Interested in getting into Chukars, however I have chickens who free range…

mksauce23

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 4, 2013
Kentucky
Hello!

I’m interested in getting into Chukars, however I have chickens who free range when I’m home.

I’ve read that they are susceptible to disease the chickens may carry. I live on a small acreage and would have the main bird enclosures separated. However, when my chickens free range they venture all over. Would that be a problem with the chickens being near the Chukar enclosure?

Also, for those who may raise both chickens and game birds… what precautions do you take going from one enclosure to the other for daily feeding & cleaning duties? In other words, would I need a completely different set of shoes, gloves, cleaning supplies and/or other tools. I am unfamiliar on what diseases these may be and how and/or how easily it can spread.

Thanks for any insight!

I don’t see an issue with chickens free-ranging nearby. As for your enclosure, you just want to make sure gamebird pen is safe and secure from predators and escape. I actually had a few chickens next door and even in with my chukars for a bit without issue. @007Sean and others may have more insight, but personally I wouldn’t go through all the trouble of separate boots etc.

I do practice a very high-level of biosecurity. I don't have any chickens but my neighbor does, they don't get very close to my pens...maybe 300 yards is as close as they get to the enclosures.
For my rare birds I do change shoes and clothes before entering their enclosures, seperate feed buckets and waterers....probably 'overkill' but I don't have nor have had any disease issues following this strict protocol.

I have a greater threat from wild birds transferring a disease than I do from my neighbors chickens. That having been said, I wouldn't want any other fowl around close to my gamebirds.

Back
Top Bottom