Interested in getting ducks. What is a good pet duck breed? We have a petting farm for kids.

I am in Charlotte, NC. Are you anywhere close?
welcome-byc.gif
I have to say Muscovies are an awesome breed. They are like little puppies with feathers. wag their tails and love to interact with their family.

I do really like Pekins for pets, but it does depend on how they were raised and the individual duck.

I recommend going to your local library to check out some books on ducks. They do have a little bit different needs than chickens. My personal favorite is Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, by Dave Holderread.

I also highly recommend this book. Make sure to read the section on feeding. Different from chickens.

You can't go wrong with Cayugas! They're surprisingly sweet and affectionate for a, they're nice and stocky so there's little risk of injury from the occasional over-excited kid, and they have that lovely beetle-green color!

It all depends on how they are raised but the ones u should stay away from are mallards because they are more wild and they have a wild side and will bite

I have 3 pekins myself two females i bought from tractor supply when they were a week old and I got my drake when he was 5 months old. He has an angle wing... and he is very stand offish towards people... only one of my 2 females loves to be picked up and held by anyone... the other girl likes to bite. Both girls have been raised the same but they have completely different personalities... Personally i think you should get ducklings so you can get them used to people all together. The younger you get the duck the easier they can imprint on people.

I am going to suggest Welsh Harlequins! They are a newer breed. Calm, docile, very prolific layer, not flighty and they are great foragers! There are two phases; golden and silver. They are NOT MEAN! I have two daughters, six and seven, and they are very tolerant and downright patient with them! Here are some pictures of mine:

Last edited:
i have 2 pekin ducks they have a kiddy pool that they love i try and keep water in different areas we feed them 2 times a day...

Back
Top Bottom