving them credit for. As in, if you put them together now, I am pretty sure they would be fine. Sometimes there are one of two older birds that are mean, if so, put them in the crate that you had the chicks in, wait a week and let out one of the old biddies, and then a couple of days later, let them all out.

The big issue is space, and how you have it set up, do you have clutter in the run? I have a lot of clutter, and a lot of feed bowls.

Mrs K

When you see a chick eating next to a pullet, it is over.

I forget who it was who advised me to feed treats on both sides of the fence of the see-don't-touch space -- maybe you?

But I think that made a lot of difference.

Also, I have enough feeder space that at least 3/4 of my birds can eat at the same time, which I think helps. As @U_Stormcrow has said many times "Abundance is a social lubricant".

I forget who it was who advised me to feed treats on both sides of the fence of the see-don't-touch space -- maybe you?

But I think that made a lot of difference.

Also, I have enough feeder space that at least 3/4 of my birds can eat at the same time, which I think helps. As @U_Stormcrow has said many times "Abundance is a social lubricant".
Thank you for mentioning. Yes it was me. Trick I saw on one of those dog or cat behavior shows. So I can't claim credit, it just seemed to make a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom