Integration: the struggle is real!

GambaDawn

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
Central California
Hi fellow chicken lovers! Over the past 7-8 months some of you here have been full of great advice, entertaining ideas and helpful tips. Thank you all for your experience and knowledge. Hopefully some of you will have the patience for this lengthy, what I hope to be, discussion. I need help please with bullies and integration. Sorry in advance, this is long!
So, I have read many articles, links, and discussions on integration here, that I thought I gad a game plan, but after six weeks or more, I still have quite a problem with my girls and am at my feathered end.
Info first: Currently, 1 barred rock (Sybil), 1 RIR (Mother Clucker), 2 BSL ( Eggna & Buttercup) all now 33 weeks and laying regularly. Then I have, 2 buff Orps (Thelma &Louise) almost 23 weeks and 1 RIR (Reba) and one EE (Frizzle) 18 weeks. The Orps just started laying last week! Yay! So a total of 8 girls.

We want 10 and a roo. So, I got 4 more (above 23 w and 18 w now). Originally I had them in a divided brooder, pics below, which is plenty big, (4x8) as we took advice from here and built one and have it up on a table In the garage. They were so cute 🥰 as the little ones would fly over the poultry netting that I was using as a divider, to get to the Orps. It scared me at first as there was a six week difference, but the Orps mothered them, even at their young age, and were very loving to the little ones. So out came the PN and they stayed in the brooder until the littles were 7weeks, then they all went out into an adjoining run next to the big girls.
I read here that it might be a good idea to have them within sight of the older girls but not able to touch, to make integration easier. We then added two little port doors for the littles to escape into their own pen, so when I was brave enough, to let them mingle a bit. (We now know those are too large and in future will make teeny tiny ones lol).
So one side of our set up has an 8 h x 8L x 5 W run with a 5 x 5 x 5 coop attached, as well as the space below the coop accessible for them also. The adjoining run is same size, but no coop attached. There is a large dog house inside for the babies to sleep in and roost.
There is food and water on both sides of course. We will be building a new walk in coop over the next few weeks that will be 6 x 10.
In the meantime, I have have had quite a struggle with my older girls getting along. I have gotten so much help here with that, but still it is an issue. Originally I thought my main problem was my mean Roo, he was the same age as my girls, and just didn’t know how to treat his girls. While he was protective, he was huge, and was too rough with them. He liked my RIR Mother Clucker the most, but she was soon missing a huge patch of feathers at her tail and was also picked on by my BSL’s, and was getting pretty beat up. Once I re-homed him I had hoped that all would stop, but it did not.
We went rounds with one of the BSL being the aggressor towards Sybil and Mother, and I thought things would calm down once they reestablished their pecking order. Two weeks later, Sybil was cowering in the corners of the run constantly and Mother was practically bald (and it’s cold out there). I took BSL Buttercup and put her in timeout in the brooder. Out of sight and sound, as suggested on here. She stayed in the brooder for two weeks. She is now less aggressive and things seemed to be better until I noticed one day, that Mother has her wings actually snipped off! Poor thing is still getting beat up by someone! I can’t tell who At this point. I took Mother out for a few days, put cortisone on her bald spots, vitamins in her water, and she seems to be faring well despite all of the beating.
So as I researched and read here, I decided to try letting them mingle a little at a time, and over the last month (yes, month!), I have almost every day, allowed more time. They had full days, but not nights for a week, all last week.

So Sunday, the littles were 17 weeks and could eat layer feed Nutrena 16% Nature Wise layer pellet) and I do supplement with a separate dish of oyster shell), so I decided that it was time to Go for it! I opened the door between the runs and let them fight it out all day, (checking on them constantly Lol), and hoped by night, the new girls would follow the older ones into the coop. Nope. The big girls went to the coop, the littles went to the dog house. My hubby said, we had to take out the dog house, and force the issue, but I couldn’t yet, just in case things went bad, I wanted there to be a place for my littles. So this whole time, Frizzle my EE, she has not even tried to mingle. She is so scared of the big girls, that she first thing flys up on the high roost in the run and stays away from them. So much so at first I was worried she wasnt eating or drinking that first week at all! She will fly up onto my shoulder or back when I enter the run too, like, MOM PROTECT ME! But I just kept an eye on them throughout the days and let them go into their respective coops at night, until last night. In the afternoon yesterday I put the big girls on the side with the dog house, and the littles on the coop side. I was just hoping on the outside chance, if the sun went down, the littles would naturally go into the coop. So I go out there just after sundown and theres An Orp resting on the ramp to enter the coop, one on the ground, my Reba huddled in a corner and Frizzle roosting on a log we have in there. None went in. We’ve checked for mites, it’s clean and dry and there are two roosts, so plenty of sleeping spots. (Although the roosts are close together and in our new coop we are planning, that will be fixed), but we had a huge rooster and 5 girls before and there was plenty of room.
So I try to encourage them into the coop, and they just run out. Then I figure, maybe let the big girls in (I’m out there in the dark, with a lantern lighting the coop so they can see), and they will run into the coop and then the littles will go?! I open the door between the runs, and the older girls were stressing wanting their coop, so they ran right in! Two went in, and one of my Orps followed, but just stayed in the doorway, so I put the other Orp up there, and then they are both blocking the doorway, not going the rest of the way in. Both older girls are already roosting, and Sybil (an older) is trying to fly over the Orps to get in lol, and squishes in somehow. Meanwhile Frizzle has flown onto my back and Reba will have nothing to do with any of it. (chicken confusion everywhere!). I reached in and put the Orps each up on the lower roost, and they stay. Then I stick Reba in and Sybil pecks at her some so she tries to get out. I’m also trying to get Frizzle off my back lol. I finally get Reba and Frizzle in, and have my hubby lower the door to the coop. My two youngest littles are now crying, and I’m about to die of stress. Holy cow, why is this so hard!?!?!
My hubby is watching them and giving them a little light from the coop window, and of course I can’t help myself and go around, open the egg door to look in, and here comes Frizzle with Reba close behind, running toward me, trying to get away from it all. I calmed her down, she is actually panting, so I am worried for her and her stress level, and shut them in. I figured it best to move away so all was dark and they would have no choice but settle down. Those Two, I am sure, roosted on the edge of the egg boxes last night, furthest from the older girls on the main roosts, and they cried a bit, but it wasn’t long before things quieted down.

So, somehow we got through one night, but in no way do I want a repeat of that shit-show tonight! I know I may have to encourage the youngsters for a couple nights, but is there anything, any-thing at all, that would help make this process easier, and less stressful for all? I was a bit worried they would wake early and harm the two littles this morning, but my hubby opens it all up just before sunrise because of his work schedule, so that was good, and they are back to pecking at the Orps feet, chasing Reba, and Frizzle avoiding all of the orders, at any cost.
My hubby says, just let it happen, so I have been trying, but seeing how one of the older ones has clipped another’s (Mother Cluckers) wings off, I am determined that happens to no one else! I see pecking on the littles from all the others, so it’s difficult to guess which is the worst. My Orps spends so much of the day hiding behind the waterers, in the corner of the run. I just tried my best to help them with a smooth transition and it’s been anything but.
So any suggestions would be appreciated. I also wonder if I should give up with the two youngest for now and try again once we build our new walk in coop we have planned. Ugh

Attachments

• A27FFF44-B156-42D2-B7CB-2F465DEF2836.jpeg
    A27FFF44-B156-42D2-B7CB-2F465DEF2836.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 467897D2-3709-4225-AE8F-30113F5ADFA3.jpeg
    467897D2-3709-4225-AE8F-30113F5ADFA3.jpeg
    814.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 332F0669-E3FB-47F2-B9B6-E874A6503F92.jpeg
    332F0669-E3FB-47F2-B9B6-E874A6503F92.jpeg
    950.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 281F176F-043A-4FD9-AFAA-4BCD330C38A8.jpeg
    281F176F-043A-4FD9-AFAA-4BCD330C38A8.jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 39CA0912-3201-4F64-B203-A21508AEB23B.jpeg
    39CA0912-3201-4F64-B203-A21508AEB23B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 2880ED71-2913-40FF-A4F8-B16373B244A2.jpeg
    2880ED71-2913-40FF-A4F8-B16373B244A2.jpeg
    680.3 KB · Views: 6
  • E99CA053-BF52-4C1A-94CE-5EAD2F9322A9.jpeg
    E99CA053-BF52-4C1A-94CE-5EAD2F9322A9.jpeg
    1,005 KB · Views: 6
  • DA686445-89A0-4AEC-84A9-C1872DD4B495.jpeg
    DA686445-89A0-4AEC-84A9-C1872DD4B495.jpeg
    813.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BD93F981-AC7A-4176-BE26-E5AABE449C1E.jpeg
    BD93F981-AC7A-4176-BE26-E5AABE449C1E.jpeg
    914.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7C3B408E-FBA1-4B93-9D46-374C260A511A.jpeg
    7C3B408E-FBA1-4B93-9D46-374C260A511A.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 75E296E2-5EF5-41CE-981F-25BCF49FA266.jpeg
    75E296E2-5EF5-41CE-981F-25BCF49FA266.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 6
  • A90C4653-966C-48B3-836E-115BD9CB814D.jpeg
    A90C4653-966C-48B3-836E-115BD9CB814D.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 7BF9174C-FC47-42EC-AD47-F134BDE5EB94.jpeg
    7BF9174C-FC47-42EC-AD47-F134BDE5EB94.jpeg
    570.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BEC62D00-E094-449A-A1F6-B2088BC9C924.jpeg
    BEC62D00-E094-449A-A1F6-B2088BC9C924.jpeg
    889.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 9ECB5E15-2BC6-457E-8D2D-218B485E85AF.jpeg
    9ECB5E15-2BC6-457E-8D2D-218B485E85AF.jpeg
    983.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 81112587-B681-45C8-A74E-0414F5824888.jpeg
    81112587-B681-45C8-A74E-0414F5824888.jpeg
    921.3 KB · Views: 8
  • D41DA295-2288-4903-B3D8-C2673612D608.jpeg
    D41DA295-2288-4903-B3D8-C2673612D608.jpeg
    800.2 KB · Views: 7
  • FA649170-6569-4E9D-81E3-BAE6328B1793.jpeg
    FA649170-6569-4E9D-81E3-BAE6328B1793.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Might want to try this: set up a temporary run space outside for both groups of birds to use, big as you can manage. Stakes with some snow fencing, deer fencing, chicken wire, whatever you've got or can get for cheap. Because it's not predator proof you'll need to keep an eye on them, but it'll be a bit safer than having them completely free ranging. Clutter it up with whatever you have handy (like my shed has plenty of junk like old pallets, broken lawn carts, etc), then let both groups have access to it. Hopefully they will see it as neutral space - territory that belongs to neither side - and with the clutter they'll be busy exploring instead of picking at each other. I would try doing that for a good week or so, for a few hours at a time (whatever you have time for), and hopefully that will familiarize them with one another enough that when they're back in their normal enclosure, the "other birds" won't seem as foreign anymore.

As far as using the coop, don't force the younger ones to join the older ones. When they can mostly get along outside of the coop, you can start encouraging them to use the coop by shutting off access to wherever they're currently spending the night. OR... if you plan on building the new coop very very soon, you may want to hold off on trying to get them to coop together and do it at that time. Just as with the temporary run suggestion, the new coop would become neutral ground to both groups, so you're less likely to see bullying going on as the chickens will be too busy trying to figure out what's going on in this new environment.

Hello! I did read your post, every word because Im in a somewhat similar situation, except I have one old hen and 4 10 week pullets separated by a temporary partial pop-open barrier. The barrier separates the run into two portions. After 7 days of partial supervised visits, the chickens and the old hen have been freely moving around on both sides now. I keep the pop-door on the barrier open 24x7 now.

Same issue, at night the pullets go their way to the temporary cardboard box on the separated side of the run, the old hen clambers up into the coop on the other side of the run.

I have not yet figured how to get the pullets to get into the coop at night, not wanting that shit-show as you so aptly put it. I've tried putting raisins on the ramp to encourage them to get in there and inspect it, one of them did but the old hen came dashing up and the pullet scattered to the wind.

My plan this weekend is to take away the barrier completely. SO far they have adjusted fairly well to the hen, scurrying away when she approaches, she does peck on one but there are enough places to get to so its really not an issue. Other than the fact that she isn't "hanging" out with the pullets. It will take time.

Bottom line - pullets and old hen still sleeping in different areas.

How did yours do? Your post was in Jan, its March, so I'm assuming something worth telling happened? I would LOVE to know!

Well, sorry, have been working a lot lately.
I did try switching the girls around and the poor little ones would not go into the dog house coop when the bigger girl was in there, only one of the younger would go in with her.

I left the gate open between the runs and hoped that eventually i might get lucky and they would just go in. One would, then, no one for a few days, back and forth.

Finally, I took the dog house out and put the main bully in time out in the garage. Also had a long talk with them all. That night I had to help a few in. The next two nights I had to help two of the older ones in, 😂,

Now they all go in, no squabbling and the bully is still in the garage.

It also seems to help that the dog house is out and there is so. Ugh more room for them in the run! Yay!

Working on the big coop today, finally some good weather!

Last edited:
Thank you for your time and suggestions, we will see what we can rig up for an outdoor area this weekend. Neutral territory was what I was thinking for the larger coop as well. So this sounds like it may help. I’m desperate and will try anything within reason!

Well, it’s more of a want. i mean ultimately that’s what one wants right? A nice happy coop of girls! The dog house we have in there takes up so much of their run space and it’s just time. It doesn’t have a door on it either, so we have to go out there into the the run and cover it up and uncover in the mornings, so it would be nice to have them all in the regular coop.
Probably will just hope it will happen, and if not, Have them all go into the new coop together.
Thanks again!

Some ideas I have. Often times, when younger birds are introduced to older birds they are also in a strange place, even if they could see the place, it is not the same as being there.

So what I would suggest is either, let the big girls out of this set up, or switch the places, putting the big girls where the littles are, and the littles where the big girls are. This lets the littles explore the space without getting chased. Lets them find feed stations, hideouts.

And crazy as it sounds, I think that the big girls see them in there, and the sky does not fall.

Let the bigs in as late as possible. The urge to roost will be nearly as strong as the urge to fight.

Pull one or two of the wicked birds, and keep them where you have the chicks, letting chicks work it out with the remaining older birds. Even if you have to, just put one older bird with the chicks, one bird can't chase all of them! Leave them for a couple of days, making the others roost in the dog house. Put the youngsters in the coop, with just one adult bird until they go there themselves.

Then add another adult bird, and then the works.

Hideouts, and clutter are important, with multiple feed stations.

Once in a while, you will get a bird that does not fit in the set up with these birds, get rid of her. Always solve for peace in the flock. This is a flock responsibility. She will ruin the enjoyment of your flock for you and the other hens.

Mrs K

Thanks for the post. I'm now beginning the stage to get them into the coop by attracting them there when the old hen is locked out and free-ranging. I've taken out the run-separater and theres enough space that they scurry away when the old hen comes along.

Do you NEED the littles to go into the coop with the big girls now, or do you just WANT it to happen? If it's a want I would just wait & let them go back to their little coop until they're ready & everyone is getting along or until you introduce the new coop & it's new neutral territory to both sets of birds.

ETA: yea, what @rosemarythyme said, I just read her post! LOL

Back
Top Bottom